Pumpkin

The Bet.

The past week was spent with Kat and she'd become my 'best friend' you could say. She was open, fun, and incredibly loud. Every day she has taken me to 'her pub' as she has referred to it, and I mean every day. It was every night that she would either have off work or get off of work. We walk in and everyone cheers, they all love the girl to death, but of course they were exceptionally cold to me once they heard my accent. No matter where I was or who I was with here I would always be a yank. Still, the guys at the bar, oh excuse me, the guys at the pub were starting to warm up to me. I'd been trying to be more like my grandpa, he was quick as a whip. I'm about as quick as a cross eyed cat.

Thing is, despite everyone giving me the cold shoulder here, the pub was very warm, like Kat. The people here were hysterical (from what I could understand of their slang) and actually nice, to Kat. She told me that they were starting to warm up to me, the man behind the bar mumbled a small, "Aye," at me when I walked in. I'm moving up a notch in their eyes.

Today would be the day they accepted me. Kat would always challenge them to drinking contests, most of them she won, and they seemed to have immense respect for her. The plan brewed (ha, no pun intended) in my head one night whe I was up watching some re-runs of this weird English guy with my parents. Apparently it's all they used to watch when they started dating.

As I took my seat in the stool next to Kat's I ordered us two pints. That's right; I did it. I had taken the innitiative to order because that's my new way of life now. I'm slowly getting over the fear of talking to strangers. I mean slowly too. My order consisted of me barely looking up at him, holding up two fingers and mumbling, "Two please." I'm so outspoken.

Kat slung her arm around my shoulders and looked at me, "You know, you're real pretty. You've got nice eyes. Long lashes."

I blinked, a little put off by her statement. "Thanks," I said quietly, taking a sip of my beer. Beer was disgusting, no matter what kind or flavor, it was gross, but Kat drank beer and all these guys liked her which once again brings me back to the plan.

"I be'," a black man in the corner stood and belched loudly, "Tha' none of yeh cunts can take meh in a drinkin' game."

Everyone in the bar booed at him, Kat called out, "Come off it!" No one took his challenge. Here was my chance. "I'll take you," I said, turning in my seat and staring right at the man. No one seemed shock, just curious, but no one said a word. The man stumbled over to the bar, grabbing onto the bar for support. He eyed me up and down, wobbling in place before nodding. "Bear! Grab two yards, will yeh? I'll take Boddehs Bittah, give 'er Tennants Extra." The drunk was smirking proudly, I had no idea what Tennants Extra or Bitter Bodies was, whatever they were called.

"Oh no, that's not fair," Kat said, a dangerous gleam in her eye. "Switch it 'round, aye? Won't be so fun then," she growled.

The bartender, or Bear as the drunk called him, grabbed one of the 'yards' and set it one the bar. "Bittah Boddies fer the both of 'em," he said. I eyed it and gulped. It faintly resembled an hour glass, it was clear with a funnel shaped opening that smoothed down and opened back up into a large sphere that was about as big as the funnel opening, so about three inches in diameter. It was a yard long, hence the name, and damn was it intimidating. It looked like it could hold three and a half, maybe four pints of beer. I was screwed.

He grabbed the other yard glass and started filling them up, the more beer that was in it, the more my fear grew. I couldn't back out now though or else I'd never be accepted. Kat laid her hand on my shoulder gently, her eyes were tough though, now was the time for our motivational speech. Sensei to grasshopper.

"Alright, all you got to do is drink, yeah? Drink and spin the glass, trust me." I nodded my head, "Spin and drink, got it."

By now both the glasses were filled, I took mine and held it up to my mouth, ready to go. My hands shook nervously as I gripped tightly onto the glass. Bear the bartender looked between us before grinning wickedly, "Go!"

The two of us tilted our heads back and drank greedily. This beer was unlike others, it was smooth and slid right down, still the taste wasn't too pleasant. I spun the glass as I drank, my eyes clamped shut, all I could hear was people cheering loudly and harsh coughing coming from in front of me. Peeking open an eye I could see that the guy was coughing roughly into his arm, almost half of his was gone. I needed to catch up and quick. So close, I kept telling myself, I was almost catching up to him.

I pulled away for a moment and gagged, out of the corner of my eye I noticed that the guy had picked his drink up and started going at it again.

"NO, NO, NO, DON' LE' 'IM WIN!" Everyone was screaming.

I was quick to start drinking and spinning again, it was too much, I was scared that I'd drown myself. It was over before I knew it. The guy had slammed his glass down and cheering loudly, everyone stopped yelling and sighed, some men handed the others cash while others shook their heads. I had lost. Fuck.

"Oi." I turned around, surprised to see Bear holding out a napkin. "Yeh did good, mate."

Gratefully I took the napkin and wiped at my mouth, "I think I'm gonna puke," I mumbled, causing him to laugh. A small smile made its way onto my face as Kat hugged me tightly, "You didn't puke all over yourself!" My smile only grew as a group of large burly men crowded around me and patted my back, "Good job," they all said. One of them even bought me a water. Finally the drunk guy that I had lost to stumbled closer. He stared at me for a bit before holding out his hand.

"Niceleh done," he said. I stared down at his hand and shook it, holding it firmly. He gave it one great shake before dropping it. Looking around, I saw two plates of fries or 'chips' in front of me. I furrowed my brow, "Whose are those?" I asked. Bear nodded over to the left, motioning to two guys with their backs turned to me.

"Bought 'em fer yeh." I looked over as one of them turned around, he was tall with short dark hair, he had a bit of a round, bigger nose, large stretched ears, and a crooked smile. He was actually quite handsome. He smiled at me and raised his glass a bit before turning to his friend.

I spent the rest of that night talking with the buff men, eating the free chips, and glancing at the guy with the lopsided smile. I was accepted.