Status: One chapter down, none to go ;)

Mine

Mine

Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh

You were in college, working part-time, waiting tables
Left a small town and never looked back
I was a flight risk, afraid of fallin'
Wondering why we bother with love, if it never lasts

“Trust me, this place has the best food,” Mollie chimed as she pulled into a parking spot out front of the dinar she had dragged me to, “And even cuter waiters.”
“I should have known,” I chuckled and shook my head as she cut the engine and grinned over at me.
“What?” she asked and tried to put an innocent expression on her face.
“You never come here for the food[i/], you come here for the toys[i/],” I answered and we looked at each other for a second before bursting into a set of laughter.
“You caught me,” she sighed and held up her hands in defense, “I’m guilty as charged.”
“You always are,” I said in a sing song voice and she rolled her eyes before reaching over and opening the door to her car, “So how long have you been coming here anyway?”
“Since Freshmen year,” she answered and I gawked at her as I emerged from my side of her car, “Not every day! Just every Saturday morning!”
“Still, that’s a little stalker like,” I teased her and she shrugged as we headed across the parking lot towards the entrance of the dinar, “What’s his name anyway?”
“Nick,” she breathed out and smiled lightly at me, “He’s adorable and one of the nicest guys I’ve met.”
“Sounds like you’ve got yourself a keeper,” I nudged her playfully as I spoke and she smirked lightly, “What’s that look for.”
“I was actually sort of hoping that you’d get yourself a keeper,” she nudged me back and I rolled my eyes.
“I really wish that you’d stop trying to fix me up with guys’ babe.”
“I’m not trying to fix you up! I’m trying to introduce you to someone,” she protested and held the door open for me.
“I don’t need any guys, I have you. That’s all I need,” I replied and she smiled gratefully before pushing me forward a bit, “Where do you want to sit?”
“The open table in the corner, that’s in his section,” she answered and I started trying to push through the crowded dinner room, “You just had to pick the guy that had a section on the other side of the room.”
“Stop complaining grumpy,” she teased me as I finally broke through the last of the college students and then sat down at the table that she had indicated.
“Hey Mollie,” an unfamiliar masculine voice said from behind me as I picked up the breakfast menu that was on the table, “Who’s your friend?”
“Nick, this is my best friend Keyla,” Mollie introduced me and I shot her a quick look before lifting my head to look at Nick.
My stomach gave a sudden lurch as his eyes met mine and I knew that Mollie would never let me live this day down.
“Nice to meet you,” Nick smiled down at me and extended the hand that wasn’t holding his tablet and pen.
“Same to you,” I replied and let my hand be overtaken by his.

I say, "Can you believe it?"
As we're lyin' on the couch
The moment, I can see it
Yes, yes, I can see it now

Do you remember, we were sittin' there, by the water?
You put your arm around me for the first time
You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter
You are the best thing that's ever been mine

“Stop it!” I laughed and tried to push Nick away as he tickled me.
“What are the magic words?” he asked and I glared intently at him through my laughter, “Come on Keyla, you can do it!”
Please[i/],” I coughed out and he smiled before pulling his hands away and letting me catch my breath, “You.Are.Evil.”
“You don’t believe that,” he chuckled and I rolled my eyes as he picked up the remote to his TV and turned on ESPN.
“Maybe, maybe not,” I sighed and twisted my body around so that I leaning into his chest, “I’ll decide later.”
“Whatever makes you happy,” he yawned and lifted his arm up before wrapping it around my shoulders.
“Can you believe it?” I giggled and he looked down at me before raising an eyebrow, “It’s already been two months.”
“Really, it’s seemed like a lot longer than that,” he joked and I stuck my tongue out at him, “Do I have to tickle you again?”
“No!” I yelled and sprang up and off the couch, “No tickle!”
“Oh really?” he questioned and smirked heavily at me as he started to stand up.
“Nicholas, don’t you dare,” I warned him and he laughed before edging his way toward me, “I will scream! I swear that I will!”
“Not if I silence you first!” he laughed before lunging at me.
“You’re a stalker!” I screamed before running down the hallway of his small apartment and into the bathroom.
“Only to you babe!” he called after me and I smiled as I locked the door.

********

“So you just left?” I asked as we walked down the beach.
“I go back for holidays sometimes but besides that yeah, basically,” he sighed, “My family and I were always close but…I don’t know…just forget it, it’s stupid.”
“You can tell me anything, just so you know. Whatever you tell me stays between us,” I assured him and he smiled as the sunset reflected off of the water and onto his face.
“And Mollie, don’t forget Mollie,” he teased me and I chuckled.
“Mollie and I do keep some things from each other,” I replied and he rolled his eyes, “Alright, we’re complete open books with each other, happy?”
“Extremely,” he replied with sarcasm dripping off of every syllable.
“Don’t even start with me,” I warned him and waggled my pointer finger at him threateningly.
“What’s that?” he questioned and pointed at my ring finger in an attempt to change the subject.
“Oh…nothing,” I lied and pulled down my sleeve over my hand, “It’s just…it’s…you’ll think it’s stupid.”
“You can tell me anything, just so you know. Whatever you tell me stays between us,” he mimicked me and I laughed lightly before looking down at my bare feet as they moved slowly across the wet sand.
“It’s my Purity Ring,” I answered after a few moments of silence and nodded to myself, “I’m not ashamed of it, just so we can get that straight. I just don’t make a habit out of letting guys know I wear one.”
“Why not?” he probed.
“They usually make fun of me for it,” I tried to laugh out but I could tell that he sensed the disappointment in my voice, “No one really understands it besides Mollie.”
“Well, just so you know,” he mimicked me lightly again and I smiled, “I won’t make fun of you and I definitely do not think it’s stupid.”
He held up his left hand for me to see and I smiled when I caught a glimpse of the small silver band on his left hand.
“I’m different,” he whispered.
“Yeah, yeah you are,” I sighed, “And in the best possible way.”
“It’s mutual,” he chuckled and gently wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

Flash forward, and we're takin' on the world together
And there's a drawer of my things at your place
You learn my secrets and figure out why I'm guarded
You say we'll never make my parents' mistakes

“Where are you?” Mollie demanded and I rubbed the eye bogies out of the corners of my eyes as Nick’s rhythmic breathing continued next to me, “You never came home last night and you never sent me a text saying whether or not you were staying at Nick’s! I was worried sick!”
“I’m sorry babe, we were busy,” I whispered and she sighed heavily, “We were talking about some really deep stuff last night.”
“By really deep…you mean..”
“I told him,” I finished her sentence for her and tried to unwrap Nick’s arm from around my waist, “I told him all about my parents.”
“Seriously?” she asked with a hint of non-belief in her voice.
“She did, now go away,” Nick said snatching the phone away from me gently and then hung it up, “I get that she worries about you but sometimes…”
“You’d do the same thing,” I reminded him and he smiled before tightening the grip that he had on me, the same one that I had been trying to loosen so I could get up, “Can I please get up?”
“Not until we clarify some things Keyla,” he sighed into my hair and then lifted his head up so that we were face to face, “Something that you said last night has been bothering me.”
“What would that be?” I asked nervously.
“About how no one has ever cared about you enough to stick around,” he answered and I bit my lip, “I just want you to know…I just want you to know that I care and I plan on sticking around for as long as you’re willing to put up with me.”
“Well Mr. Jonas…it looks like you’re going to be around for quite some time then,” I assured him and he smiled before leaning over and pressing his lips to mine.
“That sounds perfect to me,” he whispered against my lips and I smiled before finally managing to loosen his grip, “Where are you going?”
“If I don’t get back to the apartment soon then Mollie’s going to either shot me or you, whoever she sees first most likely,” I answered as I opened the top drawer of his dresser.
“I’ll fight her for you, you’re definitely worth it,” he teased and I rolled me eyes lightly as I pulled out a pair of shorts and a tank top, “Do you need me to drive you home?”
“Nah, I can walk, it’s not that far,” I assured him as walked out of his bedroom and across the hall to the bathroom.
“Since when are you willing to walk anywhere?” he called and I rolled my eyes as I pulled off my T-shirt from the day before.
“Since you have to go to work this morning,” I laughed and I visualized him rolling his eyes at me from his room.
“I could drop you off on my way over,” he protested and I smiled at his selfless, caring manner as I pulled the last of my clothes on.
“Only if it’s not too much trouble,” I caved and opened the door back up again to see him taking out his work clothes from his closet.
“Not at all, your apartment is on the way,” he assured me and smiled in my direction as I threw my jeans and T-shirt into his hamper and then collapse onto the bed again.

But we got bills to pay
We got nothin' figured out
When it was hard to take
Yes, yes
This is what I thought about:
Do you remember, we were sittin' there, by the water?
You put your arm around me for the first time
You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter
You are the best thing that's ever been mine

“Mail call,” I yelled as I walked into the apartment and Nick looked up from the box he was unloading.
“Anything important looking?” he questioned as I riffled through the stack and closed the door behind me.
“Just bills,” I answered and he sighed deeply before he turned back to the box of items he was rummaging through.
“Where do you want these?” he asked and pulled out a few nick knacks that Mollie and I had bought for a laugh.
“Anywhere you think will suffice is fine, I’m not picky,” I reminded him and he smiled before turning his back to me and reaching up to place them on the top self of the bookshelf, “Can you give me a ride tomorrow, before you have to go to work that is?”
“Where do you have to go?”
“I have a job interview at a barn right outside of town,” I replied and set the mail down on the kitchen counter before preying open a new box and looking inside to see that it was full of clothes, “They said that my type of experience is exactly what they need.”
“How are you going to get home?”
“I’ll borrow a horse,” I joked and laughed aloud at my own joke.
“I’m serious Keyla, I can’t take off of work to come and get you and I need the car to make deliveries during the dinner rush,” he snapped at me and I pursed my lips before picking up the box and heading down the hall, “Keyla, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to-”
“I can get Mollie to take me up, it’s no big deal,” I assured him and set the box down roughly, “she can just hang out while I have the interview and then give me a ride back.”
“Keyla,” Nick sighed as he appeared in the doorway but I waved him off and started unpacking my clothes and putting them into the closet Nick had managed to clear for me.

Do you remember all the city lights on the water?
You saw me start to believe for the first time
You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter
You are the best thing that's ever been mine

“I’m sorry for snapping at you like that,” he whispered and took my face in his hands, forcing me to stop moving towards the closest in the process, “It was uncalled for. I’m just stressed out right now and I’m sorry.”
“I know,” I said and let myself be overcome by his dark brown eyes, “That’s why I want this job, so I can help you.”
“I appreciate the thought,” he chuckled, “But we’re fine. We just have to be careful that’s all.”
“Do you really expect me to let you earn all the bacon just so I can stay here and cook it?” I teased him and his small chuckle grew into a round of laughter, “I didn’t think so!”
“You’re insane,” he stated lovingly as he pulled me into a tight embrace.
“Yeah yeah, that’s what they keep telling me,” I sighed into his chest and his lips pressed against my forehead lightly.

Oh, oh, oh, oh

And I remember that fight, two-thirty AM
You said everything was slipping right out of our hands
I ran out, crying, and you followed me out into the street

Braced myself for the goodbye, cause that's all I've ever known
Then, you took me by surprise
You said, "I'll never leave you alone."

You said, "I remember how we felt, sitting by the water.
And every time I look at you, it's like the first time.
I fell in love with a careless man's careful daughter.
She is the best thing that's ever been mine."

“I don’t know why you’re making such a big deal out of this!” I yelled and he groaned loudly, “Mollie and I wanted to celebrate me getting the job so we went out for a bit!”
“Until two in the morning Keyla? Do you know what kind of people celebrate at two in the morning?” he asked and stared at me intently, “Not the kind that invite you in for tea and let you go without harm that’s for sure.”
“That’s a stereotype,” I scoffed, “and a stupid one at that.”
“Are you saying that I’m stupid?” he asked and I groaned just as loudly as he had moments before.
“I’m not calling you anything! I’m just trying to making a point!” I said irritably and went to leave the room.
“Where are you going?” he demanded and I stopped in the doorway and looked over my shoulder.
“I’m going to go hook up with a rapist, that’s what you expect me to do at this point at night isn’t it,” I spat and shot him one last look before heading for the front door.
“Keyla!” he yelled after me with an appalled, surprised, and taken back tone to his voice.
“What?!” I practically screamed and turned around to see him staring after me from the doorway to the bedroom, “What do you want?”
“I’ll tell you what I don’t want, and that’s for you to get hurt. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you walk out that door, you’re bound to get hurt in one shape or form.”
“I’m getting hurt here,” I scoffed and tried to fight back the tears that were prickling my eyes, “I just…I need to get out for awhile. I’ll be back.”
“Ugh! Why is this happening?!” he lashed out and hit the wall, “It’s like it’s all slipping away!”
My breath caught dramatically in my throat and I let the tears flow free as I quickly backed up towards the door. His eyes shifted to the sudden movement and a look of horror crossed his face as he realized what he had just said. He opened his mouth to speak but before he could I was out the door, down the hallway of the apartment building, and eventually outside.
“Keyla, wait up!” Nick called out desperately and I stopped mindlessly in the middle of the abandoned street.
“What?” I cried out and tried to block out what I knew was coming.
“Come here,” he pleaded and opened his arms as he slowly approached me, “Just please come here. I don’t know if I could stand to you lose you and I promise to never leave you alone if you just please don’t give up on me. Just please, come here.”
I caved involuntarily and nearly knocked him over with the force of my hug.
“Do you remember where it all began?” he whispered in my ear as he rubbed my back, “Where we began? Do you remember the beach? Because that’s where it all started for me and I promise you, it’ll never end for me.”

You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter
You are the best thing that's ever been mine

Do you believe it?
We're gonna make it now
And I can see it

I can see it now

“Congratulations mommy,” Mollie teased as she slipped through the doorway of my hospital room.
“Shut up,” I chuckled and looked over at Nick as he slept silently in the chair next to me.
“So where is the little cutie?” she asked and her eyes lit up at the thought of her new ‘nephew’.
“He’s getting looked over by the nurse,” I answered and she nodded before gently sitting down on the edge of my bed.
“So how’s it feel? Being a mother that is?” she probed and I shrugged, “Still too new to tell I guess.”
I nodded silently and looked at Nick again before glimpsing down at the wedding band that was wrapped around my left ring finger.
“It’s your one year today, isn’t it?” Mollie asked.
“It’s perfect isn’t it? Our first child is born on our one year wedding anniversary,” I breathed out and she slipped her hand into mine before giving it a squeeze, “It all worked out after all.”
“Of course it did, you had me leading you to him,” she teased and I stuck my tongue out at her lazily.
“Oh Mrs. Jonas, I have a special delivery for you,” Nurse Sanders coed as she pushed through the door with Lucas in her arms, “He’s been crying for you all day.”
“Has he?” I asked doubtfully and she smiled assuringly before sliding him into my arms and taking a step back.
Lucas took hold of a small strand of my hair and pulled lightly causing me to laugh. He was even more adorable then I could have imagined.
“Well I have to get going. I just stopped by on my way to class,” Mollie sighed after looking at the clock and I nodded without taking my eyes off of Lucas, “Oh, and Keyl.”
“Yeah?” I questioned and looked up to see her standing in the doorway.
“You’re welcome,” she sang and I smiled gratefully at her before she left the room with Nurse Sanders.
“Is everything okay?” Nick mumbled as he began to wake up.
“Everything’s perfect,” I sighed and looked back down at my son as my husband stretched out my arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Birthday Keyla dearest! I loves you!