Status: completed

Escape This Afterlife

Hayden

Chapter Two

I literally almost fell out of my chair when I heard the teacher's voice, a couple of doors down boom out at some innocent victim. Well, maybe not innocent, considering the general level of asshole around here. "Mr. Hewitt! It would be greatly appreciated if you could be quiet for more than a minute, it would be greatly appreciated." That teacher is fucking loud! Indoor voices, children!

My teacher could hear him too--obviously. Otherwise, she'd have to be deaf. Mrs. Jordan--that's her name--rolled her eyes and muttered something about not being surprised if Mr. Hewitt, whoever he is, blew up half her classroom one day. I hope he does. Maybe the flames will singe off part of her unibrow. Seriously, it's scary to look at her.

"I've got to check this out," another one of my regulars--Gross! That makes me sound like a prostitute!--said. She was a Madonna from the 80's look-alike and she had a massive head wound. Before I could say anything, not that I wanted to, she disappeared. She came back a moment later, doubled-up laughing. "I think the kids tweaking out! He's minds full of squirrels, and numbers, and he's trying way hard to keep still, but he doesn't know he's bouncing up and down his seat. It's really funny! I wish you could see it!"

Well, isn't that a stupid thing to say. I'd have to be dead, moron.

Madonna Girl plowed on, oblivious to my irritation. "He's really cute, by the way. Just in case you're looking for someone to mattress dance with."

"What?" I asked, quietly, forgetting that I was supposed to be ignoring her. Does she really need to be asking about my sex life…or embarrassing lack of one?

"You know, jump his bones, do the nasty, or are you all cute deep down inside and say make love?" she teased. This girl is clearly a freak. I flipped her off, as inconspicuously as I could. It was too inconspicuous. She didn't even notice. "I'd be happy to watch."

"Gross," I muttered out loud, wishing she could know how vomit-inducing her presence was. Sadly--in this case--ghosts can't read my mind. I don't know why.

"Don't be a square," she complained. "Get some action while you're still young." I glared. She raised her arms in surrender. "Fine. Fine. It's your life." She disappeared, leaving me to finish my science work in peace. Good thing, because you have to put everything in, in the right order or…well I'm not sure what, but I doubt I want to find out.

I glanced at the clock. Thank god, there's only a couple of minutes left. "Mr. Alexander?" It sounded like she didn't know who that was.

I sighed, wedging myself out of my too small desk and drug myself over to the teacher. This had better not be anything bad.

"Oh, you," Mrs. Jordan blurted out. She didn't seem thrilled. "Um, go to the counselor's office. You know why don't you, because it doesn't say on here?"

"That's because we all know. Hayden's a freak and a faggot. You going to cry to the counselor, you little bitch?"

Oh, really clever. I'll just burst into tears now and run off crying just like you want. Wrong.
Mrs. Jordan didn't say anything to the bastard though. We don't want to hurt his feeling, do we? This thing is, I really couldn't care less about his feelings. "Suck my-"

"Mr. Alexander! Get out of my class! NOW!"

"With pleasure," I snarled, slamming out of the class, just as the bell rang. Fuck. Now I have to go "share my feelings" and "discover why I don't relate with others", like I don't know. One time, the counselor--Jessie--tried to put me on meds after the rumors of me talking to ghost--Are they still rumors if they're true?--spread around the school. It didn't work. I, in Jessie's words, "threw a tantrum." I didn't, but if it makes her happy to think so that's fine. The happier she is the less she talks and I'm all for not talking.

OOF!

What the hell just ran into me?! I looked down to see a small boy who seemed confused. "Are you going to get up or just stay there?"

He glanced up at me, surprised. "Evil pandas with horns?!"

"Evil pandas with horns?" I asked back. Who thinks like that?

"What are you looking at?" He turned bright red. This has got to be the kid from earlier. There can't be many people that are so weird in one school. THe boy scrambled to his feet and started to run off before shouting, "Sorry! I'm not high!" He ran lightning fast to two boys who had to be his brothers, maybe they were even triplets?

But that's not important now. He's probably--no definitely--like everyone else. No one can be selfish all the time. Madonna girl just caught him on a good moment.

I went into the counselor's office alone, surprisingly, considering one of the ghosts--an older man from about 1900, who died from a heart attack--likes to come with me. He just shakes his head and mutters things like, "In my day we used to lock people like you up and washed our hands of the whole mess."

"Hayden, I'm glad to see you're here. You're a bit late, but that's the rebel in you-"

"I.."

"No. This is very telling, Hayden. You're rebelling against society, but at the same time, you're longing for attention which manifests in the voices you hear…" And it went on and on until I wanted to stab myself, or Jessie--more likely Jessie--in the eye. She didn't stop talking until the bell rang for math.

"Got to go! Bye!" I darted out the door towards Mrs. Davidson's geometry class. I snuck in just as the bell rang. As I walked to my seat, I heard someone squeak. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him again. I moved to the front of the class--not a very safe spot, by the way. I'll have to shave my head, there'll be so much gum in my hair by the end of the day. I felt the tingling things you get, when you know someone is watching you, like their eyes are boring into your skull. I knew.

"He likes you." I jumped a little before realizing it was just Madonna Girl again. "And not the usual 'like you to get popular' or 'use you for sex' kind of way. He honestly wants to learn more about you…and he thinks you're really hot. Ask him out," she insisted.

I rolled my eyes. I could never go out with any one, not after knowing what people are like. It doesn't matter that he hasn't thought anything bad yet. He will.

"He's looking at you."

I ignored her. The rest of the class passed, without anything happening. After what seemed like forever, the bell rang for us to go home. I walked right past the boy, without saying anything. I won't lie though. I wish I had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment&Suscribe?