‹ Prequel: Caught In The Middle
Sequel: Maternity Bedlam
Status: almost at the finish line

Captain Diapers

Diamonds In The Rough

Chapter 10

With the stress of Dad not wanting to speak to me after he finds out about marrying Jonathan, I needed to find a place to unwind. I haven’t had a meaningful conversation with him since he called that morning. The news went public when that girl kissed and tell to the Tribune about seeing us at the clerk’s office. Obviously, news spread very fast in Grand Forks. I knew he was mad but didn’t expect him to give me the silent treatment.

On the other hand, Jonathan’s parents warm up quickly. I was still shocked that Andree changed her tune that morning while I was eating breakfast. She wanted to sure that we’re doing this for all the right reasons and not because of obligation or as a rebound. Plus, this was her first grandchild. His father and David called and congratulated us; despite thinking the way we got together was a little unorthodox.

As for his teammates, it came as a surprise but they were supportive. Brent Seabrook said he’s glad it was Jonathan first since he seems more marriage ready than Patrick. I started to spend some time with the Hawks WAGs, especially Abby since she and I are 4 months into our pregnancies. It was Abby, along with my boss Sunny, who suggested this prenatal yoga class nearby.

“So your sister is driving up tonight?” Abby asked as we sat on our mats before the start of the class.

“She’s on her way.” The Blues and Hawks were playing this evening at the United Center, the first half of a home-and-home series between the two rival teams. This would be a good chance the four of us can talk before Daddy comes to town tomorrow. “She’s really excited to see the bump.”

“I envy you for having such a small baby bump.” Abby and I are due on the same week but her bump is bigger than mine. She swore she and Sharpie aren’t having twins but I guess we have different bodies. “You can at least say you gain a little gut and not be like ‘yeah I’m pregnant. Bite me.’ You know Jonathan’s lucky to have someone like you.”

“Really?”

“Patrick said he’s been more relaxed in the locker room since you came along.” Abby giggled. “He’s not as serious as he used to be.”

“I didn’t mean to change him.”

“It’s a good thing. Look how good the Hawks have been since the start of the season.” I admit Abby was right. The Hawks only lost 2 regulation games since the season started in early October. “Plus you’re managing things better now everything is out in the open. You know stress isn’t good for the baby.”

“I’m just not happy that my dad isn’t too thrilled about it. I didn’t mean to lie to him.” I started to lie down on the mat.

“He’ll come around.” I hope Abby is right.

Mallory and I had the table set up as we wait for our men to come back from the game. In the end, the Hawks won the game by shootout, even though TJ scored 2 goals. We decided on something light like a chicken salad with several dressings on the side. It’s good to see my sister after a couple of months.

“You seem to be in a good mood.” I asked as I placed the forks on the table. “What is it?”

“TJ proposed!” Mallory showed me her engagement ring which was much better than what Brayden gave me. At least with this ring, it came from the heart. “He asked me last night.”

“Wow. Didn’t you move in recently?”

“I know you’re going to say we’re rushing things but we already decided we’re not getting married at least for another year and a half.” Mallory jumped for joy as she hugged me. “Plus, I want to make sure my Matron of Honor fits into her dress.”

“Really? You’ve already decided on me?”

“Well you and Skylar of course.”

“I was going to ask you if you want to be the Godmother.” We continued to laugh and cry when Jonathan and TJ walked in. “Oh Jonathan, you heard?”

“I guess Mallory told you.” TJ smiled as he gave me a hug. “Wow, Mally if you ever become pregnant, hopefully you’ll be as pretty as your sister here. Are you sure you’re over 4 months?”

“Yeah Teej. Dinner’s ready.” I lead everyone to the table, as I shot a wink at Jonathan. “So ready for the Temple of Doom tomorrow?”

“Your father doesn’t scare me.”

“Come on, he’s going to have a break down when he sees them.” TJ chuckled as he reached for the Light Italian dressing. “One daughter eloped and got a Tazer in the oven while the other got engaged without his proper blessing. Seriously, this is a break down waiting to happen.”

“You left out one thing?” Jonathan grabbed the vinegar as he raised his eyebrow. “We’re going to be related yet continue to play on rival teams. Come to the dark side, TJ.”

“Not if my 2 goals tonight can help it.”

Mallory and I waited at the airport for Daddy’s flight to arrive. Jonathan decided to wait at the car while TJ have to return to the hotel with his team for a meeting. We’re nervous as he hasn’t seen us in weeks.

When Daddy and Skylar came out of the gate, he kept a straight face at us. His eyes then focused on my growing stomach as he reached us. Skylar followed him with a smile on her face.

“So who’s going to tell me about Candace’s tummy?” Dad asked, looking at the both of us.

“Umm TJ and I are engaged.” Mallory quickly changed the subject as Daddy’s face was burning up. “I guess that was bad timing.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So daddy's in town and he's not happy. At least he didn't have a break down at the airport. All this encouragement is making me write more and more. Thank you everyone. Keep the comments going!

New Characters (even though he's returning)
TJ Oshie

Stuff
Mallory's engagement ring
Yoga and Dinner at the Condo
Baby Tazer at 16 weeks