‹ Prequel: Caught In The Middle
Sequel: Maternity Bedlam
Status: almost at the finish line

Captain Diapers

Baby? Maybe.

“Jonathan? Jonathan, wake up.” I straddled him as I was slapping his face to wake up. I knew he was going to be in shocked but not like this. His eyes began to flicker as he smiled at me. “Welcome back, Johnny.”

“I just had a dream that my ex-girlfriend’s sister drove all the way from Grand Forks to Chicago to tell me that she’s pregnant with my baby.” He started to laugh as he sat up. “That’s the funniest shit I ever heard besides Patrick deciding on growing a mullet.” His continued to laugh until he sees I was being serious. “You really are?”

“Yes, it is.”

“But you said you’re on birth control.”

“Yeah I am which is why I find it very odd.” I got up and started to pace around the room. “I’ve been taking them religiously. I’ve never skipped a pill in the 5 years I’ve been taking them. I’m just so flabbergasted that this could happen.”

“Candace,” Jonathan finally got off the floor and held me still. “We’ll go tomorrow to get it checked out. If you are or not, we’ll handle this together.”

“You might think I’m some slut who is pinning a baby on you after sowing my post-runaway bride oats but I’m telling you the truth.” I started to break down in front of him. “As a matter of fact, I didn’t sleep with anyone after I went to Paris. I haven’t been with anyone since you.”

“I believe you Candace, but calm down, okay?”

“I can’t. We can’t have this baby. We just can’t. I took a semester off from Law School to think, not to be pregnant. Daddy’s going to kill me. You have a reputation to protect here in Chicago. We’re too young to have a child.” I continued to ramble about why we shouldn’t have a child when Jonathan held me. “Sorry if I’m being a total drama queen.”

“I’m used to you being this way.” He kissed my forehead as I continued to cry about this. “We’ll just find out tomorrow if you really are. Plus, your father wouldn’t be happy about abortion. It’s against everything your family believes in. It’s against everything I believe in.”

“If I am, I’m going to. It’s my body.” I walked out of his bedroom and walked to the living room. I’ve made up my mind and not going to keep my baby.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We’ve waited in the room to see the results. We’ve made sure to drive outside of town to protect his identity. If anyone in town finds out Jonathan Toews was at some Planned Parenthood clinic with some girl the public doesn’t know, the Hawks will have a fit. He’s the team’s captain and face of the franchise and it would be bad press to know that their beloved captain knocked up some girl. He held my hand as we wait for the doctor to come in.

“Nervous?” He asked as I look blankly at the door. “Anyway you’re going to change your mind?”

“No. Once they confirm this, I’ll know what to do.” I squeezed his hand very tightly as the doctor finally came in.

“Hi, Ms. Krause.” The gynecologist smiled as she sat down on her stool. “Looking at your results and it is positive.” We looked at each other as she goes on about getting pre-natal care and what I should do to manage my morning sickness but I couldn’t think about anything. “I need to take an ultrasound, just to make sure everything’s okay.”

I prepared myself for the ultrasound as Jonathan accepted that I want to do once we leave this office. It wouldn’t be fair to him to have this baby at this time in his life as well as my own life.

The doctor was looking at the monitor to check if everything was okay. Once I saw a smile from her, she offered us to look at the monitor to see what she was seeing. We both looked and instantly, a sense of warmth filled my heart as I see this little guy or gal’s heart beating. It may be the size of a lentil but you can see that it’s there. She explained that I’m 6 weeks into the pregnancy, confirming that Jonathan is indeed the father and that my due date is around the beginning of April. I looked up at Jonathan and saw a cheesy smile as we both know our lives are going to change from here on out.

“So what you want to do now that we know?” Jonathan asked as we got inside the car.

“You want to tell your parents first or my father?”

“I take it as you don’t want to go through that.”

“How can I?” I rubbed my flat tummy, overwhelmed by everything. “This is us. I mean we’re bound together for the rest of our lives. It’s amazing when you see it, you can’t think of anything but that child inside of me.”

“You want to get married?” He asked as I put myself on. My mouth dropped that he even bothers to ask me that.

“You don’t have to. Don’t marry me because you’re obligated.”

“Maybe I want to.” He smiled as he took off my seat belt. He opened up the door and got out. When I looked over to my right, I see Jonathan opening up the door and got on one knee. “I mean this could be a sign that we should be together. You know I will take care of you and our child but… marry me, Candace?”

“But Jonathan--”

“We’ll keep it between the two of us and when we are ready, we’ll let them know.” He kissed my hand before rubbing my left ring finger. “Marry me?”
♠ ♠ ♠
My brain wanted me to take a break but my hands wanted me to write. Will she say yes or no? And start placing suggestions for the baby's name? This time I'm really taking a break for the day but glad everyone's catching on to this story! :)

Stuff
Baby Tazer at 6 weeks