My Beloved Monster

030

Image

Thankfully, my fluke ended. Ever since the other day I landed every axel, arched my back and legs perfectly, and my height could not have been any better.

I guess it could have been a combination of all the suggestions advised by the doctor. I took a multi-vitamin before practice, yoga for my stress, suggested by one of Chaz's dates, and made sure I had a good night's rest.

And now, at the moment, I was getting ready for my big night: the Russian ballet opening night.

It is one of the most beautiful and graceful events to attend. Their performance was never a disappointment.

It was like a red carpet event. People would come around from Bavaria to the Bayreuth Festspielhaus (opera house). There would be a valet, people would wear elegant gowns and tuxedos, and the waiters dressed just as formal serving drinks before the show.

I sat down carefully at my vanity and finished my hair. It tied back into a loose fishtail braids connecting into one in the back and tucked in. I finished putting on my rings, briefly looking at the bracelet that rested there. I shook my head trying to rid it of any thoughts before they formed.

Chaz knocked on my door before coming in, "You look amazing."

I smiled all giddy with butterflies in my stomach. "I feel amazing. It's not everyday one gets to dress as a princess." I reddened my lips and pursed them together.

"More like a goddess." Chaz took my hand and helped me stand up. "But then again you are always a goddess huh?"

"You are such a sweet talker." I laughed and twirled around to show off my elegant black dress

"Yeah, but I don't lie." He grinned. He led me over to the bed and motioned for me to sit down. "Cinderella can't go to the ball without her slippers."

"No she cannot." I smiled and played with his hair while he slipped on my shoes under the dress. He fixed my dress and spun me around. "Any man in his right mind would be crazy not to sweep you away to his kingdom."

"I can think of one." Is what I almost blurted out, but I'm over it. I'm over it. Instead, I twirled around and smiled. "I'm just that sexy."

"Doll, Aphrodite has nothing on you." He chuckled. He bowed and offered his arm. "My lady, your escort awaits."

I laughed. "So Wolf has been reduced to that huh?" I smirked. "What did he do to deserve this honorable title?"

Chaz's grin faltered for a second, but he rolled his eyes and played it off. "Plenty of things. What hasn't he done wrong?"

"Too true." I took his arm in mine as he lead me down the stairs.

He made a trumpeting sound as we reached the bottom, like a royal announcement. "Lowly escort, your goddess has arrived. Bow down you unlawful creature and give your offerings at her feet."

Wolf cleared his throat and spoke through gritted teeth. "I get it Chaz."

"How dare thou speak so foul in front of thy Adelina. You insult me before you compliment your date?" He raised an eyebrow.

Wolf finally took a good look at me as I stepped from out behind Chaz. I smiled and softly spoke, "So how do I look?"

"Breathtaking." Wolf stared completely in awe.

"So Marie doesn't mind me stealing you for tonight?" I smiled and closed his mouth walking past him to get purse.

Wolf laughed. "Of course not. She gets me this weekend before I leave."

I smiled as he opened the door for me. "Ready?"

I nodded my head. "Gute Nicht Chaz."

"See you in the Morgan doll." He smiled leaning on the doorframe.

Bam laughed as Missy stuffed another fruit into his mouth. Dico laughed when she smudged it over his face. "Hey Bam?"

"What?" He asked with his mouth full and the juices dripping out of the corners.

Despite the old womb he was about to open, Dico asked anyway. "Where is that album Novak told me about?"

Bam's smile disappeared and he swallowed the fruit in his mouth. "Fuck if I know. Look in the room."

Missy noticed the change in him. "What's wrong?"

Bam shook his head. "Nothing, Dico's just bringing up old shit I tried to forget about." He put another smile on his face and shoved some fried in her mouth. She laughed and kissed him.

Dico went into Adel's old room. Well, it wasn't ever really meant for her. But, it was unofficially officially made her room when she was here.

He had heard what had happened, but never understood any of it. From his perspective something was fishy. Because how could to people be so much in undeclared love, end so badly? Maybe it was the undeclared part that was their Achilles' heal?

Yet, Bam would never let anyone touch anything in here. Some of Adel's shoes were in the closet missing their pairs. Some clothes were in the drawer and perfume on the dresser. It still smelt and felt like Adel in here. And on the made bed was Gus, the stuffed animal polar bear Bam bought her on their first date.

Dico looked around making sure he didn't disturb anything. Bam let him in here only because Missy was with him. Dico didn't think he'd be getting away with this if she weren't. Although, Bam claims he's far over Adel. Only, Novak and Bam seem to believe this. But no one dared to interrogate further; things were just left as is.

Dico finally found the album on the other side of the room on the floor. He supposed Bam had thrown it during one of his fits before he started going out with Missy. That was one good thing, his temperament calmed down a lot. Maybe he really was over Adel.

Dico kneeled down and smiled at the picture on the cover. He remembered how she forced everyone for 'one good group photograph.' Adel was crazy with the camera; she always had it in your face.

He looked at the first few pages. She was always able to capture our random moments and the best angle too. He then smiled sympathetically at all the photos of just her and Bam. They were always happy. Even when they argued it was just testing each other's buttons and seeing how many toes could be crushed.

Dico sighed and took the book with him. "Alright, I'm out of here."

"You're taking it?" Bam asked, eyes full of panic.

"You don't look at it." Dico shrugged. "So why not?"

He shrugged his shoulders back remembering that he wasn't supposed to care anymore. "Just wondering."

"What was that?" Missy asked when Dico left.

"Photos from over the summer." Bam smiled trying to forget everything that book contained.

"Good memories?" She smiled.

"Great memories." He said quietly smiling and giving his girlfriend a kiss.

Wolf pulled up in front of the Festspielhaus.

"It's going to rain." I smiled looking out the window.

"No it's not." Wolf looked through the windshield. "There are stars still out."

"You'll see; I'll have right in the end." I smiled taking the hand a valet offered assisting me out of the car.

"My lady." Wolf cleared his throat offering me his arm. "Excuse me, my goddess."

"Yeah, what was with that?" I asked as we smiled for a camera making our way along the carpet. Behind the fence were cameras galore. I waved and smiled as the flashes went off. It was nice to hear my name being called by reporters. It was known here.

Wolf sighed still keeping his charming smile and hand around my waist. "It was nothing. Don't worry about it. So when do you leave for Finland?"

"Actually," I looked up at him. "The same day as you, just earlier."

"That works out perfect then." He smiled looking down at me.

We slowly made our way to the doors, taking photo ops with other people. We were one of the few younger couples attending the premier, but I didn't mind.

Once inside, Wolf laughed at me automatically grabbing a glass of white wine from the first passing waiter. "What happened to Loring's strict no alcohol diet?"

"It's a special occasion." I said innocently defending my case. He chuckled and grabbed his own glass of red wine. Thanking the waiter we made out way to a window. The sky was more overcast than before. I smiled thinking how pretty Bayreuth is in the rain. During the day sure it was stunning, but at night and in the rain it is like taking a trip back in time.

Wolf looked around. "I think some people need a lesson or two on fashion."

I smacked him, "They're just expressing themselves." He rolled his eyes and finished off his drink, placing back on a waiter's tray.

A reporter came up and asked my a few questions about the competition coming up this week. If I was excited and if I felt prepared. Simple questions like those that I didn't mind answering. But then I was through off as he too notes and asked, "So are you still continuing to see America's skateboarder?"

"No, I needed to focus on figure skating." I answered politely and diplomatically.

He looked at me surprised. "Oh, so wedding bells weren't in the near future."

I smiled and laughed, "No; that must have been just a rumor."

He nodded, "I guess so. Is there any bad tension between the two of you due to the break up?"

"Excuse me? We came here to enjoy the ballet; not be pressed for personal information." Wolf intervened sick of the interrogation and his guilt started to rise again.

"It's just the last question." He said coolly and turned his attention back towards me.

"I'd like to think there isn't, but I cannot speak for him." I smiled stiffly as he thanked me for my time and let out a sigh as soon as he was out of earshot. "I didn't expect that."

"He had some nerve asking that." Wolf said hotly.

"He didn't know." I said softly and sipped more of my wine.

Wolf stared at me hard, "You need to stop defending everyone. You never fight for yourself."

I looked out the window ignoring his gaze. It was true. I didn't defend myself. That is how I ended up in Pennsylvania again and how I ended up in India. I run. I keep everything bottled inside until I break down or have a panic attack. Those were never fun.

Wolf sighed and rubbed my back, "Shall we take our seats?"

I looked out the window to see it pouring. "Yeah."

I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire performance. They were performing Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. I am glad it was the Russian ballet because they usually preform a happy ending. The true love between Siegfried and Odette defeats Von Rothbart, who dies after the prince breaks one of his wings. Odette is restored to human form to unite happily with the prince.

In America, however, they usually have more of a Romeo and Jullet ending. Siegfried's mistaken pledge of fidelity to Odile consigns Odette to eternal swanhood. Realizing that her last moment of humanity is at hand, Odette commits suicide by throwing herself into the lake. The Prince does so as well. This act of sacrifice and love breaks Von Rothbart's power, and he is destroyed. In the final tableau, the lovers are seen rising together to heaven in apothesosis.

Either ending the message never changes; true love conquors all.

"That was absolutely beautiful!" I proclaimed once we exited the theater.

Wolf smiled and kissed my temple holding my hand. "I'm glad you enjoyed it. So, happy early birthday."

"Thank you so much." I grinned and was met with mist as the door opened to the pouring rain. I just continued wanting to just dance in the rain. I could care less who watched or how much of a fool I looked like.

"Adel wait." Wolf laughed coming with over with an umbrella. "The car hasn't pulled up yet.

"So?" I giggled and looked up at the sky. Wolf watched smiling and took a picture of his own using his phone.

I ignored the flashes going off and just twirled in the rain. Letting it just wash away my worries, my troubles, my fears, and my pain.