Status: Weekly updates, sometimes a bit quicker

The Road Trip

Epilogue

Epilogue

“Do you like waffles? Yes, I like waffles! Do you like pancakes? Yes, I like pancakes! Do you like French toast? Yes, I like French toast! Doo, doo, duh-doo, can’t wait to get a mouthful!”

My phone was ringing loudly, so I reached for it on my bed side table with one hand while my other was still pulling up my jeans. I clicked the green button and balanced my phone between my ear and my shoulder so I could continue shimmying my pants up my legs, a feat near impossible with only one hand.

“Hello?” I spoke into the phone. I listened to the sound of cars in the background while still struggling with my jeans.

“Hey, Den.” I stopped the struggle as I heard the voice.

“Hey, love,” I replied easily despite the fact that my heart was pumping furiously as it always did when I heard Eric’s voice. “What’s up?”

“I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be at your dorm in around 15 minutes, is that okay?”

“Yeah sounds great! I’ll be ready!”

“Okay, see you then, I love you,” he told me. I smiled.

“I love you too.” We both hung up and I tossed my phone onto my bed and looked around frantically. Jeez how am I supposed to be ready in 15 minutes, he said our date was at 7 not 6:45, I thought I had more time!

I hurriedly pulled my jeans up the rest of the way and found a nice, flowing green top that matched my eyes and went to fix my hair in the bathroom. After 5 minutes had passed, I decided I looked reasonable enough with my hair swept in a side bun. I brushed my teeth for the third time and then sat down on my bed.

I turned my head to look at the clock. 6:43. I mentally sighed. Phewf, just in time.

I just laid back and looked around my room filled with my Yale memorabilia, soccer awards, and goofy pictures of Corbin, Levi, Eric, and I that’s been collected over the past 3 and a half years. I’d just like to say that my side of the room is much neater than Levi’s side, probably why Leo prefers to sleep on my side more, but despite her mess I’m grateful to have had her as a roommate.

I wonder where she is right now… She and Corbin are probably out somewhere eating dinner or something. Or maybe she’s helping him study for our midterms coming up, who knows? With those two, anything counts as a date.

Not that that’s a bad thing, that’s probably one of the reasons they’ve been together for so long. That or because they’re head over heels in love with each other. Either way, I don’t think they’re separating for a long time now.

Knocking on my door interrupted my thoughts. I looked at the clock and noticed it read 6:46. I tsk-ed and put a fake disapproving look on my face before answering the door.

As I pulled it open and prepared to give a teasing lecture on keeping a lady waiting, I stopped and took in the young man holding a red rose and blue chrysanthemum bouquet in his hands. My eyes were wide with surprise.

“W-what’s this?” I stuttered. His aquamarine eyes shined with excitement.

“Just a little something to start the night off.” I stared at the flowers and then smiled broadly at him.

“Thanks, love,” I told him, taking the flowers. “I’ll go put these in some water, then we can go, okay?” He smiled knowingly at something and nodded. I gave him an odd look ad walked away towards the kitchen part of our dorm suite that Levi and I had created. I grabbed a vase-like looking glass and put water in it.

As I began to place the flowers in something fell out. A little card.

I looked at it with a puzzled expression and picked it up.

Denelle Allen, it read on the front. I felt something inside the card so I opened it.

Inside there was a ring taped to the card and below it read:

Will you marry me?

I gasped then went silent. I was shocked.

I numbly walked out to the area where Eric was still waiting at the door with a knowing smile.

My mind was empty until I saw him.

Eric, who first caught my attention at rest stop.

Eric who saved me from being run over by a car.

Eric who I couldn’t stand having mad at me.

Eric who it took me forever to admit to myself I liked him.

Eric who sat around for even longer waiting for me to realize I loved him.

Eric who has been mine for four perfect years, since the summer before we all started at Yale.

One thing came to mind as soon as I saw my Eric standing in the doorway. One word.

Yes.

I ran to him and jumped on him. Tears of elation were running down my face. He laughed and caught me. I was wrapped around him and kissed him as he spun us around in the dorm hallway.

“Yes,” I whispered in his ear. “Yes, yes, yes, of course yes!” I exclaimed happily kissing his cheek. I pulled back with a beaming smile on my face.

“I love you so much, Denny,” Eric said gently, kissing my nose making me giggle.

“I love you too, Eric,” I replied softly. “Hm... Denelle Colton…” I rolled the name over my tongue. “It’ll take some getting used to, but I guess it could work.” I shrugged nonchalantly and winked at him.

“I certainly hope it could work, Mrs. Colton, because you’re going to be called that for a long time.” He gazed at me, his eyes sparkling.

“Can’t wait,” I said. Then I put on a serious face. “But I hope you know that we will not be getting married until we graduate, capiche?” He laughed.

“I figured as much and it’s not a problem in the least, I mean that is the rule, right?” He said teasingly.

“No boys until after college,” we said together, our foreheads touching. We kissed softly then drew back. My eyes were still closed when he spoke again.

“But you know what comes after college?”

“No, what?” I asked, my curiosity peaked.

“Forever.”

I smiled softly at that. We stayed like that for a few more seconds and finally I dropped back down off of Eric to stand on my own two feet.

I walked into my dorm, gave Leo’s sleeping head a little rub, grabbed my keys, and on my way out closed the door behind me. I took Eric’s hand in mine and we walked to his car.

“So, where are we heading to celebrate?” I asked with my eyebrows raised.

“Where do you want to go?” Eric asked. “Your choice.” I thought about it. We could always go to some fancy restaurant, but those aren’t my favorite… A fast-food place like McDonald’s? Maybe, but I don’t think so… A light bulb went off in my head.

“You know, I never did get to go to Chili’s that one time…” I said while biting my lip.

“Off to Chili’s we go then,” he replied smiling.

So we got into his car and drove off to celebrate our new life.

A life that began with a scheme, a summer, and a road trip.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's the end! :) I hope everyone enjoyed it, told you guys I finished it :) It is now all uploaded! I'm still editing it and everything but there it is, 'The Road Trip'! Let me know what you guys liked and what you think needs to be fixed, all feedback is good feedback :)