Sequel: The Aftermath
Status: Comepleted! Check out the sequel, The Aftermath.

No Time To Bleed

Nothing Ever Changes

That night I went to sleep with no dreams to haunt me and even before my mind was able to wrestle itself to unconsciousness, I thought of the strangest things.

I thought of my old life. The one with my dad, Gladis, and Ricky. I thought of the Sunday brunches we’d enjoy on the front patio. Rick and I would turn on the sprinklers and just dive through the water. I’d hold him by his hands and swing him around, his young boy screams shrieking madly. Then, when it was all over, we’d crumble to the soaked grass in a heap with our parents laughing.

I’d always seen Gladis as someone I could respect, maybe even in one distant day look up to. Then, I’d discovered my dad was having an affair, a sleazy one with some coworker and my entire world cracked. The split intended to go down the middle went off into other seismic layers and caved in my whole world.

How do you recover when everything’s been shattered?

I’d held it inside for so long until it burned through my lips that day in her office.

“He’s cheating on you.”

Gladis’s eyes turned up, confusion in her eyes. “What?”

“He’s cheating on you. Dad is.”

And even more, that moment turned everything else into a lie. Gladis saw me as the enemy. The whole thing had completely ripped my heart out and for so long, I’d never been able to face the fact. I’d never been able to walk back to that grave called “My Old Life” and grieve. I’d never allowed myself to wallow in the pain.

So, I let the silent tears leave me that night, knowing they’d built me, knowing that releasing them would fix the pain. That it would fix the cracks in the brick that had become me. I cried and cried into the late night hours, mind replaying all my life’s moments.

Then, I heard Jessica crawl out of her bed and her face was just a foot or two away from mine in the darkness from where she kneeled on the floor.

She looked like the same girl I’d known just a few weeks ago, but inside her I sensed that innocence. Could she have been in there the entire time, just screaming for help?

“I’m sorry, Jessica. I’m sorry I did this to you.”

Then, her head shook as if to defy me, to tell me I’d be alright, to tell me that she’d be alright, and somehow it wasn’t a mistake things had come this way.

That was when I finally got to sleep.

* * * * *

The day of the dance was a bright one. The sun gleamed defiantly in the sky, holding true to rays of orange and hot red. Zombies cluttered the airport's outer fences, their moans becoming more and more pronounced once we’d finally reached outside.

“How’d you manage to let them have it out here near the landing strips? It’s insane.” Kyle asked in the sweltering heat. We all had to rinse our foreheads of the sweat every few seconds with a swipe from the back of our hand.

Ashley rested another plate down to a circular table. There had to be close to a hundred of them out here and they each sat 8 people.

“Don’t even ask. The guards seemed more than happy to let us be out here. It was actually sort of creepy how fast they agreed. No one’s been outside comfortably for a while. That’s why the committee helping was so big. Anyone who could get outside for more time wanted it.”

It was weird to be out on an airplane landing strip, long stretches of sun boiled cement. Carriages and other odd things around the place and to get here we had to go down some strange spiral of stairs.

It was around 1 pm.

“Where’s Alex?” Cece asked. She was drinking heavily from her canteen.

Ashton smoothed the fabric on another table. The colors for the dance seemed to be silver and black. I knew they’d go gloriously in the night air. “He’s inside leading the little kids in activities, getting them excited for the dance.”

People seemed to keep the Alex talk to a minimum around me today. I guess they thought the wounds were still fresh. But, they were just healing scabs, possible to be ripped open, but closing.

“What was the name of that girl you asked to the dance?” Ashley asked her brother.

Jesse handed me a chair and I started to place them at the tables.

“Here name’s Bailey I think. And she practically asked me after I got fitted for my tux. She’s nice though.”

Ashley snorted. “Yeah, we all know the things you love to do with nice girls!”

That got Cece to laugh a great amount and well joined in.

“Oh stop.” Kyle griped. “It’s too hot out here to be cracking jokes.”

My eye caught on something in the outer fences where the zombies were.

“Wow, what is that?” I gaped.

Everyone turned, even some of the people helping with the committee. A zombie was climbing the fences ungracefully, a few of its limbs even seemed to be missing and others were latching at its feet.

“They can climb now?” I was shocked.

Then, a cold shot went out form a gun and someone even screamed.

Ashley snickered. “Don’t worry. They shot the thing down.”

I gave a glance to Cece who suddenly seemed very occupied with the stereo system that would pound music later. Ashley had been given special permission to use the internet to download tons of songs for tonight’s festivities. Music was essential in making everyone happy. Cece had tried to convince her to do some code breaking, but Ashley had resisted, saying it was all being tracked most likely which was true.

“Uh, I can’t wait for all the little kids to come out in their little dresses and suits! It’ll be so cute!” A random girl exclaimed.

Cece rolled her eyes. “You know Kevin is getting paired up with a girl? I swear those two will be the worst couple in history other than Mr. and Mrs. Hitler.”

That got more laughter, mostly people who’d been victim to the terrible crimes and pranks of Kevin, the little boy we'd met and unintentionally saved from the highway family. There were stories swimming around that the little kid had evil microchips planted in his brain and he was the mastermind behind the Rogue virus.

“And who are you going with Ashley?” Cece asked.

Ashley snorted. “No one! I’m single for a reason! Normal boys gross me out!”

Kyle’s eyebrows rose. “And what would there be other than normal?”

“Nice, sensitive, kind, giving, loving, artistic, adoring, opinionated, and-“

“And not straight! Ashley come on! Guys like that don’t really exist!” Kyle argued back.

All of the girls within earshot rolled their eyes.

“Ashton, back me up on this.” Ashley pointed to her brother. Ashton was the one now who seemed totally invested in laying fabrics to the tables and chairs.

“Ashton! That is so close minded!” Ashley stormed off to a different area to help out.

Kyle now smiled. “Victory.”

“No victory. Now she thinks you’re a jerk and homophobic.” I said.

“I’m not against humans!”

Cece scoffed. “That’s homosapien. Homophobic is when you hate gays.”

“I don’t hate gays!”

“Neither do I!” Ashton called out.

“Well, then try not to make any potentially offensive comments! We’ve already got the undead trying to eat our brains, we don’t need ignorance to chew away at them too.”

Ashton did a low whistle that seemed impressed by Cece’s mouth and Kyle just stared at her.

“Well, I’m not ignorant. I happen to be very informed politically.”

“Really?” Cece challenged, stepping in closer to him. “What’s Confucianism? What date did the World War 2 end? What’s the Red Scare? Are you pro life or pro choice? Do you-“

“That’s history and a bunch of irrelevant bull!” Kyle chimed.

Ashton and I shared worried glances.

“It’s not bull! It’s part of the reason we live in the world that we’re in! You’re way too dense to even see that!”

Some people were staring now. Kyle just breathed and stood his ground.

“Well, maybe I’m not the smartest guy out there then, but at least I have control of my temper.”

Cece’s eyes squinted to slits.

Kyle just simply smiled back and Cece stalked away. Ashton and I both chuckled under our breath. Setting up the dance would certainly be interesting.

* * * * *

The time was 6pm, about two hours until the dance would start. Setting up outside had been hard labor. Directly after, I’d gone up to my room exhausted and scrubbed all of the harsh smelling sweat from my body. I felt clean and new once I stepped out the bathroom. I probably wouldn’t take yet another shower right before the dance since it now seemed useless.

I ended up walking around for a while, mind aimless of things to do. People were slaving away in the kitchen, preparing for the full course meals that would be served at the tables. Ashley was probably there now, when she wanted to organize something she could totally be a beast.

I made my way through the airport lobby, watching all the little kids doing their endless activities and screeching with the games they were playing.

Alex and some other girl were sitting idly, animatedly reading a story to the semicircles of kids who happened to be paying attention. I noticed the way the girl’s eyes snuck to Alex every few seconds and the well intended smile plastered on her face as her cheeks went red.

She obviously liked him and paid more attention to him when he read than some of the kids.

“Alexie, read Robin Hood! Robin Hood!” A cute little girl with lively green eyes screeched.

Alex gave her a melting smile and the girl smiled back. He turned to the girl next to him. “You wanna read Robin Hood?”

“Whatever you want. I’m only the innocent helper here before I’m your date!”

I couldn’t watch anymore, so I walked away.

Alex had asked her to the dance, he’d literally asked her to the dance and she’d said yes? How unbelievable was that?

Not even one day and he’d managed to move on. My heart felt like it was squeezing to microscopic proportions in my chest.

“Need something?”

My eyes went wide and I whirled around.

How’d I end up in the basement with Laia?

“Um, I’m sorry.” I felt my face go hot. “I guess I was just walking around and…”

“Needed time to think?” she said.

I shrugged, walking over to the table she sat at sewing away at a dress. “Yeah.” I sat down and watched her fingers work through the fabric.

“It must be nice to have a hobby. Something to keep you busy.”

“It’s not the best job.” She stated. “My hands get tired and if you haven’t noticed, it’s usually quiet down here. No one cares to talk to the seamstress.”

I looked to her, just wondering. “How’d you end up here anyway?”

“Those things came into my house, ripped everything apart and found me and my dad hiding in a closet. He shoved me out a window and got attacked by one of those things.” Laia’s story went on and on. Stretching through all the details she could ethically find in her mind. “It just sucks that everything’s over. I feel like we’ll be stuck in this airport forever.”

Laia seemed to be the first person here who talked completely uncensored.

“Why’s that?”

She sewed another long stroke of threat. “Just the way people are acting, like this is their home and the rest of the world doesn’t even exist.”

I thought of Alex while my fingers played at the fabric of the black dress. “I hate that too. He just lied to me, lied to all of us.”

So, then it was my turn, to explain everything, every single thing that had happened since the Rogue Virus had hit full force.

“Sounds like one hell of journey and you guys aren’t done yet, are you?”

My lips pinned shut.

“Sorry. I overheard you and your friend, the one that was sneaking around. I promise I didn’t tell anyone.”

And I believed her. Why wouldn’t I?

“Well, yeah. We plan to do more. Get the hell out of this place.”

“Well, when it goes down, I definitely won’t be scared to fight alongside you guys.”

I chuckled nervously.

“And you look tired.” She said. “You want me to give you your dress now?”

I nodded groggily. She handed me off my dress in a large white wrapper and I made my way up to my room.

Once my head hit the sheets, I couldn’t stop the sleep from dripping in once again.

* * * * *

Banging came at the door, fists pounding against wood.

“Open up! Jasmine, are you in there?”

“What?” My head rose up from the pillow.

“Jasmine, are you coming to the dance or not?”

My jaw dropped. I looked to my watch for the time. Was it seriously only 10 minutes until the dance was supposed to start.

“Oh shit!” My foot tripped over the covers and I went down hard against the floor. “I’m coming, Jesse! I’M COMING!”

I limped to the bathroom, scrubbing my face first, making sure my skin was soft and smooth to the touch, add eyeliner and a bit of mascara, my hair stayed the same, and I slipped into the heels after putting on the dress.

Once it was on, I looked in the mirror and spoke to myself, “You’re going to be okay tonight. Everything’ll be fine.”

My heels clicked on their way out the bathroom as I closed the room door behind me and stepped out into the hall.

There was Jesse in his slim fitting tuxedo and corsage to match my dress to perfection. His face seemed to glow for his hazel eyes and his hair was styled back neatly.

“Jesse, oh my God, you look so…”

“Handsome?” He blushed and I nodded.

“You look absolutely handsome.”

He nodded. “And I hope you don’t mind the wakeup call. I just got kind of worried since no one had seen you for a while.”

“Thanks. I sure needed it.”

“And you wouldn’t mind walking in with me?”

The hotel hallways were silent. No one was within reach at all.

I shrugged, hands playing at the slick fabric of my dress. “Sure. I wouldn’t mind that.”

We hooked arms and began our walk to the hotel elevator.

Time to have some fun.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I like this chapter. I wanted it to be longer and I wanted to go through the day of the dance to make things a bit more comfortable.
So, do you guys think Kyle is doing a good job of winning over Cece?
Is Alex more of a douche now?
And do you like Jesse?