Status: On hiatus. No updates until further notice

Nothing But A T-Shirt On

Amy Sanders

“Now, when you say you want me to meet your parents… exactly what does that mean?” I asked.

We were in my hotel room. Matt wanted to go to the house he still kept in Huntington Beach but I was too tired from the show and this was much closer. We were under the covers that felt like a cloud, facing each other.

Matt chuckled. “I mean, we’re already in California. They’ve been bugging me about meeting you since I made the stupidest mistake of my life and told my sister about you.”

“I see…” I scratched the back of my hand. “You know, I’ve never really done the whole meet-the-parents things.”

“Come on Jo. This isn’t high school. We’re all adults and they just want to meet you. They’re not going to put you through the third degree. If anything, Amy’s the one you have to be careful about especially since she probably saw us on the Tyra Banks show.”

I crossed my eyes before shutting them. “I’m beginning to regret doing that show. What if it was more harm than good? Now, cameras are going to be everywhere and not just at work.”

Matt rubbed my back. “I promise it’ll work out for you. I’d like to say that any publicity is good publicity but I’d be lying… You’re a good girl Jo. Nothing bad will happen.”

“But bad things always happen to good people!”

Matt pushed back the covers. “You know what you need? You need a towel and a bathing suit.”

With a confused look I sat up. “Why?”

“Because we’re going for a little trip downstairs to the giant Jacuzzi. It was calling my name when we first walked in but now I think I hear it calling yours too.” Matt lowered his voice, “Joelle… Joelle…”

I giggled and swung my feet over the side of the bed. “That’s so convincing.”

Matt proudly put his closed fists on his hips. “I practice in the mirror when I’m alone. Now hurry up!”

I quickly changed into a bikini and put a tank top and shorts over. I grabbed a towel and slipped on my flip flops. We went straight for the Jacuzzi. Matt stripped down to just his basketball shorts and got in before me.

“I could boil in here waiting on you,” Matt teased.

I stuck my tongue out at him as I dipped my foot in. I eased in slowly, keeping my elbows above the gentle bubbles. I threw my hair into a messy bun at the very top of my head and made my way over to Matt. He positioned me between his legs and I rested on his chest.

He ran his hands up and down my arms. “Relaxing isn’t it?”

I closed my eyes and nodded. “You’re a genius.”

“All in a day’s work.”

“I’d be careful if I were you. If you keep this up I’ll have no choice but to fall in love with you.”
I froze once I realized what words just spilled from my mouth. I sat up and locked gazes with Matt who held a surprised expression that surpassed my own. I stuttered, trying to find something, anything, to counter what I’d just said.

The door to the Jacuzzi room busted open.

“I’m sorry but you’re not allowed in here!”

We saw the poor guy from behind the front desk being shoved to the side by a mob of angry photographers. They were flashing away at Matt and I, completely shattering our relaxation. Matt sprung into action by lifting me out of the tub. We gather up our clothes and pushed through the picture-hungry camera people. I gripped Matt’s hand as if my life depended on it and we raced toward the lobby.

The few bell boys that were lounging around quickly gathered that we were being chased and did their best to stand in the way on the oncoming paparazzi. They couldn’t have been much of an obstacle because by the time we were outside and snagged the first awaiting taxi, they were pressing against the windows, still trying to get pictures.

The cab took off and I slumped into my seat. Matt’s hand was still firmly wrapped around mine but his other was clenched in a tight fist on his knee. I brought my hand to his cheek soothingly.

“At least we got away,” I said quietly.

He smirked bitterly. “Yeah, after they got a slew of pictures, those heartless bitch-ass horse fuckers.”

I snorted. “Really?”

Matt’s frowned eased a little. “Yeah…”

“So where to?” the cab driver asked.

“Huntington Beach.”

---

I glared at Matt as we pulled up to his parents’ house. He paid the fare and we got out. Slowly, we walked toward the front door.

“Any other day would’ve been fine Matt. I’ve still got a huge wet spot on the front of my shorts. It looks like I fucking peed on myself!”

Matt’s eyes widened. “You cursing… It’s cute.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Besides, you never look anything less than beautiful… even after that time we brought that strawberry and chocolate syrup up to your room and put it all over your-”

“Matt!” I said, my cheeks taking on a deep red.

He smiled seductively. “What? I’m just trying to prove a point. That spot will dry in no time.”

I rolled my eyes again and motioned for him to ring the door bell. It only took a minute for someone to answer the door. A pretty girl with brown hair and a wide smile answered the door. It took only half a second for her to recognize Matt and she flung her arms around his neck. Matt chuckled and lifted her from the ground, twirling around in a circle.

“What are you doing here Matty?” she asked with a giggle.

Matt set the girl down, still smiling. “We needed a hideout.”

“Aw, this sucks. You just missed Mom and Dad,” she said with a pout. Then she glanced at me. “And who is this?”

Matt put his arm around my shoulders. “This is Joelle, my girlfriend. Jo, this is my sister Amy.”

I smiled and shook Amy’s hand. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Trust me, the pleasure’s all mine! Matty hasn’t brought a girl home in a long time.”

“Well, let us in. I told you we needed a hideout.”

I followed Matt inside and looked around the spacious home. Amy ran out to get the mail and I admired the Sanders’ taste in furniture. All oak wood and gold accents gave the house a beautiful, lived-in feel. I turned my attention to the pictures that were scattered on the walls and along the fireplace. Pictures of Matt from his childhood caused me to giggle. He was so adorable.

“Oh, please don’t look at those,” Matt groaned. “It took all my twenty nine years to look this good.”

I nudged him. “You look cute.”

Amy came back, shuffling through the mail. She kicked the door closed behind her and plopped down on the dark brown leather couch. She tossed the envelopes to the coffee table but held onto an Elle magazine.

“Come and sit. Get comfy. Tell me exactly why you’re on the run now.”

I sat on the recliner and Matt sat beside his sister.

Matt chuckled. “Well, there are reporters and photographers following us.”

“Harassing would be a better word,” I interjected.

Amy frowned. “Wow Matt. I didn’t know Avenged Sevenfold had gotten that famous.”

“Well it’s not just me Ames. It was Jo that they were trying to get to.”

She looked at me. “Are you some kind of hotel heiress or something?”

I giggled. “Not at all. I just do a little modeling.”

Matt rolled his eyes. “A little?” he asked before taking the magazine from Amy. He flipped through the pages while she complained that she was about to read it. He opened the magazine to an Yves Saint-Laurent spread featuring me. Amy’s jaw dropped slightly and she took the magazine back.

“That’s you,” she said.

“Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner," Matt said.

Amy nodded. “Impressive. You’re really pretty Joelle.”

“Thanks.”

“I know for a fact that Mom will love you if she finds this out. She loves ambition.”

“When are they getting back?” Matt asked.

Amy shrugged and my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out and saw Patrick was calling me. I excused myself from the room to answer.

“Hey Patrick.”

“Joelle, where the hell are you?”

“Huntington Beach. What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing. I just came to your hotel looking for you and the guy behind the desk said you ran out, trying to escape a group of rabid paparazzi. I had no idea where you went!”

“Sorry,” I said with a small chuckle. “Matt brought me to his parents’ house. I’m fine.”

“Ok, just give me the address and I’ll send a car to pick you up. Tyra invited us to a party but I think we should just go home.”

“She did?” I exclaimed. “But we should go. It’s not nice to not make an appearance.”

Patrick laughed. “I know but there will be a lot of cameras and you haven’t been exposed to that kind of publicity yet. I don’t want you in over your head.”

I pouted. “Fine… You’ve never led me astray so I’ll take your word for it.”

“Good girl. Text me the address and I’ll have a car there in an hour.”

“Ok. Bye.”

I ended the call and texted him the address before going back into the living room. Both Amy and Matt looked up at me.

“What’s up?” he asked.

“Patrick is sending a car for me. We’ve got a flight to catch back to New York tonight.”

Matt’s smile weakened. “But we just got here.”

“I know and I do want to stay but Patrick is always right about things like this. Just because I’m going tonight doesn’t mean you have to. Stay here with the guys and your family as long as you want.”

Matt tugged on my arm and I sat on his lap. He kissed my cheek. “I was just telling my sister how amazing you are.”

I smiled. “Only on my good days.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't realize it had been so long since I last updated. A million apologies! Thank you everyone for your comments!