Status: rewriting.

Imagination

2nd January 2011.

Passing the time away in the confines of her home, Dahlia Talbot felt safe away from the masses. Dahlia was a girl who welcomed continuity, remaining in an environment that she knew and was certain would do her no harm. Dahlia was, for all intents and purposes, introverted. She believed that working from home would keep her parents happy, making them think that she was merely studious rather than cautious. Dahlia's mother was sceptical over her daughter's actions. Although she was pleased with the grades that came through the door Dahlia's mother felt that her only daughter was in need of social interaction.

It was not the fear of acceptance that stopped Dahlia from living life outside her little bubble, it was her affiliation with untrustworthiness. Lying, a trait which Dahlia was not pleased of having had as a child. It had become second nature to her as she grew older, but the change in attitude of others towards her made her realise the mistakes she had made. Despite her desire and determination to change Dahlia had been outcast, she wasn't perceived as trustworthy, she was a backstabbing liar. Malicious whispers carried this message across the whole town, ensuring her inability to make friends without the constant paranoia that was associated with her. This resulted in her seclusion from the outside world. It was safer to be alone, she wouldn't get hurt that way.

The cold frost of mid-winter was welcomed wholeheartedly by Dahlia, winter was always her favourite season. Finding ways to entertain herself while her parent's were away was always more fruitful in winter than any other month because she felt like an adventurer in a frozen wasteland. Dahlia hummed to herself as she collected snow, compacting it so that she could successfully make a snowman. The silence was comforting and Dahlia felt at ease with herself, nothing could harm her here. It was the silence that made her react sceptically when something cold hit her head. Dahlia hadn't heard anything and yet she was pulling off compact snow from her hair. In fear she turned, expecting to come face to face with a kidnapper or thief. She was unprepared for any type of attack but decided to face her fate. The absence of a living sole was certainly not what she was expecting.

Feeling the hairs on the back of her neck rise, Dahlia returned to her neglected snowman and cautiously placed more snow on it. She strained to hear any sound that could give away the whereabouts of the snowball thrower and when she heard a creak she turned, snowball in hand. Although it seemed like a useless weapon Dahlia planned to use it as best she could under the circumstances. She threw the snowball in the direction the sound had come from. She waited for a moment, her pulse racing as she began to breathe erratically.

"You missed," a voice called out. Dahlia felt her heart skip a beat and scrunched her eyes so as to see the owner of the voice. A soft chuckle ensued and a man of a similar, or perhaps slightly older, age to Dahlia stepped out from the trees. The quivering girl stood defensively, frantically looking for a means to escape. At the assertion that he had done more damage than he intended, Sebastian placed both hands before himself so as to show her that he meant no harm. When she allowed him to come a relatively close distance to her he stretched out his hand, intending on introducing himself.

"My name's Sebastian," he said with a warm smile. After a moment's hesitation Dahlia placed her hand in his and shook it.

"Dahlia." Sebastian's smile widened and Dahlia returned the favour, feeling safer in his presence little by little. "Are you from around here?" she asked.

"No, I'm from somewhere far away. And good riddance, I needed a change."

"So my back garden is a change?" Dahlia teased. Sebastian laughed as he shook his head softly.

"I didn't mean to scare you," he said truthfully. "I just couldn't find anywhere else to go."

Dahlia laughed.

"Seriously? There are hotels and bed and breakfasts everywhere."

"I can't risk going there," he said quickly, before checking himself and changing conversation. "I'll make it up to you, I promise," he said as he held out his little finger. Dahlia gave him a puzzeled look but locked her little finger in his all the same. He didn't know about her past, he wouldn't judge her for actions she feared to admit to have done.

"So why are you here?" Dahlia asked, trying to learn more about him.

"I needed to get away from the people who know me." Dahlia looked at him questioningly but when he refused to make further comment she nodded, not knowing what to say. Sebastian was going through something she clearly wouldn't understand. Dahlia had no time to react when Sebastian placed his hand on her mouth and dragged her behind the cover of trees, she writhed in his grasp and he beckoned her to be quiet. Her parents had returned home. Seh nodded when Sebastian asked her to be quiet again. He removed his hand from her mouth and smiled apologetically.

"I'm sorry but I can't risk being seen by many people. I know that sounds stupid but I need to ask you to promise me something," he asked, pausing to ensure her attention. "I need you to promise me not to tell anyone, especially your parents, about me. Okay?" Sebastian looked at her with pleading eyes and when he held his little finger up she nodded and locked their fingers again. She tried to catch him out so she could find out what he was hiding, but she couldn't decipher anything. Sebastian turned to walk away and Dahlia called out to him.

"Why do you need me to keep this secret?"

"I need to be sure that I am out of any danger. I will try to explain it to you at a different time." Dahlia watched as he ran away and only responded to her motherl on second calling. Dahlia returned to the safe confines of her home more confused than she had ever been before. She tried to concentrate on other tasks but all she could do was think of the quirky man she had just met and why he could be in danger.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment and subscribe.