Status: Weekly updates, sometimes a bit quicker

The Road Trip

Chapter 5

BAM!

My head hit the concrete hard with a thwap. Waaaiit a second…Concrete? I thought blurrily. Roads aren’t made of pavements…sidewalks are… I looked around to see my surroundings, and tried to recall what just happened and why I wasn’t smooshed.

“OH MY GOD!!!!! DENELLE ALLEN LOOK OUT!!!!!” Levi screamed, terrified from still inside the car. I turned and saw a huge hummer truck coming through the parking lot, the driver texting on his cell phone. I couldn’t make it to the other side of the road so I just braced myself for impact when a large figure came out of nowhere and with great speed and strength, picked me up and leaped to the other side of the road. The figure rolled when it hit the ground with me in its arms, causing my head to hit the ground.I recalled all of this hazily, because my head felt as though it was splitting in half. I wanted to succumb to the numbness of the darkness even though I faintly heard Levi’s voice yelling in worry. I had to see the mysterious figure’s face though before I gave in. So I turned to my right to where the figure had fallen and saw him kneeling over me, his bright, turquoise eyes creased with worry looking at me. He said something, but I couldn’t hear it as the darkness took me over.

}..{

I woke up in a sterile white room. In smelled like chrysanthemums and antiseptic. I shifted in the crisp, white bed sheets, but as soon as I moved I got a sharp pain then a dull ache in my head. I felt that area and find a bandage wrapped around my head. I saw that there was a call button on the side of my bed and decided to push it, thinking they might be able to get rid of my head ache…plus it was red and shiny!!! Ooooo pretty button! They really go all out at this fancy Georgia hospital! WAIT!!! Hospital!!! What happened again?? My memories of the accident near Chili’s trickled back. Ugh! How could I be so stupid? Thank god, that guy with the beautiful, blue-green eyes saved me…He seemed…familiar.I dwelled on this thought until the nurse came in.

“Hiya! How are you feeling?” the nurse asked all perky-like. I think I like her! She seems nice!I thought about the red-haired, gray-eyed nurse.

“Just peachy thanks! Although, I do have a pretty bad headache.” I replied.

“Oh, well would you like something to make you go to sleep and get rid of the pain or see your visitors?” She questioned. I weighed the options in my head and decided that seeing other people is what I want more right now. I told the nurse visitors, and she nodded and left the room. I twiddled my thumbs and wondered who was here. When…

“DENNY!!! YOU’RE OKAY!!! OMG YOU ARE OKAY RIGHT?? HOW DOES IT FEEL TO HAVE ALMOST BEEN RAN OVER BY A TRUCK? AND TO HAVE BEEN RESCUED BY----“ she started yelling and attacking me with hugs.

“Calm down, calm down, Lev! I’m fine, stop worrying. And it feels very exciting, also you didn’t finish your sentence.” I told her coaxingly, chuckling slightly at her reaction.

“And thank goodness I didn’t it’s going to be a surprise… Ahem… Introducing your savior… doo doo doo dooooo--- psst that was supposed to be trumpets--- ERIC COLTON!!!” She belted out. Eric? Really? He did seem familiar.My heart beat quickened as he walked into the room looking concerned. It was Eric… I mentally sighed.

“What was the sigh for?” Eric asked, quirking his eyebrow. Whoops! Maybe not so mentally…

“Uuuhh…did I sigh? I don’t recall sighing…. Maybe it’s an effect of the head trauma… Have you guys noticed the extreme whiteness of the walls?” I asked, trying to change the subject, especially since I don’t even know the answer to that question.

“Yeah! I know right! I’ve been observing that since I’ve been here for 2 days.” Levi said.

“TWO DAYS!!! I’VE BEEN OUT FOR TWO DAYS!!???!!!” I said incredulously. How is that even possible? Oh well I guess short comas come with head trauma.

“Yeah, it’s true, we were getting worried, even though the doctors were positive you would wake up soon. How do you feel? Are you okay? Need any ice for your head? A juice box or a sandwich? Maybe a trip to the moon?” He said the first few with genuine concern and sincerity, but the last one with a wink.

“Eh the first ones were a little cliché, but that last one was very…original (said with a British accent, like that Sonny with a Chance guest star who was a fake, I love that show!), so I’ll take that one.” I said with fake-deliberation. Two can play at that game.

“Sure, of course you pick the most expensive and extravagant one, you’re sooo needy!” Eric said back, in a whiny voice.

“Oh sure, you make an offer, get a person’s hopes up, and then snatch it right back and watch them crumble… so cruel. But tis the human’s way of life…” I said meaningfully.

“What are you babbling on about now? Goodness gracious, Denny, obviously that bump on your head did more than just knock unconscious.” He said indifferently, although I didn’t notice his jibe because I realized that was the first time I’d ever heard him say my name. I like the way he says it… It’s even better than when my mom does and she’s the one who named me it! I thought dreamily, but quickly snapped out of it with my mantra and realized that I hadn’t thanked him for saving my life, yet.

“Sooo, Eric, thanks for…well…you know… saving my life… It was pretty awesome of you to keep me from being smooshed all over the road.” I told him stumbling a few times and blushing a little.

“It was no big deal, I’m hoping next time you remember to look before you cross the street. “He replied back, voice steady, but blushing a little himself.

“Well I was overwhelmed with the sight of Chili’s and the idea that I would finally have my poor tummy refilled and happy!” I said with a smile.

“OMG you should have seen her in the car, Eric. I mean seriously she was all like….” Levi went on to tell the tale of my tummy rubbing, while I zoned out thinking about a bunch of other things. One, whether there was any food in this joint, two, dwelling on the tone he used to say my name and what made it special, and three, why Eric was around here anyway? I mean, what was he doing at the exact same Chili’s, in Georgia, of all places, where I almost got ran over?