Catastrophic Accidents

002.

I was all alone in the dark. I was utterly deaf and blind. I couldn’t smell or taste anything. Only the claustrophobic feeling of the darkness closing in me existed. I tried to breathe, to calm myself. It was no use.

Suddenly I heard something.

KA-THUMP!

It was the most frightening noise I ever heard!

KA-THUMP!

The dreadful noise only increased in volume. It was near deafening. It sounded like a heartbeat. I frantically looked about in the dark to get any sight of where the noise came from.

KA-THUMP!

I jumped in fright at the sight before me. It was of a beating heart. But it was charred and you could see the very embers moving inside the black abomination. A strong smell of gasoline wafted up to my nostrils, making my nose want to shrivel up.

KA-THUMP!

I saw as it moved along with the beating noise. I could not tear my eyes away from the sight. From what I figured, it was the heart of the woman who died on my hands.

KA-THUMP!

It wouldn’t silence, no matter how much I willed it to.

KA-THUMP!

It seemed to do the opposite; it only beat faster and faster.

KA-THUMP!
KA-THUMP!
KA-THUMP!


I woke up in cold sweat. I panted, the residue of the horrific dream still floating around. I could feel my hair from my back stand on end. I could feel something around in the room.
Guilt. Shame.

They hung heavy in the air, like the darkest catacombs in the oldest mausoleums. The sinking feeling stole the light from the confined bedroom.

I could hear the echoes of the beating heart. It was just a dream. But why is it deceiving my very ears? I could hear it, as real as it was in the dream. I must have imagined it.

But I could hear it louder. It seemed as it came from below the floorboards. It amplified the memory of the terrible crash. It reminded me of how I should have slowed down. I should have kept a clear head. I should have paid attention. It felt like I had murdered my love. I slaughtered her by my foolishness.

I wanted to condemn myself for what I had done.

The heartbeat was persistent. My nails scrabbled around that one loose floorboard. Prying open the floorboard, I found nothing. I kept prying open the floorboards until there was a great gaping hole. It was darker than the room around me. I still found nothing.

The heart boldly beat. Its taunts were never ending. I curled upon the cold floor, right next to the deep black pit which matched my chest where my heart used to be. I waited for the guilt to consume me, to drive me over the edge.