Status: Main; active.

No Way to Say Goodbye.

Just Friends.

Sam’s firm hand soothed Jacob’s anger. Bad things, that Hannah didn’t need to know about yet would have happened if he got angry. None of them wanted her to know yet, but none of them were clear if her grandparents had said anything. As if like clockwork, Hannah reappeared behind her grandmother’s tiny body.

After everyone ate, leaving little leftovers Hannah began to clean up. Everyone told her to just relax, but she was firm on this one. After she cleared the table, Maggie said she would be out in the garage with her husband. Which meant all the boys were able to talk in the dining room. Mostly about how Jacob needed to attempt at some kind of move, but it was clear that Hannah had given him subtle hints. Groaning Jacob took to his feet. He wasn’t very good at these things. Only when the moment allowed for him to be was he a real charmer. He smoothed the nap of his neck and gave the guys a look that read ‘really?’ Making shoo movements, they all motioned for him to hurry along.

“Hey,” he cleared his throat as he approached her. “Need any help?”

“Nah, I think I’ve got it,” She then looked up at him with a sweet smile. “Thanks though.”

Awkwardly advancing towards her he clarified, “you sure?”

“Hmm, actually, could you put that glass on top of the cabinet?” Her soapy finger pointed to a spot that she was obviously too short for.

Jacob got on his toes and easily put the glassware in place. After he’d finished her command, he lazily leaned his palms against the island in the middle of the kitchen, her full image all his for the taking. Her hair was beginning to curl at the ends. Her tank top has rising against her skin, revealing the small of her back but that was alright because Jacob found himself to like it. It also pleased him to see that Hannah would stand on her tip toes to get to the bottom of the sink. Maybe he hadn’t thought Hannah all the way out yet. No! He shook his head and looked at his own bare feet. He swore she would be the only one.

Without realizing Hannah had completed her task, Jacob felt a gentle touch on his warm arm. Snapping out of his trance, his eyes met those of his intruder. Her eyes were so free, and inviting. Jacob couldn’t help but fixate among them. “You alright Jacob?” Her toothy grin forming underneath her light pink lips.

Rushing a hand along his short black hair he lied, “Yeah, thanks.”

At that moment, Hannah so very badly wanted to just wrap his heated arms along her cold body. She could literally feel his warmth wave its way to her body even when they were standing a good five inches apart. She imagined how nice it would feel to have Jacob blanket over her, press her face against his chest and sleep knowing that she really would be safe. She even allocated herself to compare Jeremy to Jacob. Jeremy was a football jock, and that was the only reason she felt safe with him. He could take some beating from a guy. Jacob, conversely could probably take on multiple guys.

“What’re you thinking about?” Jacob’s voice was barely audible as his eyes went from Hannah to the floor, back to Hannah.

Shaking her of her mindset, Hannah said, “me?”

“Yes silly, who else is in here?”

She tapped a finger among her chin and gave a soft glare in her thinking process, “everything I guess.”

Gulping, Jacob asked, “everything?”

“Mostly about you and your friends,” Her smile appeared again.

“What about us?”

“How glad I am to call you guys my friends!” Hannah said blatantly.

Friends? So that was it, huh? Jacob thought before he gave her shoulder a light pat and exited the kitchen.

Bitterly, Jacob waved for his ‘friends’ to follow, “Let’s go friends.”

Once all of the wolves were unleashed into the forest, they all heard what Jacob had been so sour about; Hannah called them all friends. Meaning that she clearly had no interest in Jacob, or anyone of them for that matter. Maybe she did want to just be free for a while. No one blamed her for that, plus tomorrow would only be the third day they’d known one another and in three days you can’t just fall for someone with a snap of your fingers. Love, that took time. Adoration, that took some time. Lust, was probably what it was, that could take seconds.

Maybe she’s scared Jake, don’t take it to heart. Sam tried to give him some advice. But Jacob didn’t want any at this point. Ever since Hannah had shown up, the only person that resided in his brain was Beth. And as he sat watching the full moon above the earth shine, he swore that her face could be seen. Her deep hazel eyes, long brown hair that was either braided or in a bun, and her dimples. Jacob loved that even when she was mad that she would smile and her dimples would show.

Yuck! C’mon Jake, spare us please. Leah spat, her legs roaming across the leaves, running and weaving from within the trees.

Leah! Shut up! Paul interjected, very annoyed at her attempts to be so nonchalant.

Whatever Paul, and could you please stop thinking about Hannah. I’m getting tired of you thinking about her ‘nice, tight figure.’ Leah barked back, giving a low growl in defense.

Yeah, sure Leah. I’ll do that just as soon as we can all stop hearing one another. Bitch. Paul snarled back, baring all of his sharp teeth.

Paul, Leah. Enough! Sam interrupted, showing his authority. He had been listening to this long enough. He then told them that it was a night and to go home and get some rest. All agreed, except Leah of course, who hadn’t been home in a week.

The moment Jacob hit his head against his pillow, his eyes shut tight along his sockets. Surprisingly, Beth wasn’t the one he dreamt about, but Hannah. All he really remembered was her smile, and how it could calm him, even if he were in the midst of transforming to a wolf for the night.

School would be starting in a week, and all Hannah wanted to do was spend every waking second with Jacob. She did love the rest of the guys, but the day that Jacob had actually let her in was a day like no other. He didn’t tell her about Beth, because Hannah wasn’t meant to know that just yet, but Jacob answered any question Hannah had on her pretty little head, or so he liked to say. He even allowed her to call him Jake, which was a big step considering it took him months to let Beth call him that. You had to earn that right.

“So, why are you never home anymore?” She asked, placing her hands in the center of her hoodie.

Shaking his head thinking of the best answer he explained, “Because Sam likes us to be together at night. It’s sort of weird though.”

“Weird is my middle name,” Hannah teased brushing up against Jacob.

He gave a short laugh before lightly bumping into her too. That was another thing heloved liked about Hannah, she never pushed him for anything. She could always seem to tell when he wanted something to be left alone. Because let’s be honest, if he fully answered her questions she’d know about him instantly. Plus, it was killing him that from day one, while he was in his wolf form that he’d been captivated by her.

“Why does summer seem so short?” Jacob said, mostly to himself.

“Because it’s the teasing period of life,” Hannah’s fingers began to lace with his, causing his placid heart to jolt to maximum speed.

Looking down at her, and her hair gently blowing in the soft wind Jacob stopped them both against the soft sand. He had so many things plugging into his mind right now. This didn’t feel right, this should be Beth holding his hand. He was really starting to let himself fall hard for Hannah. Along with all that, that night him and her sat at his favorite spot and they both opened up to one another, Jacob couldn’t bear to lose her just yet. There were so many things he still had to figure out. Although Hannah had said her biggest pet peeve; Jacob wanted to see it. Even though Hannah loved the outdoors, Jacob yearned to show her more. And even though Hannah said she easily fell in love, Jacob came to the decision that he wanted to live with that.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)
Thoughts?