Status: slowly active

Don't Let Me Fall

2

I could hear that the door opened by someone and that someone was turning on the light. Great. I couldn't sleep anymore. I could hear the footsteps, walking towards my bed and after a while, sat on my bed.

"Vanessa." It's my Dad's voice. I didn't make any move and stayed in my position; eyes closed and curled under my blanket.

"Vanessa." He called again and turned on the table lamp. He shook my body slightly. I knew that he won't stop it until I awake.

"Hm?" I muttered, eyes still closed. He sighed and waited for a while.

"I have to go." He said simply like it always happened. Well, it was sometimes happening. I opened my eyes slowly and glanced at the alarm clock that’s standing strong on the side table.

"In the middle of the night like this?" I asked him slowly and he nodded. I could see that he's not wearing his glasses but phone glued on his hand.

"There's a case." He said and glanced at his phone.

"Where's Mom?" I asked suddenly, "Is she going with you?"

"No. She'll go after breakfast." He answered as he glanced at the clock.

"Okay, then. Careful, Dad." I said as he stood up and kissed my forehead before turned off the table lamp.

"I will. And take care, sweetie." He walked away, "Good night." He turned off the lamp and finally, closed the door. I sighed at myself before closed my eyes.

I hate it if my Dad had to go in the middle of the night like this. Did he realize that he needs more sleep? He had been working for 10 hours last night. Wow. He's crazy.

**********************************************************

Been waking up cause of the annoying sound of alarm clock was so not good. I forgot to turn off the alarm clock last night. With eyes still closed, I drifted my hand to the side table and when I got the alarm clock, I threw it to the ground. Finally, the sound stopped.

When I was ready to sleep again, the door opened and, "Wake up, Vanessa." My Mom sang from the doorway. She walked in as I opened my eyes slowly. She walked towards the window and, "No!" I groaned and suddenly closed my eyes again. She pulled back the curtain and the sunshine dazzled my eyes.

"Wake up, honey. Time to breakfast." She sat on my bed and pulled the blanket off my body.

"No. I still need to sleep." I muttered with eyes still closed.

"If I said wake up, you have to wake up." She said then stood up from my bed. I forced myself to open my eyes and stared at my Mom. I could tell that she's ready to go to work. I sighed before sat up and rubbed my eyes slowly.

"Good girl." She smiled at me and walked out from my room. I stood up and grabbed the alarm clock from the ground then put it on the side table again. I walked out from my room, without closing the door, to the kitchen.

"Morning, Nessa." Claire waved at me from the dining table. She's eating her pancake while watching the TV.

"Morning, Claire." I said as I pulled out the chair and sat across her.

"Pancake?" Mom asked from the kitchen.

"Hm, yeah." I answered and she gave me the pancake, "thanks, Mom." I mumbled after she gave me the pancake.

"So, what's your plan for today?" Mom asked after took a sip of her tea.

"Going to Starbucks and lunch with Zack and then-"

"Take me to Ann's birthday party." Claire cut me off and finished my words.

I rolled my eyes, "Thanks for finishing my words, Claire." I continued to eat my pancake and glanced at my Mom for a few times. I ate my pancake in silence while Claire answered a phone call from her friend. I overheard her and she said that she would be with her friend until lunch. So that meant, she wouldn't go with me. Oh, it felt so good to know that.

After finishing my breakfast, I drank the milk and helped my Mom washing the dishes. When I was already finishing the dishes, the door cracked open and, "The traffic was suck."

"Good morning, Dad." Claire yelled from the living room and made me turn to look at the doorway. Dad smiled as he took off his coat and walked to the kitchen.

"Hi, honey." He hugged Mom from the back and kissed her hair.

"Hello." Mom said and turned back to kiss Dad's lips shortly.

"Morning, Dad." I greeted as I walked out from the kitchen to the living room, joining Claire and sitting next her.

"Morning, kids." He sat on the couch across me and smiled.

"So, how's the case?" I asked him as I kept staring at the TV.

"Difficult. There's no hand-print on the body but we'd find one mysterious print on the crime scene. Hawkes was re-checking the body for the second time. It's a little bit weird that there's no hand-print of the murderer in its body." He answered and stood up then walked to the kitchen, grabbing a cup of coffee.

"Who's the victim?" Mom asked as I heard my phone ringing from my room.

“Rick Newman. He’s the editor-in-chief in one of the economy magazine in here.” He answered as I stood up and walked to my room. I grabbed my phone from under my pillow and saw ‘Zack’ name flashed across the screen.

“Hello?” I answered the call as I walked back to the living room.

“Hi, Nessa.” His voice was a little bit slow and I could hear some noises in the background, “Don’t forget about today.”

“Starbucks, right?” I asked back as I sat on the couch next to my Dad. He smiled a little and turned his gaze to the TV again.

“Yeah. We’ll meet at 10, right?”

I glanced at my Dad’s watch and my eyes widened, “W-what? Okay then. See you in 15 mins.” I said then hung up the phone.

“What’s up with you, girl?” Dad asked me as I started to panic.

“I have to meet Zack at 10 in Starbucks which is 15 minutes again!” I said in one breath and stormed to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and washed my face in hurry. After that, I ran to my room and changed my clothes.

“Vanessa. Are you ready?” Mom yelled from the living room as I grabbed my bag.

“Yeah!” I walked out from my room, closed the door, and joined my family in the living room. Mom & Dad already waited near the front door without Claire. Hm I bet she’s already going to Samantha’s, our neighbor.

“Okay. Let’s move.” Mom said as she opened the front door and let us out first. We waited until she locked the door and after that, we walked together to the elevator. I checked the clock on my phone once again and gasped. It’s almost 10 o’clock. Oh God, I hoped luck would be on my side today.

**********************************************************

“What?!” I said, half yelling to the phone and made some people staring at me. I ignored them and kept on staring at the ground.

“I really am sorry. I can’t cancel it cause my Dad will be so mad at me. I’m so sorry, Nessa.” I could hear the ‘sorry’ voice from his voice and I bit my lower lips. I couldn’t understand why he did that to me, breaking his own promise.

“Nessa, I know you’re so mad at me. Just spit it out.” He said again.

I took a deep breath, “Yes, I’m so mad at you. You know what, I already waited here for 30 minutes alone—well, there’s a stranger who’s sitting in front of me cause he didn’t get a table—and then you finally called me. I was like ‘yes! He maybe almost reaches here.’ but then you said, ‘sorry, I can’t come. My Dad just got here from Japan and I have to meet him.’ It kills me, Zack. I waited for you since 30 minutes ago and you just broke your promise a minute ago!” I said as I glanced at the stranger whose sit in front of me with a hoodie and a nerd glasses. He’s drinking his coffee and sometimes, glanced at me from the corner of his eyes. I could see it, you know.

He let out a sigh, “Once again, I really am sorry. I promise I won’t do that again. You—“

“You always say that you won’t do that again. But you couldn’t keep your promise, Zack. I hate it when you gave me a promise but in the end, you’ll break it. It hurts me, you know.” I cut his words and let out a sigh, “Don’t even try to give me a promise again cause I don’t need that.” I said then hung up the phone. My tears were about to fall but I held it. I can’t cry right now.

I put my phone in my bag again and closed my eyes for a while. I hate Zack. I hate him so much. Why did he break his promise again? An hour ago, I could hear that he was so excited when he’s about to meet me.

“Ugh.” I groaned and bit my lower lip again.

“Ehem.” The stranger cleared his throat and made me to look at him. I narrowed my eyes then shook my head in disbelief.

“Are you okay?” The stranger asked. I silenced for a while and took a deep breath.

“Do I look like I’m okay?” I said coldly and looked down again. I really didn’t want to be bothered by anyone.

“Um, no.” He said and cleared his throat again. Seriously, what the hell was he doing?

“I’m Nick.” He said again. I looked up to see him and forced a smile, “I’m Vanessa.” I said in low voice and sipped my coffee.

“Umm.. Do you know that cat can fly?” I almost choked up and my eyes widened.

“Seriously? Cat can’t fly, Nick.” I shook my head and laughed. This guy had a sarcastic type of joke but that’s kind of funny for me.

He’s laughing with me and took off his glasses. I looked at him and gasped. That brown eyes. I guess I've ever saw that brown eyes before.

“N-nick Jonas?” I asked slowly and my mouth hung open. I started to sweat but I ignored it. I couldn't move and froze.

He gave a small smile, “Yeah, it’s me.”
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter 1!
thanks to Sherry Ownz Diz for the comment :)