Status: new and active :)

Promise You'll Save Me

Chapter Three

“Thanks for showing me around. I would have been lost without you,” Ryder said in his accent as we made our way to the lunch room.

“It’s not a big deal,” I replied as I pushed the door open.

The lunchroom was a scary place for an outcast like me. I actually felt sorry for Ryder. He was stuck with me which meant he was an outcast too. Well at least for now. He could leave me for another group of friends.

“Hey look there’s the alcoholic,” a football player said laughing with his friends as we passed their tables.

“What does he mean by that?” Ryder asked confused.

I stopped short. Usually I could forget about what was just said about me but since I was with Ryder, I now had to make up some excuse.

“Oh, nothing. You know how football players are; being mean to boast their egos,” I lied, pulling Ryder along.

He didn’t just say anything. He just followed me to the tree that I usually sat under. I patted the space beside me for him to sit.

“What are you doing after school?” Ryder asked.

“Nothing, why?” I returned.

“I was thinking you could show me around town.”

“I would love to.” I smiled.

He smiled back. We sat in silence the rest of lunch.



I looked through the racks of clothes in the local thrift store. I lost Ryder in the store. I wasn’t worried though. The store wasn’t too big. He could find me when he needed me.

“Hey, Addie,” a voice said from behind me.

I turned around to see Ryder in bright lime green pants and the ugliest plaid shirt I have ever seen. He had a big ole goofy grin on his face.

“Does this scream me?” He asked, making me bust out into laughter.

“Oh, definitely,” I said sarcastically. Both of us laughed. “You might want to go change before you start think you actually look good in the outfit.”

He smiled and walked off to wherever the dressing rooms were.

“You two seem to being getting cozy with each other,” Levi said, making me jump.

“Oh jeez Levi, you scared me,” I said.

“Sorry. So do you like him?”

I rolled my eyes. “He’s a nice guy. We’re become friends.”

“Oh come on, Addie. Don’t give me that crap. Just tell me that you like him.”

“I just met the dude.”

“Oh whatever. I know you like him.”

“Shut up, Levi.”

“How are you talking to, Addie?” Ryder asked coming to stand beside me.

“Oh no one,” I lied once again. I mentally cursed myself for not being more carefully.

“Ok, well I have to get home. My mom is getting worried.” Ryder held up his phone signaling that his mom called him.

“Ok, well I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He gave me a hug before we went our separate ways.



I entered the garage to get into the house but froze when I saw the red truck out of the corner of my eyes. It was Levi’s truck. I ran my hand over the hood. It was my grandfather’s old truck that he gave to Levi when he turned 16. I remembered the cold days we spent bundled up because the heat didn’t work and the nights that we ride out to a middle of a field to talk about our days. I hadn’t seen the truck since Levi died.

“Man, it’s been a long time since we took a drive in this car,” Levi said, leaning up against his old truck.

“Yea,” I said in a small voice.

“You okay?”

“It just sits here, much like your room.”

“Well then ask for it.”

My eyes snapped up to meet Levi’s. “What?”

“Ask for the truck. You’re 16. You need a car.”

“It’s too early for that.”

“You can’t keep acting like I’m still here. Don’t you see what it is doing to our family?”

I stayed silence, knowing what he talking about.

“Ask for the damn car, Addie.” His eyes didn’t leave mine. His voice was stern.

My eyes darted downwards.

“Why don’t you get the keys and we go for a ride? No one’s home.” His voice was soft seeing me so weak.

I grabbed the keys of the hook on the wall. I opened the door to the driver’s side. I stared at it. It seemed wrong for me to be driving his truck. I looked to Levi who was urging me to get in the car while getting into the passenger’s side. I slowly got in, turning the key. The sound of engine roaring was music to my ears. I made my way to our favorite place.

“Remember when I taught you how to drive,” Levi said, staring out the window.

“Yea, and I almost ran into a tree,” I said laughing.

“Well, look like I taught you well.” He laughed as I pulled into the field.

It wasn’t long before we were laying in the bed of the truck watching the clouds go by. It was like old time except we usually would watch the stars. Levi was singing to some song that was playing from the radio.

“Why did you come back?” I asked, breaking the silence.

“I already told you,” Levi answered.

“Yeah, yeah, to make sure that I’m okay when you’re gone. But that’s not all is it?” I turned to look at him.

“No, it’s not. Our family is falling apart. I came back to fix it.”

“But how are you going to do it? I’m the only one that can see you.”

“That’s why I need your help.”

I looked straight in his eyes, knowing that mine were showing that I was scared. “How am I supposed to do it?”

Levi didn’t say anything, just turned away from my stare.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry for not being able to update. I was busy with school and my dog took off two keys of my keyboard to my laptop. So I updated both of my stories to show how sorry i am.
Enjoy :)
Comments make me happy.