Status: I'm thinking about continuing this later. Whatchu think?

So ***ing Fine

That Was The Day

I'll never forget the day I met her. I was surrounded by friends who weren't my friends, and people who whispered about things that were none of their business. Normally, I would have rolled my mental eyes and just went along with it, ignoring the reality of it all, but that day was different. It was different because they weren't just gossiping, they were telling the truth, and sending fleeting glances at the physical evidence. She sat there on the sidewalk behind our school, blood on her hands and in her hair, a black eye forming underneath her huge sunglasses. I didn't know what to do, and evidently, no one else knew what not to do.

The girl was approached by no one, until the nurse and football coach decided they'd had enough of the distraction. They took her inside and yelled at her, asking her invasive questions that no one would ever want to answer. Of course, they didn't know how to tell when enough was enough, and neither did anyone else; not even me. I should have barged in earlier, but I was frozen at my place in the circle, standing there without a word, rumors forming all around me. This was the root of all evil. Now that I think back on it, I can't believe it took me so long to break free. I didn't move a muscle until the girl ran to the bathroom; I was the only one that saw the tears in her eyes, or knew of their existance.

Coach punched a locker, dented the home of some innocent soul's belongings, because of course, he was the one that should be mad at this point. Because some random girl ran in off the street and caused a ruckus among his team, and despite it being so obvious, no one seemed to care what she was going through. A few seconds later, I was storming inside, running after a pissed off coach. The nurse had finally gone in after the girl, and was hopefully helping her get cleaned up. By the time we arrived in the principal's office, I heard the nurse's shaking voice coming up slowly behind us, meaning they were out.

As soon as we were through that door, the world seemed to explode. It was hard to believe one small, seemingly harmless girl could cause so much chaos without actually doing much of anything. It didn't take long for me to start tuning the angry voices out, fore my mind was on other things. Other things that just so happened to waltz right through that door at a perfect time.

The nurse looked frightened, as the principal tried to calm down the coach, while the girl... she looked dead. Her eyes, especially, seemed to be stripped of all life. Being me, the stupid little girl I was, I couldn't think of more than three simple words to say, "Are you okay?" The girl's eyes barely had time to meet mine before the coach turned his wrath to me.

"She said SHE'S FINE!" he boomed, nearly knocking over a desk. Thinking back, it's a wonder his temper didn't get him fired sooner. Of course, though my fuse was a bit longer, my bite was nearly just as bad.

"Everyone is always so fucking 'FINE'!" I retorted, turning on him and the exhasperated principal, "but we are not. Sometimes, we are hurt and bruised and nearly completely shattered, and this, sir, is not what one calls FINE."

The coach fumed, his face bright red, it was easy to imagine his head exploding from sheer anger. Turning back to the girl, I remember the smirk that spread across her face as she looked at me. I don't remember what the coach screamed next, and I don't remember how long it took the principal the calm him down, nor do I remember who we saw on our way out; what I do remember, is the spark of mischevious life that flew through her eyes just before she grabbed my hand. After that, within seconds, we were out the door, shoving through crowds of people and into the world outside; and then we ran. We didn't say a single word, we just ran side by side all the way to the park in the woods.

That was the day I found my voice, and she found her guide. That was the day our life began.