Status: completed

Escape This Afterlife

Hayden

Chapter Fourteen
Hayden's POV

"Guess what! Guess what! Guess what!" was all I heard before Kitty football tackled me awake. Ugh, now is not the time to get up. Maybe in ten more minutes…or ten more hours…Kitty started bouncing on my chest, still screaming at me to "Guess what!", so I rolled over, pulled my pillow over my head, and tried to block him out.

Unfortunately, Kitty's impossible to block out. He took my beloved pillow and threw it across the room before poking me in the nose about a million times. Ugh, I think he's trying to break my nose. I scrunched my face up, trying to show him that I didn't want to be poked in the nose anymore…or ever again. He didn't listen.

"What?!" I asked, glaring at him. Kitty, let me go to sleep. Let me go to sleep. Let me go to sleep. I am going to hypnotize you and you will let me go back to sleep.

Kitty didn't seem to be fazed by my apparently terrible hypnotizing skills. "You get to go to Kissa Metsä with us!" Kitty squeaked excitedly, while dancing around weirdly on top of me.

Great. I get waken up for Kitty to tell me more make believe things. That's cool. I'll just go back to sleep now…Wait, how can I go to sleep when Kitty insists on screaming and poking me? I better just humor him. "What is Kissa Metsä?"

"Kissa Metsä is the magical city of nekos! Well, it's not actually magical, but it sounds cooler if you call it magical. Anyway, it's were my grandparents-who aren't really my grandparents-live with all my cousins who they found on the street! And then my aunts and uncles-who aren't actually my aunts and uncles-come too and we all see each other and it equals awesomeness and one of my aunts and uncles families is all cross dressers and another of my cousins was found in the middle of a snowstorm and one of aunts makes all her kids clothes and so the kids know how to too so they look all Lolita Goth and it's really cool and so other of my cousins-"

Ugh. I don't think I understood even half of that. That's too many words too fast. I covered Kitty's mouth with my hand to avoid any more nonsense I didn't understand. "I'm not awake enough for you to talk and talk and talk…but you didn't stutter at all!" I said, tacking on the compliment at the end because I didn't want him to get angry at me. Plus, it's just really cute when he doesn't stutter and he deserves for it to be mentioned…even if it does make him blush. Kitty licked my hand, making me pull it away like it'd been burnt. That was uncalled for! We do not lick Hayden's hand!

"S-since I didn't s-stutter c-can I h-have a k-k-kiss?" Kitty asked, shyly.

Aww, how are you supposed to refuse him? And why would I ever want to, for that matter? He's just too sweet. I laughed at the innocent look on his face and leaned in to comply. Kitty kissed back softly, and I ran my tongue over his bottom lip. Kitty opened his mouth to let me in and I ran my tongue over his sharp canines, being careful not to cut my tongue on them.

I loved how I could tell how different he was, just by kissing him. I liked being as weird as someone else and wished I could just show him, but I can't. Kitty's differences make him all the more beautiful, but mine or just weird and make me sound crazy. My difference is all mental, and it would be way too easy for him not to believe me. It's not like I have any proof. I wouldn't even believe me, so how can I ask him too.

At that moment, I realized I cared about him too much to lose him. I couldn't tell him. Maybe I can make this stop…If I stop talking to them for long enough, maybe they'll just leave me alone. Kitty deserves to have someone normal, who can deal with his own problems.

Wow, I really think too much while we're kissing. It's not that he's not good--because that would be a horrible lie. He's great--, it's just I have problems getting my brain to turn off.

Kitty's soft moan brought me right back to reality and he straddled my waist. I wrapped my arms around him, wanting him as close to me as possible. Kitty grabbed on to my hair, pulling slightly which only made me want to kiss him more. We molded our body together, tongues rubbing against each other, until we finally had to pull apart for air.

Kitty moved his lips to my neck. I gasped embarrassingly loud at how soft his lips were and how good they felt against my skin. I tilted my head back, giving him better access, and closed my eyes. I just wanted to focus on the feeling. Kitty moved to the base of my throat, sucking and biting. It hurt, but it was a good kind of hurt and I pulled him, if possible, even closer to me and moaned. Kitty licked it softly, like he was trying to make it better before pulling away and looking up at me, with a satisfied smirk.

"Oh! I forgot to tell you! We need to pack! We leave tonight!" he exclaimed, randomly.

I looked at him, strangely. I was tempted to point out that he mentioned this until now, but then I thought about it. Would I trade that amazing make out session for knowing that I needed get all my stuff packed a little bit earlier? No, I would not.

I did the sensible thing instead. I kissed Kitty on the cheek, picked him up off of me before placing back on the bad, and went to find my carryon bag. I pulled it out from under the bed and scooped all of my clothes and dumped them on the end of the bed. I didn't know how long we would be gone and I doubted Kitty knew either, but I didn't want him to leave so I didn't ask. It's not like I have a whole ton of clothes and they'll all fit in once suitcase. I started folding them neatly, while Kitty's eyes stared a hole in my back. I disappeared into the bathroom to get my toiletries before coming back. Kitty was still lying on the bed, spacing out and just being cute in general.

"Don't you need to pack, too?" I asked, since I doubted Kitty had already done so. Kitty looked at me surprised, before shooting out of the room to get his suitcase.

Oh, Kitty. He definitely tests my memory. I have to remember to check him over when we leave the house, to make sure he has all of his clothes and shoes on, his suitcase, something to keep him occupied (A bored Kitty is not a happy Kitty, especially since his tail and ears are going to be hidden for hours at a time.), and food (I swear he wouldn't remember to eat if I didn't tell him.). I especially need to remember the shoes part. I've lost count of the number of times we've had to turn around to go back home after we realized half way to school that Kitty forgot shoes.

I heard a loud, high-pitched squeak, followed by several thuds. Crap. Please tell me you didn't just break you leg, or something. We need some kind of safety system, so Kitty can't fall down the stairs every single day. I'm surprised he hasn't really hurt himself yet.

I ran over to the bottom of the stairs in the other room and saw Kitty lying on the ground, barely visible because of the giant suitcase on top of him. I walked over to him and pulled the suitcase off of him and cradled Kitty in my arms, so I could check him for bruises. Kitty looked up at me with big, sad eyes; his tail bent at and odd angle; and his ears lying flat against his head. I checked each of his arms and legs and checked his tail to make sure it wasn't broken. When I'd finally decided that he was mostly unhurt, except for a couple of cuts and bruises, I relaxed a little.

" I'm such a weak pathetic excuse for a boyfriend! I cry at the slightest sign of anything going wrong and I never do anything to help anybody! Everyone is always helping me up and holding me! I can't do anything right!" Kitty sobbed quietly, holding on to me.

He doesn't know how wrong he is. It's great having someone who's always makes my day brighter just by being around and he's so sweet and understanding and trusting. Who wouldn't love him? Doesn't he know that I like to do things for him? I like to hold him and take care of him. I just wish he wouldn't get hurt.

I knew better than to say anything right now though. Kitty just needs to cry himself out. I know he's frustrated. Anyone who was a clumsy as he is, would get angry sometimes. I took him over to our bed and tucked him under the covers, running my hand over his silky ears to help calm him down. I lay down next to him and just tried to comfort him as well as I could.

At long last, Kitty's sobs turned to sniffles and slowly they stopped all together. I held him for a few more minutes, before I pulled away a little bit, so I could look at him. Kitty's eyes were red from crying and he looked exhausted.

I leaned over to kiss him on the forehead and got out of the bed. "I'll pack for you. Get some sleep," I whispered.

I grabbed the abandoned suitcase that had almost killed Kitty and threw it on the end of the bed. I found everything Kitty would need for the trip and all of his toiletries and put them in the suitcase, trying to be neat even though I knew Kitty would go through the clothes the first day we got there and dump them everywhere. He says he can find things easier if they're all over the place, which doesn't make any sense to me, but if he says so that's fine.

When I finished, I looked over at Kitty to see him sleeping soundly. He was even snoring softly, his tail twitching. I couldn't help but be glad that I wasn't lying next to him, because Kitty has a tendency to stick his nails into my back and talk about chasing butterflies. I swear he really is a cat sometimes.

I smiled at him, before that was crushed when I saw someone I didn't want to see. I turned on my heel and ran up the stairs, knowing that I would be followed, but wishing she would catch the hint and go away. I barely paused long enough to wave good-bye at Mrs. Hewitt, before running out to the yard. I just had to get away from everything.

"Hayden, what's wrong?" Ewa yelled, as she appeared in front of me, looking concerned.

"Just go away," I hissed. "I don't want this! I want to be normal and I can't ever be when ghosts won't stop talking to me. They're going to think I'm crazy if I say anything, so I never will, you understand?! I'm not going to give up everything for you!"

Ewa looked at me, insulted and disbelieving. "He'll never know you if you don't tell him. What gives you the right to hide that from him?! He's told you everything about him and you still don't trust him!"

I sank to my knees, sobbing. "He deserves someone who can take care of him. I can't do that if I have to deal with all of this. He'd never believe me and why should I expect him to?!"

Ewa sat down on the grass next to me. "I thought things were going pretty well. You don't have to tell him if you don't want to, but it will become a problem in the future. It's only a matter of time before Kitty knows you're hiding something from him. He's not stupid."

"I know he's not!" I couldn't believe she'd even say I thought he was. I'd never think that. "This isn't about how clever he is, it's about whether you would believe something you don't have any proof of and is, as far as I know, unheard of. If you can find something that will prove I'm telling the truth than fine, but if you can't shut up and go away."

"Fine. You know I've only ever helped you. I'll find something and I'll keep the rest of the ghosts away from you. You could at least be grateful. I expect an apology when I get back," Ewa snarled, before disappearing without another word.

I wish I could say I felt bad, but I didn't. I just couldn't take anymore of this. I know what's most important to me and that's Kitty and my new family. I've never had a family before and I definitely won't lose them.

I wanted to just sit out here forever, trying to figure out what I should do. I really like Ewa, but she's not my family. I can't see any way to make this better for everyone. Finally, I knew I couldn't hide out here anymore and went back inside.

Mrs. Hewitt looked up at me. "Are you okay?" she asked, looking concerned.

I smiled, weakly. She really is like a mom. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. I just needed to get out of the house for a while," I answered, keeping it as much to the truth as I could. It's funny that I never used to mind lying to people, but I don't think I could lie to anyone in this family without breaking down…No, that's not true. It's that they know me enough that they can tell I'm lying and there's really no point hiding it once they know something's wrong.

In this one case though, Kitty's mom just looked at me doubtfully and said, "Okay, but you know you can come to me about anything. Can you go downstairs and get Kitty? We've got to leave in a few minutes."

"Okay," I sighed, relieved. I thudded down the stairs, running over to the bed and jumping on it. Mwuahaha! Payback is sweet! I cackled evilly, shaking Kitty until he woke up, glaring at me cutely. "Come on! We've got to go to the airport!"

I bounced off the bed motioning at Kitty to follow me, but he just rolled over and covered his head with a pillow.

Ugh, payback.