Sequel: The Aftermath
Status: Comepleted! Check out the sequel, The Aftermath.

No Time To Bleed

This Is Who We Are

“What are you doing here?” he grumbled. Alex sat the the floor, elbows laid against his knees.

I walked over a bit more til I was just about a foot away.

“Are you okay?”

His fingers seemed to tangle deeper and deeper into his dark locks of hair, something I'm guessing he did when he was stressed.

“What?”

I groaned. “I said 'Are you okay?'.”

“No! I'm not asking you what you asked. I wanna know why you actually care.”

My breath cut back in my throat. “Because you seem upset.”

“Why do you care?”

I sat down. “Just shut up and tell me what's wrong.”

“Well,” His ice green eyes stared to me. “where do you want me to start?”

I latched my hands around my knees and bit into my lip, brushing my hair out of my eyes. “The zombies attacking?”

He exhaled, the fabric of his shirt seeming to pull against the toned muscle there. The shirt was a deep cotton green.

“Well, we were in WalMart and I was just covering the aisles for some stuff Clarissa. My mom went to the bathroom and they came.”

“How'd Clarissa end up pulling you from the mob?”

He shrugged. “I tried to go after her, I tried fighting through the people running, but Clarissa dragged me back. All because my mother wasn't her family.”

My eyebrows rose. “Is she that intense when it comes to family?”

“Whose idea do you think it was to go hunting the streets in a van and giving me bullets?”

I laughed. “I'm gonna kill you for shooting me.”

“If someone gives me a gun and there's a girl stupid enough to run, I'll be the first to shoot.”

The room were in was small, one of gray bricks and matching colored dust along the floor. I pulled my legs in a bit closer and took in a curt breath.

“You really hate dirt that much?” he asked.

“OCD and a natural distrust of people doesn't help.”

“You really have OCD?”

I nodded. “Since I was 6, I've been scrubbing Barbie doll heads since.”

He nodded, seeming to caught up in his own thoughts to ask anymore questions. So instead, I asked.

“So, why are you with them then? William and Eli and Clarissa?”

He stared to me, longer this time as the slightest hint of a grin hit his face. “Because they're scared of her. She's crazy sometimes. I'm fucking glad I'm not gonna be dealing with her alone anymore.”

“Wow, you want me to take her down?”

He shook his head. “No! I want you to help me when the time comes!”

I rolled my eyes and tried not to giggle. I wasn't so sure if there was much room for laughter in this new world. “I guess. Wait, I have a question.”

He turned to me. “What?”

“Does this mean we're friends now?”

“Of course not.”

I smiled. “Just the way I like it.”

Alex and me, we made a weird pair.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hm, chemistry maybe?