Singing in the Shadows

Chapter 3

Image

The next morning, I woke up and Zacky wasn't next to me. I frowned, wrapping the sheet around me and starting to sit up, before the door opened. Zacky walked in with Aidan in his arms.

He smiled when he saw me awake. "Hey, you," he said, walking over and laying Aidan on my chest. "Say hi, Momma," he said, laying down next to me. "How are you this morning?" He asked gently.

I smiled at him softly. "I'm good."

"Are you sure?" He asked, running his fingers through my hair. Apparently what I had said in that song last night really had an impact. "There seems like there's a few things we need to talk about." I knew he was going to bring it up, but I didn't want it to be so soon.

"Shen?" There was a knock on the door that interrupted him. "Hey," Shawn smiled, poking her head in. "You're not ready yet?" She asked, her eyes going wide.

"Ready for what?" I asked, confused.

"Court! Did you forget it was today?"

Zacky groaned, burring his face into the pillow. "I can't believe I forgot about it," I said, starting to freak out.

"Hey, it's going to be okay," Zacky said, rubbing my arm in comfort.

"What time is it? What time do we have to be there?" I asked, sitting up and trying not to disturb Aidan. "I can't believe this."

"Shen." Zacky stopped my, taking Aidan from me and handing him to Shawn. Then, he walked back over to me and pulled me into his arms. "I don't want you to worry about this. You know he's going to be put away."

"I know, but it's the fact of being in the same room as him! I don't want to even take Aidan out of the house because of him! I just..." I shook my head, closing my eyes. "I know this is part of facing my fears, but call me chicken because I don't want to."

"Baby, look at me." Zacky cupped my face in his hands and made me look at him. "I'm going to be right next to you. The guys and girls, and even Papa are going to be there for you. You don't need to worry about that asshole."

"I just can't help but feel worried that something' goign to go wrong."

"I'm not going to let that happen, none of us will. All I want you to worry about is answering any questions they have, that's it." I nodded laying my head on his chest. "Is everything feeling okay?" He asked, letting his hand run over the scar on my lower stomach that would haunt me forever.

"It's pretty much all healed up," I mumbled.

"I love you." He turned me head so he could give me a kiss.

"I love you, too."

"Come on, let's go get ready." He took my hand and walked me to the shower.

By the time we were ready, Shawn had gotten Aidan ready. "Thank you," I told her, taking Aidan back into my arms. I felt like a bad mom for not doing it myself and letting my worries take over me. It's only been two months, and already I felt like I was failing as a mother to Aidan.

"Hey, Little Guy. Did you have fun with Auntie Shawn?" Zacky cooed, smiling down at Aidan.

"Of course he had fun with me," Shawn said, smirking.

"Uh oh, Auntie Shawn is getting a big head," I laughed as Shawn glared playfully at me.

"We should get going," Zacky said, looking at the time.

The whole way to the courthouse, I couldn't stop my stomach from doing flips. It felt like I would pass out from nerves. Zacky held my hand the whole way there. Shawn had taken a different car with Jimmy and the guys. They had decided to just meet us there.

"Everything's going to be okay," Brian said, hugging me after I got out of the car.

"Gee, thanks, because I wasn't already nervous," I said sarcastically.

He sighed, kissing my forehead. "We're right here for you."

When we got into the courtroom and sat down, Aidan started crying. No one could get him to calm down, so I had to take him. At that same moment, Seth was brought in.

I tensed, letting my eyes connect with him and not being able to look away. "Wow, Shae. I almost didn't recognize you. You've put a lot of weight on." Then he looked down at Aidan, glaring. "And I see the little bastard survived." I felt the need to protect Aidan and hide him from Seth's gaze.

I couldn't take it. Ignoring everyon's calls, I walked out of the courtroom with Aidan still in my arms. I didn't know where I was going, but I just needed to get out of that room and away from Seth.

"Shen!" Zacky called my name, catching up to me. "Baby, look at me, come on." He turned me to look at him.

"I just... I felt like I needed o get out of there. I needed to protect Aidan. It's all just so much."

He stopped my rambling by pressing a kiss to my lips. "Take a deep breath," he said softly. "I don't want you to feel like you half to run. Don't show him that fear. Show him that you're stronger than him, that he doesn't scare you."

"I can't, Zacky." I felt the tears starting as I buried my face into his chest.

"I don't want to hear you say that, Shenny. You can do anything. Half the time, I think you're unstoppable. If you put your mind to it, there isn't anything that you can't do." He lifted my chin to look at him. Now, I want you to go back in there and make sure that prick gets put away."

I sighed. "Okay."

Even though I didn't want to, I ended up going back in. It didn't take long for the judge to decide to put Seth away. It was only for twenty years , but I was going to take what I could get. The guys wanted him in for life and were about to speak their opinions, until I walked them out.

One thing behind us, a million more to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit