Status: rewriting.

Imagination

21st February 2011.

Sebastian walked through the vibrant streets of the city centre, keeping his head low and his hands in his pockets. His breathing was heavy as he walked, he felt like they were all watching him and yet when he looked up he saw no one. They were oblivious to his noticeable anxiety His guilt riddled mind was playing tricks on him and he muttered prayers under his breath. As a child Sebastian had never taken heed of his father's religious ways. He'd neither listened nor believed in God and now, in his most desperate moment, he felt like he could do little else, it was almost pathetic.

The streets bustled with life, groups of children rode their bikes closely and he flinched when they rode past him. A security guard strode among the citizens and it was all that Sebastian could do not to run in the other direction. He had no blood on his hands and yet he felt like his sins were on public show. Sebastian turned a corner, he advanced towards the church where, he hoped, he'd find some comfort. Sebastian kept his head bowed as he entered the holy sanctuary because of his terrified feelings of being on show to a higher power. Quickly, Sebastian forced that thought out of his mind and he looked around to see who was in attendance. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that only a weary-looking old lady was sitting at first pew.

Sebastian sat in the pew the furthest away from the elderly woman. The woman did not stir from her position as she held a rosary to her lips. He had to be careful, the men he had been trying to unravel for so long had spies everywhere. They were like that. He closed his eyes as he began to repent, stopping himself whenever he muttered too loudly under his breath to check the woman had not noticed. However, when he lost himself in the spoken word he could not stop and his plead for forgiveness came out in a flurry of inconceivable mutterings. Sebastian had to rub his eyes several times in order to stop his tears of shame. When he stood to leave the old woman did not stir and he felt reassured that she had not been listening to his confession.

As he left the church he thought of Dahlia, the girl who had sworn herself to silence for him. He still couldn't quite understand how she had done as he'd asked so willingly but he thanked God that she had. Perhaps she would help him rid the town of the corruption which had such a tight hold over them, but he could not be sure. He had promised he would return to her but he knew that now was not yet the time. Sebastian was still aware of those around him, those that, had they caught sight of him, would have told the authorities within an instant. It was all he could do to sleep in the forest surrounding the town. He had barely any money for food supplies after he had procured a tent and he began to notice the difference in his size. His cheeks began to hollow and his clothes hung loose. Sebastian waited impatiently for the day he would be free to roam the streets again without the need to keep his guard up.

Sebastian, had in fact, checked on Dahlia. He needed to ensure that she had not been merely staging an act to gain his trust when they had first met. It was a great comfort to Sebastian to know that Dahlia was waiting for his return, he did not mean it harmfully but it made Sebastian almost certain he would be able to trust her when the time was right. But for now, despite his desire to take sanctuary in her home, he would have to remain hidden. At least only for a short while longer.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment and subscribe