My Beloved Monster

045

Image

Since Ape and I obviously didn't want our lives on public display, well even more so. She gave me a look that we would be talking later and went back to talking with her friends and taking care of her last costumer.

Even on the ride to her house we stayed silent. Though, I don't think neither of us minded that.

After hanging up our coats, I followed Ape as she put the on kettle for tea. "Just let me know now, before we start, how high should I get my hopes up?"

"Not too high." I said softly playing with the bracelet on my wrist.

She took my left wrist in her hand and examined the bracelet. She ran her thumb over the engraving and sighed. "Are you sure about that?" She sighed and let get of my hand. She poured two cups of tea and handed me one. "So what happened today sweetie?"

I watched the color from the tea leaves mix with the steaming water and smiled. "I was running late from Aschenputtel. I was only a few miles down the road when the engine started smoking and the engine light went on."

[Oh yeah Aschenputtel is Cinderella I never mentioned that.]

"It didn't." She clenched her jaw when I nodded my head. "I knew I shouldn't have let Dunn give that. . .thing to you!"

"Relax April." I shrugged. "Maybe it was meant to happen this way. I forgot to charge my phone again." I said sheepishly as she rolled her eyes. "And I called Novak with the last of my battery."

"Why didn't you call me?" She asked setting her mug down.

"I don't know." I smiled shyly at the fact that I hadn't thought to do that. "Anyway let me finish. Dico and Bam took away his car battery for the hell of it I guess. And then out of no where there's someone yelling at me or it was meant for Dunn rather."

"Bam." Ape smiled.

"Yeah," I smiled and laughed a bit. "He was so shocked to see me it looked like." I then frowned remembering his face after he opened the door. "He didn't say anything when he saw all of me. But, I saw his face."

"Honey you have to give him some credit." Ape defended her son. "No one has told him anything."

"He doesn't want kids." I said softly.

"What gave you that impression?" She asked tucking some hair out of my face.

I let out a shallow breath trying to keep the tears at bay. "The doctor assumed he was the father being there with me. But, he corrected her right away saying that he was just the driver and that he didn't want kids yet."

"Yet honey." Ape rubbed my shoulder comforting me. "There's a difference you know between not at all and yet."

I felt my chest tighten slightly. I knew all this stress was going to start to take its toll on me; I would just have to be even more careful.

"Want to hear some good news?" She asked trying to lighten the mood. "I heard that Jussi and Ville might be coming for a visit. Well HIM is in LA now doing interviews and stuff for Wings Of A Butterfly, but you know Bam, he'll make them come visit once they come near our coast."

I told her all about the competition in Finland and the fun I had with the guys. "Yeah?" I smiled slightly.

"Yup, Dunn let me know." She smiled relieved that I looked happier hearing that.

"I haven't talked to them in a while." I smiled.

"Well, I'll let you know whatever I hear." She smiled. "Anything in particular you want for dinner?"

"No." I shook my head tapping the side of the mug with my fingernails. "Do you want me to help you?"

"I've got it all under control." She smiled and began to take a pot down and some ingredients out of the cabinet.

"Okay then, I'm going to call everyone and let them know the good news." I grinned and grabbed my mug of tea. I went over to my purse and grabbed my cell phone. I walked into the living room and sat on the couch. Bruno jumped up next to me and rested his head on my legs.

I smiled and scratched his ears. His tail tapped the couch as he wagged it enjoying the attention. I dialed up Chaz first.

"Hallo doll." His voice sounded groggy. "You just love disturbing my beauty rest, don't you?"

I looked over at the grandfather clock and bit my lip. I was almost two in the morning in Bayreuth. "Oops?"

"You've been there, what a month now? And you still don't remember the six hour time difference." He chuckled.

"But, you'll forgive me for this disturbance." I smiled.

"Really? And why would I do that?" He asked amused.

"Because not only are you going to have a nephew, but a niece too." I looked down at my belly and grinned rubbing it.

"No way?" He laughed. "Doll, that's amazing."

"I know." I beamed. "Oh my gosh Chaz, you have no idea how happy I am."

"I'm glad doll." Chaz smiled. "You deserve it."

"The doctor said that they were more than likely fraternal, which is good news because that would be less stress on them." I traced swirls on my stomach. "So I ran into Bam today."

I heard Chaz sigh in relief. "Finally, I've been waiting for you to tell him. So, how did he take it?"

"Just because I ran into him, doesn't mean that I told him." I rolled my eyes.

Chaz groaned, "Adelina, doll I love you, but you need to tell him."

"Yeah, yeah." I leaned back on a pillow. "So, would you mind telling Loring for me. Oh, and Marie and Wolf and Helga too. It'll save me some money on my phone bill."

He laughed. "No problem. But, you have to promise me that you'll keep updating the photos on the website."

"Promise." I grinned. "Thank you Chazzy baby."

I heard him chuckle and yawn. "I'm going to go back to sleep. Congratulations doll. I'll telephone you soon."

"Okay, bye Chaz." I hung up smiled. I scrolled through my phone list and called Novak.

"Yellow?" He answered.

"You just couldn't have teleported could you?" I whined.

"Nope, but everything worked out didn't it?" Novak looked up across the kitchen at Bam and Dico. "You know on top of that you left me with a cranky Bam."

"Boo, hoo for you." I rolled my eyes and laughed.

"What?" Novak took a sip of his beer grinning.

"They're moving around and kicking. It feels funny." I put my hand to my stomach where I felt a kick. "They're like nocturnal or something. Sleep all day and kick all night."

"Maybe they're vampires." He laughed.

"Maybe." I mused. "I did find out about them in Helsinki. Maybe it was Ville and Jussi's doing."

"Who's a vampire?" Bam asked.

Novak shook his head at him and turned around. "A Helsinki vampire huh? That's rich."

"Who are you talking to?" Bam asked again.

"None of you're business." Novak laughed. "So, what are the little monsters to be?"

"A boy." I smiled.

"So he can do stupid shit like his old man." Novak grinned and looked at Bam showing Dico something he drew for Jackass.

I shouldn't have let that comment get to me, but I did. This feeling of regret really sucks. "Real funny. But, I'm going to have a girl too."

"Frilly pink bows and knock out looks like her mother of course." Novak smiled.

I laughed, "But of course."

"So, I'm not too sure because of how he came home, but did you tell him?" Novak sighed.

"No." I said softly. "The timing is still not right."

"Oh, yeah?" Novak said getting frustrated. "And when is the timing going to get right Knobs?"

Bam looked up when he heard the name again. Although, he continued to talk with Dico, he kept an open ear out for Novak's conversation.

"I don't know. I just." I sighed. "I just need more time."

"Sweetheart, time isn't going to wait for you." Novak smiled sadly.

"I know. I'm still in the denial." I laughed softly. I heard Ape calling Phil and me for dinner. "Hey I'm going to go. Ape is calling me to eat."

"Hey, save some leftovers for me. I'm starting to get sick of frozen pizzas."

"We'll see." I mused. "If there is any left."

"We'll see." Novak mocked. "You're already starting to do that mother disciplinarian shit."

I laughed. "So how do I sound?"

"Like a mom." He shrugged smiling. "Later sweetheart."

"Is Knob's gay?" Bam asked making Dico spit out his drink laughing.

"Do I look like I would be able to tell?" Novak raised his eyebrows.

"Yeah." Bam said in a 'duh' tone and nodded his head.

"Fuck you man." Novak gulped down another take and shook his head.

"Well, Knobs is more into guys, wouldn't you say Novak?" Dico laughed.

Novak gave him a look wondering what he was up to. "I guess so."

"So he is gay?" Bam looked at the two guys who just shrugged. He sighed frustrated that he wasn't getting anywhere. This day was like a fucking Alice and Wonderland mental trip.

"Promise the coast is clear?" I asked Novak over the phone. I wasn't needed at the coffeehouse. I have been able to avoid Bam since last week.

Everyone is not too happy about that either. They're getting more and more frustrated with me that Bam has still been kept in the dark.

But, the timing still doesn't feel right.

I just need more time.

Time that is running out and time I know I don't have.

"Positive sweetheart." He assured me. "I just opened the gate for you so get your ass here. I'm bored."

I had Phil's car since Ape didn't trust anything else Dunn had to offer me. "Fine, I'm coming through now." The gate closed automatically behind me.

I pulled into a spot near the hobbit hole and began my walk to the back door. I knocked on the back door.

Novak looked at me like I was crazy, "What are you knocking for?" I shrugged. "What? You don't believe me? I'm telling you for a fact that he's not here."

"I know." I nodded and followed him into the kitchen. "I'm just being cautious I guess. I don't know. It's a little uncanny now that he knows I'm here."

"So, what would you like to do now?" Novak grabbed us each a water bottle.

I shrugged following him upstairs, "Doesn't matter. You called me over, you choose."

"Movie?" Novak offered.

"Sure." I walked over to the small shelf next to the television. I scanned through the small collection Bam left out. "How about Animal House?"

Novak grinned and agreed. He shoved in the DVD and we got comfy on the couch. I dosed in and out during the movie, but woke up for the ending, which was my favorite part so it worked out. I love how the fingers break off so the float is flipping off the crowd.

I yawned and stretched my legs petting Trouble who had curled up on my lap sometime during the movie. "I think I am going to go back to Ape's; I'm exhausted."

"Babe, why don't you stay here and nap and then go." Novak suggested. "Because if anything should happen to you I don't want Ape to come after me, like she did with Dunn."

I laughed. "I'm sure you could run faster than him though." Ape was so mad at Dunn because the car he gave me broke down. She took frozen paintballs and open fired at him when he came to see me during last week.

Let me tell you. That woman has impeccable aim.

"Fine." I reluctantly agreed. "But, if Bam isn't happy if he comes home unexpectedly, you take the blame."

"Full blame. I swear." He put his hand up. "Boy scout's honor."

I laughed pushing him up the stairs. "You were never a boy scout."

"Could have been." He opened the guest bedroom. "Figured it'll be cleaner than the one I'm staying in."

"Thanks Novak." I smiled and kissed his cheek. I pulled down the comforter and snuggled under them. I heard Novak laugh and start to leave. "You're not going to stay?"

"I don't know." He began.

"Come on, please?" I pouted.

"Only because you said please." He rolled his eyes and laid on top of the blankets.

I squirmed out of my sweatshirt and fixed the straps of my tank top. Novak started laughing at me. "What, I'm hot."

"Just go to sleep." He rolled his eyes again.

"Fine." I snuggled up to him giving into sleep.

"Yeah, I know man. I'm just thrilled that you could come." Bam laughed with Jussi throwing the door open.

"Looks like this room is already taken." Jussi grinned seeing figures in the bed.

Bam swallowed recognizing me. His couldn't believe his friend. "Bam, what's wrong?" Jussi followed his hard gaze. He smiled seeing Adel. "Maybe it's not what it looks like. You shouldn't jump to conclusions."

Bam shut the door. "Yeah because Novak in shorts and Adel naked is not what it looks like." Jussi followed Bam to the Pirate Bar, where he welcomed a beer. "She's even pregnant."

"With twins right?" Jussi watched Bam and treaded carefully with the subject. Though, he couldn't help but push buttons to test his limits.

"How'd you know?" Bam looked up. "Do you even know who that is?"

Jussi smirked. "It's Adelina Senta, the Noble Butterfly. She took third in Helsinki and broke dozens of hearts by not attending the winter Olympics. She was pretty upset herself. How do you know her?"

Jussi of course knew the answer to this to begin with, but was just curious with the response that Bam would give.

"Our mothers were friends and I spent some time with her over last summer." Bam shrugged downing more of his beer.

I yawned walking down the stairs to the kitchen. I shoved my sweatshirt over my head. I jumped back startled to see Bam and Jussi.

They both turned to me when they heard me shuffling. One looked a lot less happy to see me than the other. "Hallo." I smiled timidly and stifled a yawn. "Excuse me."

"Adel." Bam nodded his head hello. "What are you doing here?"

I walked over to them as confidently as I could. However, my insides were twisting in tight knots. "Killing boredom. I wasn't needed today."

"Hello darling." Jussi smirked. "You said that you would call."

I kissed his cheek. "No, I called last time, it was your turn this round."

"My apologies." Jussi smiled patted my stomach. "So how are they doing?"

"A boy and a girl now." I grinned. "And they are doing fine."

"No kidding." He chuckled. "Mige and Jyrki were having bets."

"Oh really?" I smiled amused. "And who won?"

"Neither. They didn't believe me nor Ville that you were having twins." Jussi laughed.

His jaw dropped ajar. Bam watched the conversation go back and forth like a tennis match. He couldn't believe it. He finished off his beer and popped open another one.

I chuckled. "I still have a scar from the sauna." I lifted up the sleeve on my right arm. "You said it would go away."

"My mistake." He kissed the scar. "Better?"

"It might be." I rolled my eyes. "Maybe you should spit on it."

"No it wasn't just spit. It was vodka and snow." Jussi laughed.

Flirting. Right in front of him.

Bam cleared his throat. "Funny story?"

"Jyrki burned me with the steam in a sauna." I began.

"Well, that is because she wouldn't listen." Jussi added.

"And so they were trying to cure it thinking of coming up with some kind of antiseptic. Ville and Chaz said that the vodka would work since it had been chilled. So, after they both gulped a bunch down, painstakingly they poured some over my arm before they even warned me." I laughed at how they complained about wasting their precious liquor.

Jussi chuckled. "The vodka just burned her more. It was an opened wound after all. You should've heard her yell, which just sent Jyrki into a frenzy fussing over her injury. He felt so bad."

I laughed. "Aren't you going to tell how the snow into play?"

"I thought you would. You enjoyed it more." Jussi snickered.

"You wish." I teased poking him in the chest.

Right in front of him. He just couldn't believe it.

"Anyway he stood up and threw his towel down for extra emphasis because of the fool he is. Starched naked, went out into the minor snow fall Helsinki was having and got some snow for my arm." I smiled.

"I was her night and shining armor." Jussi laughed.

"Don't you mean in?" Bam asked smiling a bit.

"Well it was an innocent mistake and, in they're the same. Kind of." I bit my lip.

Bam shook his head and laughed a bit. Though, on the inside he was screaming.

"Anyway, I have to go." I said sliding on my shoes and jacket. I took the keys out of my pocket. "Oh and Novak might be passed out still. Good night."

I vaguely heard their goodbyes as I shut the door behind me. I let out a deep breath releasing some stress. I sighed and made my way to Phil's car.

"Didn't look like it seems huh?" Bam said bitterly and finished off his current beer. "You didn't mention that you knew her personally too."

"We kept each other company and I helped show her around Finland until the strike was over. They were there an extra week or so." Jussi shrugged.

Bam went behind the bar and pulled out some whiskey. He needed something stronger to get rid of these nerves and unnecessary thoughts.