Under the Skin

Prologue

Her nails dug deep into the palm of her hand, drawing little trinkets of blood. She was trying to keep her composure as each lashing hit upon the skin of her back. She didn't deserve the beating she was receiving nor did she want it to stop. She was willing to take this on for her lover, her best friend, her King. With each lash, she squeezed her eyes tighter and tighter, refusing to let out a cry of pain. But she couldn't control the one thing that made the beating worse; her tears.

"You know what you must do, warrior?" A stern male voice broke through the nightmare that had held her attention for a few seconds. Her eyes meeting the man in front of her. He was more than a man, a God. His name was Andros and he was the keeper of justice in this world and the others. Today, Alnia was on trial and they didn't even know it. Alnia was the land that banished her centuries ago for her treason to the King. But her act was far from treason to the King. It was an act of love, something that went against Alnia's laws.

"Yes, my lord," she answered, bowing her head slightly to him. It was a gesture of respect to the Gods and Goddesses when spoken to.Nikia honored and respect their every decision. They had spared her life many centuries ago and now was in debt to them. Nikia was their warrior, bidding all of their requests. Mostly, it was punishments to kingdoms and other land-rulers who had crossed the rules and overstepped the morals of the worlds.

"Then it's decided. You shall leave immediately. Bianca is waiting for you in the commons room," Andros instructed not leaving any room for objections. Nikia nodded, bowing to the others then made her exit.

The walk to the common was short but the demons that plagued her mind made it long. With each blink of her eyes, a piece of the nightmare played. She often spent her nights awake in fear that the nightmare would take over again. Her eyes showed the signs of sleep deprivation, the dark circles forming under her eyes. Nikia was an immortal warrior forever in debt to the Gods. Her deprivation didn't alter her work or performance but it didn't help her appearance any.

Nikia ran her finger across the texture of the wall as she made the routine walk to the common room. Her eyes forced straight open, trying not to blink. It was becoming harder and harder to erase the memories from her mind. Many nights she had ran to Bianca, begging for relieve but she couldn't find any. It was like she was cursed and the one who placed the curse upon her was the only one who could lift it.

"They still plague I see," Bianca's soft and inviting voice fell like velvet for the skin as she spoke. A simple nod was all Nikia had to give 'for Bianca knew and understood. "Then let's be on with this," she said, offering a smile to her. "Justice must be served."