Tears of Sane

Part 1 (Prologue)

The cold rain tapped gently on the chilled fogged window, giving the countless people a series of inconsistent rhythms; not one of the people dared to interrupted its pattering whispers. The clouds about stained the sky with webbings of black, violent, and charcoaled gray. They didn't linger with a snail's pave; instead the dreaded clouds slithered and waved like a vast ocean of snaked that engulfed the entire sky. The sun was up there, but there was no light that penetrated the grinding snaked of clouds; all that the sun could do with all its glory, was to summon a faint maroon tint to the atmosphere outside.

Inside, the florescent lights gave the people a normal glow. Inside this multi-level bunker, the people were people and the earth was earth; and after a few minutes inside the bunkers, the people slowly began to whisper, talk, chat, and eventually began to enjoy their time in the bunker. Inside the bunker of steel and concrete, the citizens of Risim hid from the rain.

After minutes of entry, the people laughed and sang and pretended like the rain didn't exist. They all conversed about what they did last time they bunkered, conversed about how Bunker 2D had a pool or how Bunker 3A had poker games until the sun broke the clouds away.

Everyone enjoyed their few hours in the bunker, everyone enjoyed their life; everyone but one. While everyone feared the rain, one dared to challenge it. While everyone bowed to the clouds' mercy, one refused to cower. She wasn't the bravest, but she had an attitude to match, she wasn't the smartest, but she had intuition knowledge didn't dare to cross. She wasn't a princess that cared for her people; she was just a princess that was tired of it all.

“Oh come one Mace!” Huffed Elena, “Are you telling me you never once wondered why it happens? How we can't ever remember the sun? How we only remember seeing the rain coming before we hurry inside, and how we watch the clouds crawl away before we loss our memories! Don't you care why?” Her emerald green hues glittered in the fogged reflection of the window. Her glazed dark chocolate brown hair caressed the bottom of her ears, across her peached cheeks. A deep purple ribbon tied tightly like a hose onto the back of her head down to her neck; serving as the base of her beautiful pony tail that tracked gracefully down to her tail bone.

The man across from her watched Princess Elena's beautiful reflection with his deep brown eyes. Watched her rant about their lives without ever peeling her eyes off the rain. He was well built, long black strands of chard black hair partially covered his eyes. He chuckled lightly, “No Princess, I rather stay out of-”

Elena snapped her gaze towards Mace, “Don't call me that! You know I hate it!”

Once again Mace gave a light chuckle, “Sorry miss, you know I love your reaction.”

“Whatever,” Elena sighed harshly as she turned her orbs back to the rain. She despised being called 'Princess.' She wasn't modest and wished to be known as simply Elena, but instead this princess wanted to be the queen. Maybe then she could change things for the better, “And don't call me miss either, I'm not a little girl!” Elena also hated being treated like a child.

“You are only 19 miss.”

“You were saying?”

“I was saying I rather not mess with what doesn't kill me. I heard that a few assholes went out again, their bodies were found only yards away from the bunker entrance. When day came, some of the people just picked them off and carried them away. Their bodies were completely mangled and green.”

“You believe that shit?”

“You don't?”

“That's just a rumor. No one ever remembers what they do in the day light, if they ever do anything at all. You know how we get.”

“Yeah..”

“But don't you fret about it,” Elena proudly pounced to her feet with a devilish grin, “That'll all change soon.”

“What do you mean?”

She turned to Mace with her hands on her hips, “Doctor Kouza is helping me.”

Mace hesitantly rose to his feet, “D-Doctor Kouza? That guy is a nut job!”

Elena crossed her arms, “He believes in the before days like I do.”

“So he's the one filling your head with this stupid shit?”

Elena once again snapped, this time catching attention of a crowd around the two, “It's not stupid mace! He's right! I know he's right!”

“Can you prove it?”

“I...” Elena slowly exhaled, “It's just a feeling I have okay! Come on!” With that Elena stormed off toward the bunker elevator. Mace didn't hesitate to follow. Elena was always head strong with finding the truth; very rarely did she ever do anything with impulse. If Elena had a 'Gut Feeling' about something, she was probably right.

***

Elena walked out of the elevator that connected the bunker to the underground tunnels that connected all the bunkers. A crowd formed around the gates that were set up for the small tunnel trains. She glared at the crowd and cleared her throat, “Hey!” She started pacing toward the crowd as they turned and quickly stepped out of her way. The beautiful princess wasn't feared despite her very brash and sometimes harsh methods; instead, the people loved her. She was very beautiful, she was head strong, and above all, she was generously kind when she wanted to be. They all smiled as Elena stormed past them, “Official business people, out of my way!” Mace followed close behind.

Once Elena got to gate, the train cart operator walked toward her before bowing, “How may I help you Princess Elena?”

“Well first of all, you can do me the favor and NEVER call me that again!” She growled under her breath, “Or I'll have you cast into the rain! Understand?”

Mace gently patted Elena's back, “Calm miss, calm.”

Elena sighed as she forced herself into a calm, “I apologize my good citizen, you have done nothing wrong to me at all. But please, may you just send a cart to the private bunker A-23 please?”

The man stepped back, “Y-Yes, I will Miss. Consider it done!”

Elena would have snapped, but she found no point. Mace had called her 'Miss' So it would have been too harsh to snap at the man for following Mace's lead. She gave the man a sweet smile, “Thank you sir, I appreciate it.” The man gazed at Elena's smile and nodded proudly, it was a smile worth more than his pay.