Status: Short Story!

Jocelyn Edwards' Journal

Entry One

August 14, 2004
My name is Jocelyn Edwards. I am fifteen years old. People everywhere stare at me like I am an alien and a poor excuse for a child. All they see is a loser and a shallow, depressed soul. But they don't even know the reason why.
I love the color Yellow. It is bright and happy and warm. Which is something i can only dream of being. My light brown hair falls in clumps around my discolored skin. My eyes are a light green, the color of jade. I live in a small town in Idaho, where there are virtually no secrets, seeing as how rumors AND facts travel around in a matter of seconds. I wear a lot of dark clothes. They hide the blood and the bruises. I turn to God and my older brother, James when I need help. But God isn't always there to help with my troubles as much as James is. He is only twenty-one and already fighting in Afghanistan. I keep in touch with him as much as i can through letters. But I can only write when HE isn't around. I love James more than anything in this pitiful excuse for a world. He is the reason why I can keep going throughout the day. He is my best friend. My only friend. I lost my younger sister, Annabeth, when I was only fourteen years old. She was only twelve at the time. My dad just picked up and left us when I was three, but not alone. We still had our mom-a sorry use of the word- but she's an alcoholic and is usually drunk all of the time. When she isn't, she sleeps. I haven't had an actual conversation with her-when she's been sober- since I was thirteen. During the incident. She doesn't believe anything I say anymore. Or even listen.
Well, that just leaves HIM. I try my hardest to stay away from HIM, not to get in his way, or in the line of HIS nasty vision, to stay away from HIS hands-which can entrap you like a snare and a cage. Hoping and wishing HE doesn't see me, so I don't get a beating.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yess, not very good I know, this was only a school project, so don't expect it to be fantastic.