Status: Weekly updates, sometimes a bit quicker

The Road Trip

Chapter 17

Chapter 17
“I love you too, but that was pretty random.”

I turned around to see that Levi and Corbin had snuck up on me. Both were smiling, though Levi’s was a little wider. I turned my nose up to them, pretending to act snobbish.

“I wasn’t speaking to the likes of you.” I told them, adding a little sniffle at the end in order to enhance the pompous effect. Levi raised an eyebrow.

“Well, if you weren’t talking to me, and definitely not Corbin since you just met him, who were you talking to? Are those voices in your head sweet-talkin’ you again?” Levi asked, putting her hands on her hips and cocking her head to the side during her last statement. I rolled my eyes at her and gave up the snob act.

“I was talking to Leo, duh.” I said in an ‘it’s so obvious’ tone. Up went both of Levi’s eyebrows with that one.

“A boy? You were talking to a boy? I would’ve thought the only boy you’d say that to was… Never mind, anyways where is said boy who has stolen your heart? I don’t want to have to share it.” She wondered curiously, looking around for what I guess was an attractive boy.

“Noooo, a girl!” Levi’s eyebrows nearly popped off her face from the stress she was putting on them in attempt to raise them ever higher, I rolled my eyes and exclaimed, “Of course a boy! My goodness gravy. Who do you think I am?” Levi shrugged. “Wow, well it’s a boy and he may be the love of my life.” I said teasing her. Now her eyebrows AND her eyeballs were nearly pooping off and out.

“WHERE IS HE!?!?!” Levi yelled at me, after she had stepped forward and began shaking me. As if that’s the proper way to get information from someone. By smashing their brain against their skull. Wonderful what it takes to keep communication flowing.

“I’ll tell you as long as you quit attempting to use TORTURE METHODS TO GET MY INFORMATION!” I yelled the last part back at her, not too loud, but it seemed to get through her determined mind. Slowly, the shaking came to a stop, but Levi’s hands did not relinquish my shoulders. Well this is probably the best that I’m going to get. I sighed mentally and outwardly. Leo was hiding behind me, still out of sight.

“Drum roll please.” I ordered Corbin, who was smirking while watching Levi’s maniacal actions without stepping in to help me at all. At least he understood this and decided to follow my command. He stomped his feet multiple times then pointed back to me. I took a deep breath for suspense.

“Leo is…” I said then motioned to Leo to come out from behind me. Leo did so timidly and finally made it all the way out. Levi STILL didn’t notice him though because she was staring at me so intently.

“Is… ? TELL ME!!!” Levi screamed, nearly shaking me again. I could feel her trembling with anticipation.

“This is Leo.” I responded calmly. And picked up my new buddy as well as I could with her hands remaining on my shoulders. I gave Levi a pointed look which darted from her to her hands and back. Levi slowly removed them, ready to return them at a moment’s notice. I picked up Leo gently; he licked my fingers a little with his warm, small tongue. I petted him as Levi processed my trickery. Her eyes looked a little disappointed, but then Levi looked at the little puppy again and smiled wide with an excited twinkle in her eyes.

“Well I’ve always wanted a puppy.” Levi replied, her smile still on her face.

“That’s good because we are keeping him! He will be our new best friend, so we shall have a best friend triangle.” I spoke happily. “No offense C.J. but you aren’t a best friend yet sooo… yup.” I added for Corbin, calling him C.J. because I’ve decided that that shall be his new nickname.

“None taken.” Corbin said good-naturedly.

“I’m glad.”

“Can I hold the puppy?” Levi asked nicely, still smiling. Hmm… to give the puppy or not to give… That is the question.

“Only if you call him by his actual name, not puppy.” I told her. She nodded.

“Fine.”

“Okay then. His name is Leonardo Allen, Leo for short.”

“Very well. So can I hold Leo? Pweaaaase?” Levi asked while using her penguin eyes and puppy pout. DARN HER AND HER MANIPULATIVE ABILITIES!

“Fiiiiine…” I reluctantly allowed. Handing her over Leo was extremely hard, but I was able to fight through it and relinquish him. I watched as Lev cradled Leo ever-so-gently and treated him as a fragile object. Leo was looking at me with his big brown eyes first, but turned to look at what probably seemed to him as the new friendly person who’s rocking him.

“Leonardo, meet your Aunt Levi.” I wiggled his little paw for him to express a wave to Levi.

“Too cute and adorable.” Levi cooed. And we stood like this, eventually sitting down, to play and adore Leo. We even allowed Corbin to hold, pet, and play with Leo. Eventually.
}..{

“So Den, guess it’s time to hit the road again.” Levi told me, using her brisk tone that is reserved for getting away from mean, annoying people—versus the sweet get away tone she uses on well-meaning, annoying people—and getting back on schedule. Corbin was carrying Leo as we walked along the rest stop sidewalk.

“Guess it is.” I replied, ignoring her tone. I knew Levi would miss Corbin once we left. I could see something… ‘spark’—I guess that that’s the word—between them while we’ve been here. Then a brilliant idea popped into my head.

“Why don’t we walk Corbin to his car?” I asked slyly. Maybe it was a bit… untraditional, but when have I ever been traditional? Or even normal? I saw Levi’s eyes widen and surprise and happiness, then return to normal.

“I guess we have time for that.” She answered nonchalantly. Woo hoo! Score one for Twix! I cheered for myself.

“You fine with it Corbin?” I questioned, already knowing the answer.

“It’s cool, very untraditional though.” I just gave him a blank look to say ‘And your point is…?’ and kept walking. Just then I felt something zoom past me. Just a blur. I yelped and jumped back. Dang it! What is it with me and getting hit by cars lately? At least this time it was an ‘almost’.

“You okay, D?” Corbin asked, concerned. Since I called him C.J., he decided to call me D, that way we can both be known as letters. Go the Alphabet! Levi and come over and began to cling to me muttering ‘I can’t lose you’ over and over again.

“I’m a bit rattled but fine.” I spoke, with a little trembling. He patted me on the back, and looked off in the direction that the vehicle was headed. His eyes widened!

“HEY THAT’S MY CAR! THAT GUY STOLE MY CAR!” He yelled at the top of his lungs shaking his fists, now fuming. Oooo… that sucks. As soon as I heard the anger and nearly hidden despair in Corbin’s voice, I ignored my trembling to go to him and attempt to make him feel better. What to do.. what to do… what to—

“Why don’t you ride with us?” Levi asked Corbin; somehow she had reached him before me and was hugging him.

Well that certainly is something to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I have 35 readers, or people have looked at the story once, and only 3 comments? Come on... Maybe one more comment? That would be the greatest!