My Beloved Monster

048

Image

Bam ignored the book Dico dropped on the table before going to raid the fridge and cabinets for some food.

However, he caught a glimpse of it anyway. It was the scrapbook Adel had put together for his birthday present. "Why is this here?" Bam asked shutting down his laptop.

Dico shrugged being satisfied with some cold pizza. "It's yours. I just didn't realize that I had it still. Ready to go out?"

"Let me take a shower first." Bam got up and made his way up the stairs.

"Is Jussi coming with?" Dico shouted.

"Nah, left this morning to check out some coffee shop I think. I don't know. Wasn't interested, but he insisted on going." Bam called down over the railing.

Dico nodded to himself and went back to the fridge to find something to drink.

"What's this?" Dico heard Missy ask.

Cursing that he bumped his head on a shelf, he grumbled and grabbed a bottle of Pepsi. He looked over to see what she was talking about when he saw her tracing the heartagram on the cover of the album. "A thing a friend of ours made. Nothing too big."

She shook her head and smiled at the picture of everyone on the cover. "No, it looks like a lot of work went into this." She then noticed a girl among the guys. "Who's she?"

He twisted off the cap of the bottle sipping the little foam that began to leak over the top. "Oh, she's the one who made the album."

"She looks familiar. Did she grow up around here?" Missy looked up at Dico.

"She was born here, but she moved before school even started." Dico explained briefly and vaguely.

Missy nodded and opened the cover and began to look through the first couple of pages. They were pictures of the guys mostly just doing their thing. The woman from the cover was in a few actually participating sometimes, which made her laugh softly.

Dico scooped up the book and went upstairs with his drink in hand.

"Dico?" Missy called after him, but he never replied.

She grabbed her keys and headed back out with a change of plans. She was on her lunch break and instead of sticking around, she decided to just drive around and think.

She drove through town passing the familiar shops. Then, taking a right, she went down and passed Ape's salon and that new coffee shop that she had really liked.

Missy almost stopped short right then and there finally realizing why that face seemed so familiar. She turned off the radio and drove into the parking lot of Aschenputtel.

The gold bell rang as the door knocked against it when Missy pushed it open. She took a quick glance around the coffee shop to see various costumers sitting around.

She went up to the counter when it was her turn in line. She ordered a drink and a small sandwich from the girl behind the counter. She walked over to the cash register as her order was being made.

Missy smiled at the uniforms the girls that worked here wore. They looked like traditional German dresses to go with the theme of the place. She understood why there were so many male costumers; they were hot, but were not too smutty. She smiled thanking at the girl serving her and paid for her lunch.

She took a seat in the corner so she could sit in peace and just people watch for little bit.

She noticed the familiar spiky hair a couple of tables over. She almost got up and greeted him, but she noticed that he already had someone keeping him company.

Missy looked out the window and began to finish her second half of her sandwich. She sighed and leaned back sipping her coffee and finally letting herself to think.

She looked back over at Jussi and the woman. Missy noticed it was Adel, the one she has talked to several times before when she's been here, and played with the jewelry on her hands as she heard the two talk in his native tongue.

"So how have you been feeling lately?" Jussi asked me as I was finally able join him. We had just finished off the flock of costumers that came in for lunch.

"A week out of the hospital and no more problems so far. I'd say that I'm feeling pretty good." I chuckled.

"Oh Adel, you I can't understand." He shook his head.

I shrugged. "I'm just not meant to be understood. If everyone understood everything than what would the point of life be?"

"Can't disagree with that logic." He raised his cup smiling.

"Thank you." I grinned smartly. "So how has your stay in Westchester been?"

"Can't say that I can complain. Endless free drinking and just having a good time." He smiled goofily.

"I envy that. What I wouldn't give for a good party right now." I laughed. "So how much longer do you stay here?"

He sat back in his chair trying to remember his plans. "Uh a week more I think. Though, I'll come back in June for you of course."

I smiled and blushed. "Thanks. That means a lot."

He ran a hand of over my cheek laughing at the rose tint. "It's only fair you know. We met the day you found out. We should only be reunited again when your monsters pop out."

I laughed. We had all been referring to my babies as monsters.

"Yo Knobs!" Novak came bustling through the door. "You're still alive!"

"Shouldn't I be?" I looked at him weird.

"Well I'm just surprised at how long you've managed to stay out of the hospital." He spun the chair around and rested his arms on the back frame of it. "English speaking too. None of this let's talk about Novak in some language shit he doesn't know."

I stood up to get him his usual drink. "I'm so glad that everyone has so much faith in my health and well-being. Just helps put me to sleep at night, sound as a baby." My voice dripped with sarcasm.

"Hey I wasn't the one who was blue!" He shot back.

"That happens you know when there's lack of oxygen." I set his coffee in front of him.

"Thanks sweetheart." He smirked.

I place a hand on my hip. "Oh I see how it is. You're all sweet only after you get something."

"Of course." He smiled smugly as he drank his coffee.

Jussi laughed as I took my seat back next to him. "Adelina, he's a guy, he's going to act like a spoiled brat."

"Oh?" I smiled amused. "And what about you?"

"Yeah!" Novak added.

"Me?" He smiled innocently. "I am but a Finnish gentlemen."

"Yeah right." Novak and I said at the same time.

"Eh, it was worth a try." Jussi grinned.

"Besides." Novak laughed. "We're just giving you some practice, right Jussi?"

"But, of course." Jussi smiled.

"I don't like either of you anymore." I pouted.

Missy wasn't stupid. She could put two and two together. She sighed and swirled her coffee around.

She was a great woman, so sweet and selfless. Missy didn't know how she did it.

Now knowing that this woman was also Knobs, she knew why everyone was so worried about him.

Or her rather.

Missy laughed softly to herself. Bam was the only one really who thought Knobs was a guy.

She knew what she was going to do. She finished her sandwich and grabbed her cup of coffee. She threw away her trash and with one more glance at Adel, headed back to work for the rest of the afternoon.

"So what are your plans for today?" I asked them.

"Where's Lindsey?" Novak asked interrupting.

"You're girl is should be here around three to work." I teased. "What about you Jussi?"

"Hmm, nothing. I really was just planning on kicking back here with you." He shrugged.

"Kicking back?" A smiled played on my lips.

Jussi grinned slightly embarrassed. "I've been picking up more on some American slang."

"Dude at least you're doing better than her and she's been here for more than two months." Novak laughed at my expense.

"Oh fuck you." I glared teasing.

Novak tisked me. "Uh, uh, uh. Such vulgar language for a mother to be."

"Oh well, I'll just have to cut off your free caffeine supply." I threatened and held out my hand. "That'll be $3.75."

"Just put it on my tab." He grinned and mumbled. "Well, you sure got the hang of dollars fast."

Jess, one of my employs came over and said that she was going to go take her lunch break.

"I think those uniforms were one of the best ideas I've ever had." Novak grinned.

"I'll admit, they're hot." I shrugged. "It probably was the only best idea you've ever had."

Novak glared. "Is not."

Jussi laughed and high-fived me. "I'll agree to both."

I stuck my tongue out at Novak. He did the same mocking me and drank some of his coffee. I heard the jingle of the bell and looked up to see Dico coming in. My smile however fell when I saw who followed. "I think that week of good health has just came to an end."

Novak looked over his shoulder briefly. "You did bring this on yourself sweetheart."

"Novak." Jussi growled warningly at him.

I place my hand on his arm. "No he's right."

Dico went over to the counter and constantly rang the bell for service.

"Why are we here?" Bam raised an eyebrow at the place. He looked around at all the painted murals and some other stuff hanging around.

"Because I like the drindles and the coffee." Dico shrugged and continued to ring the bell.

I sighed and made my way over to behind the counter. I roughly grabbed the bell before he could hit it one more time. "Oi, Dico, you do that once more and I swear."

He leaned on the counter amused. "You'll do what?"

"I won't serve you." I smirked.

"Then we'll just have to take it up with your boss." Bam smirked back joining the conversation. Maybe that Finnish wisdom Jussi told him, that truth shit, whatever, he would give a try.

I was a little taken back with Bam's friendly behavior, but I didn't let the smirk leave my face. "Fine I'll go get her."

"Good." Bam nodded.

Dico snickered when I walked into the back room and turned around and came back to the counter. "Yes, is there a problem gentlemen?"

"Where's your boss?" Bam asked smugly.

Dico burst out laughing. "You're even speaking with the owner Bam."

He gave me a weird look. "What?"

I shrugged smiling. "It was a ploy to get me to stay."

Dico stopped laughing. "Wait, you knew about that?"

I gave him a 'duh' look. "I may act naive, but I'm not completely ignorant."

"Oh," Dico's face fell worried. If I knew about their plan then what was left to keep me behind.

"Don't worry so much Dico. It'll all be okay." I smiled. "So, what can I get you?"

"Well you already know my order." Dico stepped aside for Bam.

Bam looked between Dico and Adel. How much was he ignorant to?

How much did he not know?

I smiled at Bam. If he was trying today, then I figured I would to. "Vell?"

Bam smiled slightly at the accent as I spoke. "Surprise me."

I nodded and went to fill their order.

"Yo Adel!" Novak called over. "When is Lindsey coming?"

Bam looked over to see Novak and Jussi. No wonder Jussi wanted to come here. He took a deep breath and reminded himself to be nice.

"I told you already, three! Suck it up and be a man Novak instead of some long lost puppy." I rolled my eyes. I heard Bam laugh a bit at my comment. I looked over and smiled softly at him. "You guys can go sit. I'll bring it over."

"Thanks babe." Dico lead Bam over to the table with his other friends.

I handed them each a mocha and a some cheesecake as well as a plate of Berliner Pfannkuchen (marmalade filled donuts) for everyone.

Bam went to pull out his wallet. I stopped him, "Don't worry about it." I winked at him. "Besides, Novak will work it off."

"Damn straight." He agreed grabbing a donut. "Wait? No I won't."

"You're going to disagree with me" I heard the bell ring and smirked. "And Lindsey?"

We laughed when he scrambled around kissed Lindsey on the cheek with sticky lips. "Hey babe."

"Lindsey, Novak volunteered to clean the tables and mop when you close tonight." I grinned and sat back next to Jussi.

"Oh really?" She looked at Novak who nodded vigorously.

"Yeah, that's because I'm a Finnish gentleman and not some brat." He swallowed what was left in his mouth.

Lindsey looked over at me. "Do I even want to know?"

Jussi and I looked at each other and shook our heads laughing. "Nope."

Bam watched as Adel was laughing and looked so lively. He took a bite of his cheesecake and just felt so horrible about the way he had been treating her.

He smiled and joined in on their conversations. Bam smirked at how Novak was taking orders from that woman, Lindsey? He thought he'd never see the day.

He looked over and saw Ape came in when the bell chimed as the door opened and closed. She didn't notice the group of them and continued to get a coffee. "Lindsey where's my Smurf?"

Novak nodded his head over to the corner. "Still peachy colored."

Ape was surprised to see them all getting along. She walked over carefully hopefully not disturbing their flow. "Huh, I didn't think I'd see this for a while."

"What that Adel isn't blue?" Dico teased.

"Hey!" I pouted. "I've managed to be pink for a week now. You should be very proud."

Dico twirled his finger and rolled his eyes. "Whoop di do Ass."

"What?" Bam looked at them wanting to know this inside joke. He noticed all their uneasy looks.

"I turned blue last week and freaked them out." I shrugged and try to play it off.

"Sure." Bam said slowly and shook his head letting it go.

"Hey." Ape ran a hand through Bam's hair. She didn't bring anything up about Adel so she wouldn't kill the mood. And more than likely Bam didn't know anything.

"Hey." He smiled. "What's up?"

"Long week." She sighed. "But, not too bad."

I lowered my head hearing the conversation feeling guilty. Maybe today was a good sign, but I was still terrified to tell Bam anything. I mean how do you bring up in a conversation, 'Oh, by the way, you're going to be a dad and I almost died losing everything.'

Real simple huh?

"You ready sweety?" Ape asked me. She had taken away my driving privillages and insisted on taking me everywhere.

"Yeah." I nodded standing up and went to get my coat and purse. I came back and smiled. "See you guys later."

Bam watched as we got into the PT Loser and pulled out.

"So why the change of heart?" Jussi asked smirking.

Bam shrugged. "I thought about what you said to find some common ground."

Jussi nodded. "It'll make things easier." Dico added catching onto their conversation.

Easier for what, Bam didn't know. He figured much like everything else lately, just to let it go. Bam drank some more of his coffee and grabbed a donut. He had to admit the stuff here tasted really good.

"So, how long has she owned this place?" He tried to act casually.

Dico sighed. "We opened officially a little more than a couple of months ago."

Bam nodded being at a loss for words. She's been her for that long and he had no clue up until several weeks ago. He was just blown away that he never knew.

So like he thought before, how much does he really not know?