Down the Rabbit Hole

Sheep

Something just simply felt wrong today. Hasn't that ever happened to you? When you know you’ve forgotten something, but can’t think of what. Or had this song stuck in your head but couldn’t remember what it sounded like. It happens to me all the time, and it never leaves me. I always think about it, and usually I remember. What else is there to think about?

Usually, anyway.

The clock was reaching for 5, and everyone began packing up their laptops and paperwork. I grabbed a handful of pencils and peppermints, and locked my laptop in my desk. I put on my petticoat and headed out to the hallway where everyone was talking, or mumbling on their cell phones to their wives and husbands. They were waiting for the elevator, or something.

I was starving, but I didn’t have enough money in my pocket to eat. My backpack held barely enough money for cat food – speaking of which, I have to buy some.
It kind of annoys me that my overweight cat is being fed while I stay hungry. And I know that if I die, this cat will eat me. I should have gotten a dog.

I stood in the elevator jam packed with people, all blabbering on their phones. “I’ll see you soon,” “tell the kids I love them,” “what’s for dinner?” They wish they had time for themselves.

Imagine a crowded elevator with everyone so dead silent, all wanting to say something, all thinking to say something, but no one does. That’s what this is like on the way to work, and about five seconds after they all press their button to whatever floor they get off. I don’t have anything to say, other than that I know the guy two cubicles down from me is probably going to kill himself soon. That’s a topic for elsewhere, since the doors just opened.

Death is common and suicide is even more common. I live in an apartment with one bedroom and a cat that will eat me. I work in a cubicle. There are not many goals to shoot for.

“Excuse me?”

I heard someone say that, but I’ll assume it wasn’t towards me. It probably wasn’t.

“Hey, uh, Alex?”

Alex isn’t my name, so it wasn’t towards me. Alex is the older man across the hall. I certainly don’t appear like an older man.

“Ah… Adrienne?”

I turned around at the call of my name. Whoops, I guess it was for me. I looked around for the source of the voice, but no one seemed to be around. Peering to the left and right, I found the voice talking to another woman who had the same name as me. It was the guy a few cubicles down from me. I stuck around for a bit and looked semi-busy on my cell phone.

The guy was asking something to this secretary-dressed woman with a face you could gaze at for hours. Her face wasn’t mature, but rather young with large eyes and a small nose and chin. She looked like a model with her slim body and legs that looked tone from wearing heels all day.

The soon-to-be-dead guy asked is she would like to go out for a drink, and she declined. The bell for the elevator went off as Adrienne’s heels clicked against the stone floor. We exited for a bus, car, or taxi like sheep.