My Beloved Monster

035

Image

Over the next couple of days I didn't have to skate, Chaz hung out with me during the day flipping through this pregnancy book that Loring gave as a joke. Well, I later found out that Klara made him go out and buy it.

So far according to the book I have the swollen breasts, the occasional morning sickness, and I have been known to take the frequent trips to the bathroom.

During the night though, Chaz would stay with me until he would go out with Eve, the girl from that one bar I met Jussi in.

Ah yes Jussi. The cameras have been having fun with us since he has been keeping me company and showing me the sites of Helsinki.

"You would think that we were royalty the way we have been followed tonight." Jussi leaned on the fence looking out on the shore.

"Why, I am royalty Jussi dear. Didn't you know?" I laughed.

"Yes, a royal pain in my ass." He looked over at me and smirked.

I smiled and leaned up next to him. "You've been to places of course being with The 69 Eyes. And out of all of it Helsinki is your favorite, yes?"

"Of course. It is my home." He answered. I watched as the corners of his mouth tugged slightly.

I smiled briefly and looked back at the waters. They would be completely frozen over in a month or so.

"What's the matter Adelina?" I heard Jussi ask and felt him put some hair behind my ear.

"What if one lost their way and could not find home?" I asked not looking at him.

"That's the beauty of about home. You will always find your way back." He whispered in my ear.

"I am not too sure about that." I smiled looking at him.

"You will. It may take a while, but you will." He ran his thumb over my cheek. I closed my eyes savoring the warmth on my skin and his touch.

"How can you be so certain?" I whispered looking into his eyes.

"Because where you find your heart is where you will find home." He said wisely.

"Who taught you that?" I asked curiously.

"My mother." Jussi smiled. He laughed softly lightening the mood. "Mothers are wise huh?"

"So does that make me wise?" I teased.

"Hmm," He pretended to think it over. "I suppose it should, but you are a freak of nature so every rule has an exception."

"No, I am the Noble Butterfly cheeky boy." I pinched his side.

"Hey!" Jussi rubbed his side. "How did you get that name?"

"It's what my first and middle name means. It just caught on I suppose." I shrugged.

"Well it makes you sound graceful." He smiled.

"I hope I am graceful tomorrow. I will need to be." I sighed.

"Don't second guess yourself Adelina. From what Chaz and Ville have told me, you are absolutely amazing."

"I have worked hard enough." I smiled. "I've practiced the long program throughout the whole summer."

"There, nothing to worry about." He smiled pecking my lips.

"Thank you." I smiled leaning on his shoulder.

"For what?"

"For keeping me company and sane these past couple of days. I didn't feel so alone." I kissed his cheek.

"I'm glad I could help. No one deserved to feel that way." Jussi wrapped his arm around my waist. "Come on let's continue down some more."

I swished my black dress as I stretched back stage. I had left the braids in from the short program, but had left my hair down instead of the braided bun in the back.

When I had ran my fingers through my hair, I could believe that it reached my lower back. I was temped to cut it short, but I disregarded the thought and decided to leave it long if only just a little while longer.

I looked through the crowds knowing that the guys said that they would be there.

"There." Chaz pointed to them.

Oh lord, how could I have missed them?

There sat Ville, Jussi, and Mige in the crowd holding very colorful signs. One said, "Noble Butterfly Rocks." Another was, "Kick ass Adelina! We love you!"

And then there was Mige holding, "Have My Babies ASS!!"

I laughed feeling better that there were familiar faces in the crowd. I went back and waited for the other figure skaters to go until I was called. I couldn't watch or listen in order to keep my nerves in check; it was just something I have always done.

I skated around the edge and made my way to the center preparing myself mentally and physically. This was it. This was wait I had prepared for.

My legs were crossed, as were my arms. My body was bent over, letting everything just collapse. I looked like a sleeping doll waiting to be wound up.

"Hope Vol. 1" by Apocaliptica began to play. I poured my heart and soul into this choreography and I hope it pays off.

My arms moved sharply to the rhythm of the song as I skated counterclockwise backwards in a small circle. I made the circle bigger gaining speed.

As soon as the introduction was over and I had enough speed, I managed to land the triple flip.

[You off from the back inside edge of one foot (tapping the toe pick of the free leg into the ice to propel them up), complete the rotation, and lands on the back outside edge of the foot that they picked with.]

I sang the words in my head to remember where to place my feet and how to move my body.

The song was darker than most of the competitors had use, but the cellos sounded absolutely beautiful. It built the anticipation to every jump I performed.

Throughout the whole song the movements fought against each other in a way. It went from stiff and controlled movements to free and flow-y, and then back and forth once more. This provided the outlet for the artistic freedom in the program that I needed.

I ended the song somewhat like I began it. Though the movements were flowing instead of quick and rough. I skated forward clockwise closing the circle this time. I did a layback into a back Biellmann spin.

Not many women normally use this, but I think it looks neat. And since only one other skater used this technique I was able to stand out using it to my advantage.

[Layback: The skater spins in an upright position. As the speed of the spin increases, she drops her head and shoulders backwards, arching her back. Skaters often display different a few different arm and free leg positions during the layback.]
[Biellmann: This spin requires exceptional flexibility of the back and legs, and is performed almost exclusively by women. Standing in upright, the skater reaches behind your shoulders and grabs onto the skate blade of the free leg. The skater pulls her free leg up towards the ceiling, so the skater rotates while standing upright in a kind of reverse split position.]

The Biellmann spin went back into a layback except I went much slower. My arms reach the sky and in the last few seconds of the song I bent over, like the sleeping doll from the beginning.

I heard the crowd clap and cheer as the song came to an end. I did it. I thought I was out of breath last time, but that was nothing compared to this. The long program lasts about double the time of a short one, so this left me breathless.

Yet, I couldn't stop grinning as I waved and bowed before skating off the ice. Chaz scooped me up into the biggest hug and swung me around.

Loring, although just as excited as we were, scolded me to get my guards on.

I beamed and waved to the camera as we took our place on the bench waiting for my score. Although, I may have done exceedingly well for the long program I will have to wait until both scores are totaled in the end to see were I place over all.

Loring and Chas hugged me as we heard my score. They were all 9.8's except for two 9.5's. It was an amazing comeback from my short program.

I waved to the cameras as we went down the hall. I slipped on my jacket as Loring took off my skates for me.

"I am so proud of you Adelina." Loring grinned.

Chaz grinned. "You were amazing doll."

"I feel like I'm on cloud ten." I laughed proud of myself as well.

"Nine." Loring and Chaz corrected me at the same time.

"Oh, whatever." I laughed at my mistake.

"Adelina." Loring called me. "I have to head out."

"Okay, I'll see you back at the hotel." I smiled.

"No, sweetie. When I was talking to Klara earlier, she felt that she was going to give birth soon." He grinned.

I jumped up and gave him a big hug. "That's awesome. Why are you still here? Get going!"

"What about Finnair?" Chaz asked. "Did the strike finally end?"

"Sort of. A friend of mine came in from the Bayreuth Airport and is coming to pick me up. There are only letting him in because it's an emergency." Loring grinned.

"Aww, you're having another kid." I cooed.

He rolled his eyes and scooped me into another hug. "Call me as soon as you find out your rank. Got it?"

"Got it." I hugged him back.

He gave me a kiss on the forehead and hugged Chaz. "Good luck Loring." Loring thanked us and took out of the arena. I was so happy for him and just how excited he was about his son being born was too sweet.

Chaz took me hand, "Let's go watch the rest." I nodded slipping on some clogs and grabbed a water bottle.

We sat were there weren't many people and near the entrance to go back when I need to. The guys saw us and started to come over.

I laughed as they gave me big hugs and congratulated me. Jussi gave me a sweet kiss when I sat next to him. The guys teased us, but it was just something we fell into over the last few days. It was a plutonic thing between us, but I needed the comfort and I think Jussi knew that.

I fidgeted as I watched the last few competitors go. The two women I had to worry about were Elena Sokolova from Russia and Susanna Poykio of Finland. Although Finland ladies singles has yet to win a medal in the European Championships, she was stunning in her short program. Especially her toe loop jump she seemed to be really good at.

I knew that she would definitely win a medal for her country this year. But, where would that leave me? This question sent my nerves in a frenzy. What place would I hold?

I couldn't stop wringing the hem of my jacket in nervousness and occasionally my leg would bounce too.

"Stop," Jussi held my knee down. "You are driving me crazy. Stop being so nervous."

"You try sitting in my place." I mumbled.

He rolled his eyes and then smirked, "When you try performing in front of hundreds or thousands of people."

I gave him a blank stare, "And what did I just do?"

"Oh, well you weren't playing drums." Jussi grinned sheepishly knowing he just put himself in a corner. "Will my charms get me out of this one?"

I shrugged. Chaz tugged on my hand to get my attention before I could reply. "Time to go doll. I've got to lace you up."

"You'll be fine." Jussi whispered in my ear and kissed my temple.

I didn't answer, I just let Chaz lead me back to where we set up and sat down in a chair as he laced my boots up.

"I probably should have left them on." I thought out loud.

"It wouldn't have made a difference." Chaz shrugged and slipped the leggings over the boots.

"What if I didn't make it?" I asked Chaz worried about the answer.

"So what if you didn't. You tried your best didn't you? No one will be disappointed knowing that. And last I heard Stefan Lindemann was doing well. So you have nothing to disappoint your country with, if that's what you are worried about." He kissed my forehead. "Don't worry doll everything has worked out for you so far hasn't it?"

I smiled. I almost forgot about nearly being disqualified. "It has. I needed that reminder."

"No problem that is what I am here for." Chaz grinned confidently.

I knew it was down to Elena Sokolova, Susanna Poykio, and my self. And I had a feeling that we would end up in that order.

My instincts were in fact correct as I finally looked at the scoreboard placing the top 13 ladies singles in order.

Chaz looked at me waiting for my reaction. I smiled over at him. "There's always next time, but I did get my country a medal."

"I told you things would work out." He grinned and grabbed me in a big hug. "I'm still so very proud of you doll."

"You know what?" I beamed. "Me too."

The platforms were set up in the center of the arena and the three of us skated around as they finished putting it together. When they cleared we were directed to stand behind our platform.

I received my medal with as much honor as Elena Sokolova did winning her gold. Germany had won two medals this year. Both bronze, won in the ladies and men's singles.

After Elena skated her victory lap for Russia I gave her and Susanna my congratulations and went to change out of my skates and dress.

I slung my duffle over my shoulder, still wearing my medal, and met up with Chaz and the guys. We were going back to the hotel room to celebrate. I'm sure the guys would leave to go to a bar, but really, I just wanted to relax. I hadn't done that in a while.

When I called Loring, he was still on the plane almost home, and was cheering loudly that I was able to claim a platform.

"So Adelina," Jussi plopped on the bed next to me, playing with the medal hanging around my neck. "How does it feel to win in the championship?"

"Feels pretty good." I smiled and laughed when Chaz and Ville jumped on us.

"Uh, uh, uh." I waved my finger at them. "You can't do anything to me. I have some bread in the oven."

"Are you sure that is that how the saying goes?" Mige asked laughing.

"Hell if I should know. Ask Jussi, he's the one who said it to me." I shrugged.

Chaz and Ville looked at each other and smiled before jumping full on onto Jussi. I licked my lips grinning and pushed them all off the bed where Mige just farted on them.

I rolled on my back laughing hysterically as they complained about the foul smell.