You Stole My Heart

Siete.

It wasn't until five that Marco finally came out, her locking herself in for half an hour. Jimmy had tried apologizing and Johnny and Zacky tried to coax her out, but it didn't work. They had finally left her alone ten minutes ago to start up the grill. They were planning to start the pit in Brian's backyard when Marco came out. Her eyes were a little red and she looked like what only could be described as shit.

"Hey. Are you okay Marco?" Johnny asked as she sat in the chair next to him. Johnny, Jimmy, and Zacky had pulled the chairs into a semicircle as Matt and Brian were busy working at the grill. They were, however, eavesdropping on the group.

"I'm fine. Just a little tired is all," Marco replied stubbornly. She leaned sideways in her chair, her small head resting on Johnny's upper arm.

"Are you sure?" Jimmy pressed.

Marco let out an agitated sigh. "Yes! I'm fine!"

"Okay, okay. We believe you," Johnny shushed, glaring at Jimmy. As the adults began to talk of music again, Marco began to daze off. What seemed like seconds, which was about twenty minutes, she was being shaken awake.

"It's time to eat," Matt told her. She looked up to see Johnny had also fallen asleep. She sat up slowly and rubbed her eyes. "You had Johnny stuck in his seat."

"I did?" She asked quietly, feeling guilty.

"Yeah. But it was nice to see him so happy and relaxed for once," Matt replied, waving off Marco's guilt. She slowly nodded and he grinned down at her, showing off his dimples. "Go ahead and grab a bite to eat. I'll wake up Johnny."

"Okay." Marco hopped out of her seat, walking over to the wooden picnic table made for eight. Once she climbed in next to Jimmy, the other side of her empty, Matt gently shook Johnny's shoulder.

"Whadda want?" Johnny mumbled, sleep heavy on his voice.

"Wake up, dude. It's time to eat," Matt chuckled. Johnny muttered some incoherent words, pushing himself up right in his seat. He rubbed his eyes with both hands as he let out a strangled yawn. When he finally opened his eyes he saw Matt and no Marco.

"Where's Marco?" Johnny automatically asked.

"She's getting food, like you should be too." Johnny looked over and sure enough Marco was popping a fry into her mouth. Johnny stood to his feet, stretching and popping his backbone. "You know, she's really grown on you, hasn't she?"

"She's grown as everyone," Johnny waved off. It was true. All the guys would be ashamed to admit it, but the little girl had managed to wrap them all around her fingers in less than a day.

"True, but you're the one she's seeing as a parent." This caused Johnny to freeze in mid-step, only five feet away from the group. He whipped around to face Matt who shrugged. "What? It's true."

"I am replacing no one’s parents," Johnny hissed.

"Don't shoot the messenger. You just need to tell Marco that. Maybe not so harshly, but just let her know you're not trying to be her dad or anything," Matt replied, clapping his friend on the shoulder. Johnny sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“I will later.” Matt nodded, leading the way over to the table. Johnny plopped down on the empty side of Marco and Matt sat across from him.

“Hey Johnny,” Marco greeted brightly as Johnny plopped a cheeseburger onto a bun that was on his Styrofoam plate.

“Hey Marco. Have a nice nap?” Johnny asked with a small smile on his face. She nodded with a wide grin. “Good. Glad I wasn’t uncomfortable.”

“Best pillow I’ve had,” Marco chirped. This caused the table to laugh a bit. Marco’s ears perked at the familiar sound flowing from the radio Brian had set up next to the grill. “Hey! That’s My Chemical Romance!”

Sure enough, their song “I’m Not Okay” was playing soft through the air. “We know them,” Jimmy informed.

Marco’s eyes narrowed in suspicion. “No way.”

“Of course! We’re-” Brian, who sat across from Jimmy, kicked his shin. Jimmy hissed, grabbing his damaged leg. “Ow! What was that for?”

“What’s Jimmy blabbing about?” Marco asked curiously, turning to look at Johnny with wide eyes.

“Nothing Marco. Jimmy’s a little off his knocker.” Jimmy opened his mouth to protest, but Johnny carried on. “Never listen to him about anything. Have you ever been near a fire pit before Marco?”

“Well once at some Christmas thing where they roasted marshmallows. But even then the people who were watching everyone didn’t want me anywhere near the flames,” Marco replied with a shrug.

“Well that’s changing tonight,” Matt piped up. Marco’s head turned to him, a faint smile on her lips.

“Really?”

“Yes ma’am. We’re going to start it up here soon,” Brian replied. Marco just stayed silent, still smiling. Soon Brian started up the pit as promised. Once he was pretty sure it wasn’t going to go out, he left the grill to sit with the guys at the picnic table. Marco had left to lay on the grass next to the fire.

“Someone’s going to be asleep again,” Zacky laughed. The other four looked over and smiled lightly.

“We’ll just leave her for a bit. Then I’ll take her home,” Johnny replied, looking at the wristwatch on his left wrist. Six thirty.

“Should we give her a nickname? That way she’ll be officially part of the Avenged family,” Jimmy inquired.

“Hey, about that, are we ever going to tell her our profession?” Zacky asked curiously. Jimmy huffed and crossed his arms as he was ignored.

“We’ll tell her when we have to. For now there’s no point,” Johnny replied, lighting up a cigarette. He offered the pack out, everyone taking one. Soon they lapsed into a comfortable silence.

“Wait a second. Aren’t we due to start working on a new album soon?” Jimmy asked. Everyone let out a groan.

“Shit. We have to meet up with that dude tomorrow. What are we going to do with Marco?” Matt asked. Johnny pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Looks like we have to take her with,” Zacky piped up.

“Guess so,” Johnny muttered. They soon trailed off into the topic of the new album along with multiple other random things. By the time Johnny checked the time again it was nine o’clock. “Fuck! I need to take Marco back.”

“Oh fuck. Right.” Johnny walked over to the young girl curled up in front of the kindles of what remained of the fire. He carefully slipped his arms behind her neck and knees, picking her up gently. She turned in his arms, curling up into his chest. He left out the side gate Brian held open for him. Brian also jogged ahead to open Matt’s backseat. Johnny climbed in and laid Marco next to him, her head resting in his lap.

“Thanks man,” Johnny whispered to Brain. He just smiled and nodded, shutting the door quietly. Matt, Jimmy, Zacky, and Brian all shared their quick goodbyes before Matt and Jimmy climbed up front. As they headed to drop off Johnny, Johnny’s hand unconsciously began to run through Marco’s hair.

“Johnny.” His head snapped up to see Matt holding his door open. “We’re here.”

“Oh.” He climbed out before picking up Marco again, this time rest her head on his shoulder while wrapping an arm under her behind to keep her up. He nodded goodbye to Matt before walking up the pathway. He managed to unlock his door without disturbing Marco. Once inside he shut the door, double locked it, and headed up the stairs. He laid her in the guest bed, taking off her shoes and placing them on the floor. As Johnny turned to leave a voice called out.

“Johnny?” He turned to look at Marco who was half sitting up in bed.

“What is it sweetheart?” Johnny asked, walking back over and sitting next to her on the edge of the bed. She gave him big, doe eyes. Her eyes resembled a pure, innocent look.

“Can you stay here until I fall asleep again? I’ve been pretending to sleep, but I’m scared to go back to sleep by myself,” Marco whispered. Johnny sighed, kicking off his shoes with his feet. He pulled up the covers to climb under. Marco smiled a little, cuddling into the chest of the man laying next to her. He wrapped his arms around her, laying his head on a pillow.

“Goodnight Marco.”

“Goodnight Johnny.” He waited until her breathing evened out before he kissed her forehead. With that he let his head his the pillow again, quickly passing out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Commenters whom I love: KellShadows, xXcrazy-desiXx, hachie, DeathbatScreamer, surfergirl, angy_kaulitz, and violetriddle. Sorry it took so long. Writer's block and piles of school work. But does cut and adorable chapter make up for it? I hope so. Comment again? :)