Sequel: The Aftermath
Status: Comepleted! Check out the sequel, The Aftermath.

No Time To Bleed

You've Always Been This Miserable

The moon was a glittery ornament that hung in the sky. Round and full and silver, it’s holes sank into its face while the stars stayed around it. Tiny flashes of fireworks frozen in place as we walked out of the airport to the dance.

Tables of food had been set up, sending sweet smells of warm snacks into the air. Glasses clanked and kissed with sour punch in them. Kids shoveled crackers and cheese into their mouths as adults savored more elaborate treats.

The tables for sitting were round and fabricated fancily. Ashton had done a great job. The silverware and plates seemed capable to hold the meals ahead, but thing that took my breath was the main dance floor. A DJ turn table had been set up with massive stereos to all sides. Lyrics of softness hung in the air.

“This is beautiful.” I gaped. Tears came to my eyes to see everyone at peace.

Jesse just stared at me. “You’re beautiful. You always were.”

I couldn’t help, but grin as wide as possible in his direction.

“Thanks.” Our arms were still hooked faithfully.

“Oh my God! Do you guys see how amazing this dance?! Ashley is the shit!” Cece came bobbing over, hips swaying heavily to fast paced music yet to play.

Her dress was an intricate layering of gray and black lace. It was strapless and stopped just above her knees. It showed her forever lengthy legs and slim figure amazingly. A daring black rose was clipped to her hair as well.

She crushed me in a hug. “Oh my God! Jasmine, you look hot!”

I finally breathed once she let me go and the giggled took me. “You too! Bethany did awesome with your dress!”

Cece nodded proudly. “I know. I gave her a few pointers here and there.”

Jesse laughed then and Cece complimented him.

“Thanks. “ Jesse said at my side. “Where’s Ashley and Ashton?”

Cece shrugged. “They’re helping the DJ program the music for later and Kyle’s stalking them.”

My eyebrows rose. I wondered if that had anything to do with Kyle’s surprise.

Cece, Jesse, and I all walked over to a free table. Jesse pulled back my seat for me and offered to get Cece and I drinks. We said yes.

Cece waited til he walked away. “He is such a gentleman! You nabbed him quick!”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh please and he knows we’re here as friends even though I think he likes me more.”

“Likes you more? He’s stuck on you. I didn’t want to say anything before with the whole…” Her voice drifted off and we both knew the name she was going to say.

Alex.

“You know he’s here with someone else?” she asked.

I nodded. “I saw them reading to the little kids today. Turned my stomach inside out, but as long as he’s happy.”

She frowned now. “I can’t believe it’s come to this. When Clarissa gets out, she’ll be pissed at him for not helping us.”

I snorted. “I don’t even think he’ll care. He was always sort of weird with her.”

“How?”

A group of kids nearby were playing with a silver balloon, tossing it back and forth between themselves.

“He wasn’t fully close with her. After his dad died when the virus first broke out, he just didn’t seem to want to be around them. I’m thinking he sort of blamed Clarissa and William for his dad’s death.”

“That’s horrible.” Cece croaked.

Soon, Jesse came back with our drinks and we sipped away at them awkwardly. Ashton and Ashley came over as well, greeting us with the usual compliments.

“This punch is really good.” Cece stated while on her third glass already.

Ashton grinned. “Our mother’s personal recipe. It’s a miracle there was even the ingredients to make it. Um, where’s Alex?”

The question had seemed to completely slip out his lips at the end, momentarily freezing all of us.

“What?” Ashton asked. “No one knows where he is?”

No one spoke, except for Cece. “He’s not our friend anymore.”

“So, the dude makes one mistake and he’s cut off?” Ashton argued. “Sounds pretty lame.”

“Dude, he lied to all of us. That should count for something.”

Ashton looked at Jesse for the longest while, as if testing if his calm gaze could set flames. “And when did you suddenly have an opinion?”

“Ashton!” Ashley snapped.

Ashton went on. “Or did you just get into this whole thing to get closer to Jasmine cause that seems to be exactly what you’re doing?”

Jesse’s face stayed calm.

“You’re a rebound, Jesse, and all of you guys are being immature.” Ashton left from the table and probably went in search for Alex.

“How could he say that to us?” Cece seemed shocked. “Immature?”

Ashley shook her head. “Ashton’s just upset. Him and Alex are friends.”

“Well, I didn’t know we had sides on this war. If I would have known, I would have avoided your brother.”

Ashley flinched at that comment and just stayed silent.

“You okay?” I asked Jesse who was beside me.

“I’m fine. Doesn’t matter what he says.” Then he looked to me. “I know I’m not a rebound.”

I internally waged war. He could’ve either meant he knew we were just friend and nothing more. Or it could mean he thought we were together.

Either way, things seem to be utterly complicated.

Eventually at the music at the dance brought us to the dance floor, forcing our bodies for some slumber entertaining movement.

Whenever hip hop blasted, Cece went wild and became the center of attention with another boy who happened to have just as impressive moves.

I noticed Kyle a few times standing by and watching fearfully. Whenever he glanced in my direction I’d shoot him a reassuring smile.

When the heavy metal went off, the group of us would head bang with the kids jumping in wildly, thrashing their limbs all over. The sweat dripped down my forehead as the dances went on and on, song after song. Everything was turning out to be more fun than I ever imagined.

That was until Alex and his date walked onto the floor.

With his date stunning and laughing to the flocks of people that came to her, Alex seemed to stand alone amongst all the attention. His black hair was swept back, curling just behind his ears in the gleaming moonlight. His tuxedo was mostly black if not for the white shirt, but I swallowed as I took in the sight. His depth encroached blue eyes wavered across the room with a fake smile plastered over his lips.

That’s what that girl did to him. She made him fake.

Then, his eyes landed on me and my bodily movements on the dance floor ended, my breath stopped dead in my throat. We just stood there, staring at each other for a while. My fingers tingles, pulse throbbing through them with every twitch and budge I received from the moving bodies around me.

Then, his date took him by the arm and moved him away to her peers.

For the next few minutes, I tried to follow suit with my past energy, but something inside me had been shot down and was gone.

So, I hobbled off the dance floor and watched the joy overtake everyone.

With my heels in my hand and my aching feet on the ground, I watched.

My soul begged for something great to come of tonight.

* * * * *

The festivities went on and eventually I was dragged back in after sulking for a while. A line dance was calling over the speakers.

Cece grabbed my hands yanked me to the floor. “Come on! You’ve gotta dance with me up front!”

I laughed as she pulled me up there, both of our high heels left at the table.

“Now it’s time for the Electric Slide!”

The intoxicating beat and trumpets washed over every single person as they rushed to floor.

“It’s electric!” Kids shrieked at different points.

I tried to follow Cece’s lead, but laughing the entire way.

Jesse was at my side, dancing just as awkwardly.

Cece threw her own sauce on the moves while still following the beat.

“This dance is too hard!” Ashley whined, falling into Ashton.

“DJ! New line dance!” Cece shouted, jumping up and down.

The stereo went dead for a moment before clicking over to the Chicken Dance and more than half of the audience booed. The DJ snickered before changing the track to something else.

Another wild track started and the dancing mayhem went off again.

I did a twirl while clapping my hands. Sirens went off over the speakers as everyone went crazy. A sort of enjoyable mosh pit began and we all shoved each other around.

A heavy knee caved into my stomach and I went down hard.

“Ow!” A foot stomped onto my hand. “Somebody help me up!”

A solid hand came out and pulled me up. I smiled readily until I saw the person who’d helped.

Alex just looked at me emotionlessly. “You’re not going to say thank you?”

We were off to the dance floor's sides.

“Why would I say thank you when we’re not even friends?” I shoved past and walked my bare feet on the now cool cement. I made my way over to one of the tables and grabbed a bottle of water, unscrewing the cap.

“Not friends?”

“Yes!” I snapped. “We’re not friends! I have nothing to do with you! You have nothing to do with me! You made that pretty clear when you came to this dance with someone else!”

“Really?” Was he purposely trying to act this dumbfounded?

The speakers made another cold screech and people began to whine.

“Alright party goers, we have a special boy over here wanting to make an announcement!”

Alex stood closely behind me as I saw Kyle walk up to the DJ stand. The largest smile went to my mouth from ear to ear. I felt Alex’s eyes glare on me.

Kyle tapped into the microphone and moved his lips forward. “Um, my name is Kyle and I’m looking for Cece? Cece, are you out there?”

A few well-placed giggles went all around and Cece stepped forward, her bare feet against the cement and arms crossed. Her eyebrows furrowed in a stubborn line.

“I just wanted to tell you I’m sorry for being a coward.” Kyle’s audible swallow interrupted. “And I know I’m not the perfect guy. I know I can be dumb and rude and obnoxious and… uh, dumb sometimes, but I want a second chance.”

Kyle stepped away from the microphone and down to the main dance floor. He stood only a few inches from Cece.

“Will you give me a second chance?” he asked.

“You forgot to mention horrible brother, undeniable pushover, never-ending fountain of ignorance, and egotistical maniac. Do you agree?”

Kyle’s head fell for a bit and the frown was all too visible on his face. “I think so…”

Then, Cece’s hands fell to her sides and her lips pulled back to a blinding grin.

“That’s what I wanted to hear.”

Her hands snaked to his head, fingers looping to the underside of the back of his neck. The smile stayed to her lips just milliseconds before their lips touched. Everyone erupted into applause and my hands clapped together with giggles escaping me.

“Go Kyle and Cece!” Ashley shouted.

Then, a soft piano song began to play over the stereo and couples migrated to the floor with Cece and Kyle in the middle.

Jesse showed up at my side, completely ignoring Alex.

“Do you wanna dance?”

I nodded. “Sure.”

His soft hand held onto mines, leading me to the floor with Alex's eyes burning holes in my back. Once on the floor, his hands wrapped around my waist while mines went for his neck.

Being so close sent all sorts of alarms into me, but it was different. It was a nervous and tingling sensation, the kind you get when you’re sneaking something from a store and the item’s burning a hole wherever you’ve hidden it. That’s how it felt when Jesse touched me, foreign.

“I’m glad you decided to come with me tonight.” He murmured dreamily. “I thought you wouldn’t have given me the chance.”

A chance? I thought we’d just come as friends.

“I remembered when we went to school, you’d hardly talk to anyone and even with Jessica around all the time hating you, I still wanted to get to know you. It didn’t feel like you were normal.”

“Thanks.” I butted in sarcastically.

I saw Alex at his table, his date talking away animatedly in his ear, but he just glared to Jesse and I dancing.

Jesse’s words were now whispers in my ears. “I meant you were special. You weren’t like the other girls. You didn’t care what people thought of you.”

Something inside me warned that this could be a plan of seduction. Jesse’s heroic sweep tonight could be some form of movement in a direction I wasn’t sure of. Maybe Ashton had been right, maybe I was better off alone. Maybe this had all been a horrible idea. Maybe I was breaking my own heart.

“I always wanted to be the one you wanted to notice.” Jesse’s head lifted then his stare moved into mine. “I-“

“Jasmine, it’s time.”

Cece was standing right near us and I moved away from Jesse’s embrace. His eyes seemed frozen on my face, forever stuck in the moment that had just slipped away.

“I’ll see you later, Jesse.”

Cece and I walked off the dance floor and emotions tingling through all of us.And despite all the conflicting emotions tonight had brought upon us, we had a plan to execute and a score to settle.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, I like the ending to this chapter.
Things are tied up pretty nicely at this dance and Kyle got his girl.
What do you think about the whole Alex, Jasmine, and Jesse conundrum?
Also, a note, this is No Time To Bleed Finale Week Day #3!
Depending on how many chapters til the ending, I may amp up the number of chapters I upload a day for you guys.
And if your interested, check out another story I have on Mibba, Time Stands Still
It is my baby and I could always have more readers!
But, for you guys, I love you all. Keep reading :)