Lullaby

Chapter 2

The girls and I were getting ready before the game, when I saw my brother running over to us. "What's wrong?" I asked, confused.

He sighed. "Dad said he wasn't going to be able to make it." My heart dropped. "So, he sent this with me." He held up one of Dad's lucky bracelets.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"Here, I'll put it on for you." At least it was small enough and you wouldn't be able to see it if you were sitting in the stands.

"Did he say why he couldn't come?" I asked, actually a little hurt that he wasn't coming to the first game.

Gunner shrugged. "I don't know."

I nodded, before straightening. "Well, I have to get back." I walked away before anything else was said.

"And tonight, we have our amazing Dance Line, under the coordination and Captain of Jasmine Ferrana." Our usual announcer said through the stadium. "This is her Senior year, and first year as Captain. Here's their performance to the song Poor Some Sugar On Me."

There weren't any words describing the feeling of being on the field during half time. It gave you an absolute rush, the best feeling you could get without using any kind of narcotics.

I don't have anything against cheerleaders, but I feel like dancing lets your body flow more. You aren't stuck with stiff movements. You get to combine ballet, jazz, and free lance all in one, or any others. Not to mention we didn't have to wear skirts...

When we had finished our performance, everyone went wild. "I have no doubt we'll win Nationals again this year. Good job, and good luck girls." The announcer said, before we walked off the field.

For the past six years, we had one Nationals and this year wasn't going to be any different. I'm not trying to be cocky, but we did work our asses off. We put in the extra hours and works out, when other teams slacked off. We wanted that title, and we were going to get it. But we still knew that we had to have fun doing it, and we did.

"Great job tonight, Girls. I see you at practice tomorrow afternoon?" I said as we grabbed our bags and were ready to head out after the game had ended.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow, Jas," Milly said, waving and leaving the field.

As usual, I was the last one to leave, making sure all the girls got everything and were okay. I guess you could say I was the mother duck of the group, but I didn't mind.

"Well, if I didn't know better, I would say that you guys were going for an 80's theme this year." My jaw dropped as I saw Dad waiting for me by my car, with a bouquet of flowers.

"Nice song, by the way," Uncle Tommy said, smirking.

I laughed, shaking my head. "You would like that song." I turned back to Dad. "Gunner told me you weren't going to be able to make it," I said, giving him a confused look.

"Exactly. That was part of my distraction for you so I could surprise you." He smiled, handing me the flowers. "Great job, Baby." He pulled me into a tight hug, kissing the top of my head.

"Was it good?" I asked, unsure.

"Uh, duh," Uncle Tommy said, looking at me like I was crazy.

"I was just making sure, gees." I laughed.

"What do you say we go grab something to eat? I think you worked up an appetite," Dad said, taking my bag from me.

I thought about practice tomorrow, but pushed it away, knowing that this was a rare chance that I would be able to hang out with my dad. "Sure, where at?"

"How about that one little diner a few blocks away from the house?" He said, trying to think of the name.

"Don't hurt yourself trying to think of the name, Dad. I know what you're talking about." Uncle Tommy laughed, as Dad sent him a dirty look. "I'll meet you guys there," I said, giving Dad a quick kiss on the cheek, before getting into my car.

When I got to the diner, Dad and Uncle Tommy had already gotten a booth. "So, are you guys really going to do an 80's theme this year?" Dad asked after we order some drinks.

"I was thinking about it. You know me, stuck in the 80's, just like my father," I said, rolling my eyes.

Uncle Tommy laughed. "At least you're only stuck when it comes to music. He still hasn't figured anything else to do with his hair for the last, what, forty years?"

"Just keep the jokes coming, Buddy. I'll get you back later," Dad said.

"Anyways..." Uncle Tommy rolled his eyes, giving me a yeah, right look.

"Hey, sorry I'm late." I looked up, surprised to see DJ. "Hey, Jas. How'd it go tonight?" He asked, sliding into the booth next to Dad.

"Pretty good."

He nodded. "That's good. I was going to try to make it, but I got stuck in traffic."

I waved him off. "It's fine."

"What're you doing tomorrow, Jas?" Dad asked.

"Just practice in the afternoon. Other than that, I'm free. Why?"

He frowned. "What time in the afternoon?"

"From Noon to four."

"Why do you guys practice so much?" Uncle Tommy asked, shaking his head.

"Because we need to be prepared for Nationals. Plus, we usually switch our routines up every other week to fit a new song."

He shook his head. "You guys are crazy."

I shrugged. "It's what we love to do, like music is what you guys love to do."

Dad and DJ had went off onto their own little discussion, and soon things turned into business about the bands and other things. Well, there goes my night...

I just sat back and listened to them talk, not really having a chance to talk. I probably could have slipped away and gone home by now, and they wouldn't have noticed.

But, that's how things are. It's better to get used to them, then have them bother you all the time.
♠ ♠ ♠
So? What do you guys think? Keep or no?