‹ Prequel: Take This To Heart
Status: Sequal. :)

Taion

"Credit Card Baby", Wham!

You know that feeling you get in your gut when you say hound going to do something dangerous or daring so you keep putting it off, saying you'll be ready in a few days, but as your waiting the anticipation keeps growing? That's how it's been for the past few days. Going on a week starting tomorrow. The thing about tour is you get so many chances to get away, yet they always have very little to offer; I was waiting on my best opportunity yet. 

That opportunity made itself quite clear on our way to Brunswick, Georgia for the next stop of the bands newest tour. I wanted a cold water, which we'd ran out of twenty miles from I-95, the main road that drives right by Brunswick. The bus pulled into a small grocery's parking lot. 

Opportunity number one: Alex gives me credit card. "Get a case of water, some Redbull, and two packs of Hershey's Kisses. Pin numbers 3241. Hurry up. We can't be late, bro." 

I nod. He's actually in a pleasant mood today and hasn't shown any signs of PMS like he has for the last month or so. Exiting the bus, I slide the card into my back pocket. Alex rarely ever carries actual money. Plastics better, he claims. And I guess it is. 

Opportunity number two is just the fact that I can remember the small string of numbers without mixing them all up. 

The grocery store was -as it's parking lot- quite small. I had no issue finding the candy or water, yet it took me an extra three minutes to find the Redbull Alex had requested (no doubt it was for Jack). I was stuck waiting behind an elderly couple who must have had a ton of pets. Bird feed. Cat food. Dog food. Fish food. Their house must be a food chain disaster waiting to happen. 

Two minutes later my phone rang. "Hello?"

"Where are you? What's taking so long?" Alex. Just great. His bratty moodswings are back. 

"I'm waiting in line. Chill." 

"Chill? Chill?! Phoenix, we have five hours to be there, set up, stage check, and preform! Before the crowd gets there! Move your ass!"

"I'm waiting in line, Alex! What do you want me to do?!" 

The line goes dead. That MFer hung up. 

Two seconds later my phone rings again. Alex had started going into the phase where he gets annoyed if I don't answer. Hoping not to add to his fire, I answer. "What?!" I can feel my nostrils flaring out as I wait for his voice, and in my periphrial vision I can see my tone turns a few heads.

But it's not his.

"Birdie?" the voice is small -quite- but it's hers. Emma. 

"Ems?" the confusion in my voice is evident. 

"Yep! I haven't told you I missed you in a while. I wanted to go look for you, but Mona says it's dangerous." Remembering the last time she tried to go look for me, I internally flinch. I didn't want anyone ending up in the hospital again. Not even Alex, despite his annoying temper thats been slowly developing. 

"Yeah, doll. Don't go look for me, okay? I promise I'll come back to you soon, alright? Just stay with the Barakats." I hold the phone to my ear using my shoulder as I start placing the items on the conveyer belt and then take the phone in my hand. 

"They're really nice." 

"Yeah, they are. And they care for you. Like Mona does." The couple finishes paying. Leaves. 

"They're nicer than Mona. Miss Joyce gave me a cookie before dinner and Mona won't let me have one when I ask her." She huffs. I know she's pouting, and I smile softly. 

"Just don't spoil your dinner, 'kay?" The cashier, a large man with a very prominent nose, smiles, and starts to scan the items. 

"I know." Pause. "That boy -the one with big eyes- he visits me a lot." 

I frown. "Avery?" I switch hands. "Why? What's he do?" The cashier is done scanning now and mouths eighteen-fifty seven. I swipe the card and punch in the pin, signing Alex's name as well.

"He just says 'hi!' and asks home how I'm doing. He never comes out of the car. Miss Joyce yelled at him last time. She cursed at him, so he never comes around while they're home. Just when they go to the store. Then he'll pull up and wait in the drive way until I come out. He told me about his sister once. He takes care of his family, too, Birdie! Just like you take care of me! His mommy's sick." I grab my receipt and the bags, walk out the automatic opening doors and towards the bus. My eyes narrow at the sight of it, but I march on anyways. 

"Don't bug him, alright? But I gotta go, Ems. I'll call you later. Bye. Love and miss you." I don't give her a chance to return the goodbye before I hang up. I slide the phone in my pocket and go inside. 

Alex is the first person I hear. "Took you long enough." 

I sigh. Now it's just us going head to head. For the past few days me and Alex have been having more and more brushes against each other that usually end up with us not talking to each other for a few hours. It may be childish, but it sure does make me feel better. "I told you I was in line. Why not try listening for once in your life." I throw his credit card back at him. He slips it back in his wallet with a scowl, ignoring me yet again, but it's ok. 

Overall, I won. 

I got his pin number. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the comments. Enjoy. :3