My Beloved Monster

041

Image

April laid next to Phil on the hospital bed. It was a bit uncomfortable, but it didn't matter because it gave her comfort that they were together. The last few days had been tiring running back and forth between the hospital and her home.

"Wow." Phil smiled as Ape showed him the sonogram pictures. "Look at the tiny nose and those small hands."

"She also has videos and a recording of when she first found out she was having twins." Ape sighed contently.

"Do you remember when we were first pregnant with Jess?" Phil chuckled rubbing his wife's hand in comfort.

"Yeah, I thought he kicked a lot, but when I was pregnant with Bam," She laughed. "Jess' seemed like an innocent taps." She sighed sadly wondering what will happen in the end. Will everything work out?

"Don't worry Ape, things will be all right." Phil brought her hand to his lips and kissed it knowing his wife's concern.

"I hope so." She said quietly laying her head on his shoulder.

"So Knobs is it now?" Phil laughed.

Ape smiled. "Yeah."

"Who's idea?" Phil mused.

"Novak's." Ape laughed. "He came up with the whole concept of an alias name."

"So I guess I should get used to calling her Knobs now." Phil smiled shaking his head at how childish they were. But, they weren't kids anymore they were all grown up. "How scary is it that Bam, Knobs and them are technically adults now."

"Technically adults that's scary." Ape laughed softly. "But, they will never act like it. Although, Knobs has matured a lot since cooties."

Phil laughed. "Do you remember when she would do that little dance because she was so grossed out? Then, she would go up to you or Amara and have you kiss the spot that a boy tapped her."

"Yeah," She shook her head laughing. "Because only another girl's spit could counter the cooties."

"Knobs." Phil laughed harder. "I just can't get over that."

"Who's Knobs?" Bam asked coming in plopping in one of the extra chairs.

Ape calmly as to not get Bam's full attention slipped the sonograms in her purse as Phil replied, "Just a friend."

"That's a nick name right?" He opened his can of soda and slouched in his chair.

"Of course." Ape laughed. "Though, with the friends you have, it could be a real name."

"Could be." Bam shrugged uninterested. "Glad to be going home tomorrow?" He asked his dad.

"Absolutely," Phil sighed. "There is no place better than home."

Having to have stayed at so many hotels,vans, hosptials as well for various things, Bam couldn't disagree. Raising his drink and nodded his head, there truly was no place better than home.

"So, is there anything you need me to do?" Bam made the offer. "Anything you want me to bring to your house for you?"

Phil saw the temptation in his wife's eyes, but respecting Adel's, or Knob's rather, decision he spoke up before she could spill the beans. "No thanks, I think we got everything covered."

"Alright, but you can't say I didn't offer." Bam gulped down some of his soda.

Ape sighed sulking and laid down next to Phil again.

"What's your problem? Don't want you're husband back home?" Bam teased, but really, he wanted to make sure his parents were all right. Ever since that scare of a heart attack he wanted to make a conscious effort to appreciate them even more.

It was scary to think how he could lose something he loved so dearly in an instance. Though, when his stomach twisted for a second, he knew he had felt this way before, it felt slightly familiar and he never wanted to feel this way again. So trying to ignore it he turned his undivided attention back to Ape.

"Fine." Ape mumbled slightly annoyed that Phil didn't send him to their house. Maybe stumble across Adelina and fix everything. No, of course not, because they have to be stubborn and do things the hard way.

"Oh yeah real convincing Ape." Bam said sarcastically.

"No, I'm fine just tired." She sighed. It wasn't completely a lie, she just wish that things had gone differently.

"If you're sure then, I'm going to go home. Dunn is supposed to meet me there for a little while. Jess and Kelly said that they'd come by today so they should be here in a little while." Bam said. It's been a routine that he has fallen into the last week.

"That sounds good." Phil agreed.

Bam nodded and threw his empty soda can in the wastebasket, "I'll give you guys a call later."

Bam drove home with a CD on low and found Dunn eating in his kitchen. "I thought you went grocery shopping?" Bam took off his coat and threw it over the chair.

"Got side tracked." Dunn shrugged with his mouth full. "Phil seemed to be doing a shit load better these past few days."

Bam nodded his head agreeing. "No, yeah, definitely." He smiled. "He's so happy to be going home, Ape too."

Dunn knew how anxious everyone has been waiting for this moment. "It's about time. I didn't think a week could feel so long."

"I know right?" Bam took off his beanie and ran a hand threw his hair, teasing it.

Dunn was about to add a comment when his cell went off. Dunn took it out of his back pocket and looked at the ID. "I'm gonna take this."

Bam nodded and shrugged. He went over to his fridge and grabbed a water bottle. Bam took a seat across from Dunn and propped his legs on the adjacent chair.

"Hey, that was fast." Dunn answered the phone.

"What can I say? I'm the best." Glomb laughed. "Anyway, I'm at the place you told me about, by Ape's salon."

"Oh, yeah? What kind of state is it in?" Dunn leaned back in the chair.

"Well, it's a cheaper place because it need's a lot of work, but the location is good. And I'm guessing Ape will like that she can still keep an eye on her."

Dunn sighed hoping it wasn't too much work. "But you can fix it, right? I mean it's good enough for Knobs?"

Bam lifted his head when he heard that name again. Who was this Knobs person? And how is that his parents and Dunn seem to know who this person is, but he had no fucking clue.

Tim chuckled at the new name. "No yeah, give me like eight weeks and Ape will definitely approve this place."

"Dude you gotta be able to do this in at least half the time. If Knobs is planning on leaving in a year, we need to convince otherwise. That's the whole point of this thing." He knew that their idea wouldn't work if this didn't get off the ground soon, like now soon.

"Alright." Glomb groaned knowing he was going to have his work cut out for him in the next couple of weeks. "Fine, I'll get a couple more guys on it. You owe me."

"Yeah, yeah." Dunn laughed and hung up.

"How do you know Knobs?" Bam asked once he got off the phone.

"You know Knobs?" Dunn asked skeptically.

"Ape and Phil seem to know him?" Bam said feeling more confused.

Dunn almost laughed at how bam automatically assumed that Knobs was a guy. He rolled his eyes behind his sunglasses and played the whole thing off. At least Bam was going to be following the wrong trail.

The whole concept of the alias name was to throw him off, right? But, how on Earth are they going to come together if they have no idea who the other is. Well, if Bam is kept in the dark anyway. This whole thing was going to just get messy and complicated if things are kept hidden too long. Hopefully Ape or one of the guys would think of something quick or at least get Adel to change her mind.

"Could be the same person." He shrugged. "Knobs is just someone I met along the way."

"So ready to get back to the Jackass set again?" Bam laughed.

"How long did Knoxville get the cameras for?" Dunn finished up Bam's food for his dinner.

"Til November so we can keep going with whatever." Bam grinned.

"That DVD is going to be awesome." Dunn laughed think about the stuff they have planned.

"Of course." Bam laughed and drank more of his water. "So what has to happen in less than a month?"

"You are a nosy fucker." Dunn shook his head.

"I just like to be kept in the loop. I'm the one who makes the surprises not on the receiving end of them." Bam shrugged. "Well?"

"Just a project I'm working on." Dunn answered vaguely.

Bam noticed this and didn't like it one bit that something was being hidden from him. It could probably well be that it is none of his business and that this had nothing to do with him. But, how could his parents and Dunn know someone that he has never heard of until today? It was just a bit unnerving for him. Especially since it seems like they're all close. How could he not know this guy?

"Bam you know that truck I tinkered with a bit." Dunn asked.

"You mean that piece of shit that just sits in your garage?" Bam laughed. It was this beat up pick up, well it wasn't in such a bad condition. Though, it was grafittied all over because of a drunken escapade; that was a fun night.

"The very one. It's safe to drive you think I didn't cut any break lines or anything that night right?" Dunn asked trying to remember.

"You, the so called haggard ass car mechanic, are asking me." Bam laughed. "But, yeah, it was safe and everything. We just made the outside look kind of gay. Why?"

"I was just thinking. That Knobs person is in Westchester for a while and I was going to give him that truck to drive. I mean it's not that old, it's a '99 I think."

"How old is Knobs?" Bam asked curious.

"Why?" Dunn said slowly wondering where Bam was going with this.

"No reason." He shrugged. "Just wondering."

Dunn rubbed his beard. "24? No, Knobs just turned 25 a couple of months back."

"Aw a young'n you're looking out for." Bam cooed.

"What can I say, I'm just a generous type of guy." Dunn smirked, even though Adel at 25 wasn't that much younger than them.

I rolled over and looked at the clock on the side table. Well I tried to, but it wasn't a digital, so I had a bit of a problem. I strained my eyes to see that it was only 12:30.

I groaned. I wish my jet lag would just leave already. If I were back in Bayreuth it would be six ours later, meaning I would be getting up to get ready for work at the moment. I looked over at Bruno still sleeping on the edge of the bed. How come it's so easy for him?

I sighed and rolled over onto my back and stared at the ceiling. I walked into the bathroom attached to my room and looked at myself in the mirror.

I felt so old at the moment. Though, it probably due to the bags under my eyes from restless sleeps and stress. What was I doing to myself?

I tested the water and drew a bath putting some bubbles in that was on the counter. I sighed the winter Olympics were going to be beginning soon.

I slid off my sweater and slipped off my dress and leggings. I rested my clothes on the chair and striped out of my bra and underwear. I had never been to Italy before, and I was really looking forward to it. It would have just been an honor to participate in the Olympics.

Well, at least I was able to participate in the European Championships back in October. Who was I kidding? I was definitely upset that I couldn't go to Turin. I sighed and eased my body into the warm water.

There was a knock on the door, "Adelina, sweetie?"

"Come on in April." I leaned the edge of the tub and rested my head in my arms.

"Is everything okay?" She asked making her way into the bathroom.

"Jet lag." I sighed. "And thinking."

"About what?" She smiled slightly. I sighed and slipped under the water. "Oh, no you don't." She chuckled and slipped her hand under the bubbles and pulled my up gently from under my chin. "Well?"

"The Olympics are coming soon." I mumbled.

"Oh." She said softly. "And you were supposed to be in them, huh."

"Yeah." I rested my head against the edge of the tub once more.

"Well, Adel you have been to the Olympics in Colorado and in Japan. Sweetie that's a huge accomplishment." She wiped the soap off my nose and smiled. "Besides there's always the next one in four years."

"Ape look at me. I will have three year olds by then." My eyes widened. I would have three year olds. "I'm going to be a mom."

April laughed. "Did this philosophy just hit you now?"

"No, I mean I know I'm pregnant." I stuttered. "But, I'm going to be a mom."

"Honey, hate to break this too you, but that's generally what comes from being pregnant." She laughed harder.

I glared. "I knew that."

"Oh, Adel. I love you hun." She stood up and threw a towel at me. "You're getting all pruney."

"I happen to like being pruney. Thank you very much." I said smartly and laid against the back of the tub.

She unplugged the tub and turned the cold water of the shower on. I screamed and wrapped the towel around me quickly getting out. I was shivering and sputtering as April had a good laugh. She turned off the water grinning. "Go to sleep Adel."

I stood there with the water dripping off me. "I hate you."

"Love you too darling." She kissed my pouting face. I heard her laughing all the way to her room.