Lullaby

Chapter 7

The next day I was meeting up with some friends at the beach. They were having a random party for one of our friends who just got back from Australia. He’d been gone all summer, so we hadn’t had a chance to do anything.

“Hey, Missy, what’s new with you?” Kim asked after I showed up.

“Not much, glad to be out of the house today,” I sighed, dropping my bag on the sand and laying next to her.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Jason frowned, sitting next to us.

“Just some shit with Dad and the guys. Uncle Tommy isn’t speaking to me right now…”

Jason’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “That bad, huh?”

“Unfortunately…”

“Well, no thinking about it! We’re here to have fun today!” Kim always knows how to liven up the party. That’s why she’s such a great friend.

“And look who finally decided to show up.” I looked up to see Kenny.

“And look who finally decided to come back to the country!” I threw back at him.

He laughed, shaking his head. “Come give me a hug, you big goof!” He yelled, holding his arms out.

I stood up before jumping on him. “You, butt head! You said you were going to write me!”

“He got caught up with some Sheila’s down under, ain’t that right, Mate?” Jason teased in a horrible impersonation of an Australian accent.

“That’s right, Mate. Them girls are feisty down there, I tell ya.”

Kim and I rolled our eyes at the boys. They were so dumb sometimes, but you had to love them. Who else would?

“Jas, come swimming with me!” Kenny called to me a little while later.

“Lover boy’s calling, better go see what he wants,” Kim said, giving me a wink.

“Shut up, punk! I swear, you don’t make any sense.” I shook my head at her.

Kim and almost all of our other friends have it in their heads that Kenny has a thing for me. Why? I have no idea. Since we started freshman year, they’ve said this, but it obviously must not be true since he still hasn’t made a move!

In all truth, I wouldn’t mind dating Kenny. He’s a really great guy, and knows how to treat his girls. Why do you think we’re such good friends? But he’s also a very big adventurer and I’m big on my dancing. So, it makes it hard for us to spend a lot of time together…

“You either get your own butt in this water, or I will drag you in here!” he called back to me.

“I’m coming! Gees, impatient much?!”

“That’s what she said!” Jason cackled. We both rolled our eyes at our mentally impaired friend. He really does worry me sometimes…

It was a little after sunset, and we had started the bon fire. Not too long after, Dad had called me, wondering when I was going to be home. “It’s still a school night, you know,” he said softly, trying to play the friend roll, but at the same time be a dad.

I know, but it’s barely eight. I’ve stayed out later on school nights before…”

He sighed. “No later than nine, Jasmine.” By the tone of his voice, I knew there was no arguing with him.

“Dad?” Kenny questioned, sitting next to me.

I nodded, putting my phone in my bag. “Yeah, he wants me home no later than nine.” I rolled my eyes, not being too happy with the idea.

“He just worries about you,” he said, giving me a soft smile.

I groaned. “No taking his side! You’re supposed to be on my side, mister!” I pouted.

“Hey, I’d worry about you, too. You are Nikki Sixx’s daughter,” he said, nudging my side and giving me a wink.

“Don’t remind me,” I mumbled.

“Hey, none of that, you know you love it.” I gave him a look and he stopped. “Maybe not all the time…”

“It wouldn’t be so bad if he was home more,” I sighed.

“I know, but that’s why you have me!” he exclaimed, wrapping his arms around me.

“Oh, yes, I have no idea what I would do without my Kenny!”

It was true, though… Without Kenny, Jason and Kim, there was no telling what I would do. They were what kept me sane, well, most of the time. They were my family away from family, they were there when I couldn’t go to anyone else. And, if I didn’t have them, I would most likely be alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
In the middle of my computer class... soooo bored!