A Modern Jack and Jill

Finale

A week and three days later, Sandrine was at the porcelain pot dumping out her stomach and then some. They went back to California, to pack for their honeymoon.

“Babe, you okay?”

“Yeah, just stressed or something.” She flushed the toilet then walked out, “Ready for today?”

“Yup, bag’s packed, Rhett’s all set, and new clothes are ready.”

“Okay, lets go.” Sandrine piped.

Matt, herself, Zacky, Jimmy, Brian, and Johnny hopped on a plane to Hawaii.

They were going on their honeymoon but the guys were going with then because they had to do a few concerts to ‘keep the fans at bay’. As Matt had put it.

They stayed there for about three weeks and returned to California. Sandrine still hadn’t been her best but tried to hide it. Matt stayed with her for a while longer but of course, as most rock star life styles go, they had to leave and tour for a while.

Quicker than usual another month went by and Sandrine hadn’t gotten her monthly dose of PMS. She started to think. As soon as she could, Sandrine asked Antoinette to go out and buy a pregnancy test. She did as asked; when Sandrine got it she rushed into the bathroom and tried it.

Fifteen minutes later, the light turned blue, Sandrine was pregnant. She rushed to the phone and thought to call Matt, but then thought twice about it. She wanted to see his reaction, would his face light up or would he look scared. What would he do? She still wanted to know so she hung up the phone and told Antoinette. They celebrated with bit chocolate milkshakes.

After yet another two months went by, the boys finally came home and found out. Matt’s face did light up; actually he picked her up and twirled her about the room. The rest of the guys congratulated them and Johnny decided they should hold a baby shower. They planned it the next day with Sharon’s help. The shower was huge and they got tons of baby clothes, almost enough to clothe twins. Although Sandrine had yet to go to the doctor and find out if it was a boy or girl. The day after the shower, Sandrine being five and a half months along was like a balloon. Matt took her to the doctors.

The doctor had said that the babies were fine and that she was having twins, one boy, one girl. Matt had scheduled a dozen more appointments having Antoinette bring Sandrine there.

Soon enough it was Sandrine’s little trip to the hospital and after four hours out popped Scott and Angel. Sadly, Matt wasn’t there of the twin’s birth. He didn’t come home for another month. When he did show up, he was piss drunk.

Sandrine asked, “Where’ve you been?”

“Wha’s it look like?” he yelled.

“Quiet! Scott and Angel are in their cradles and are trying to sleep.Yes, if you can see through your drunken haze, your children were born. That’s also why I can see my feet now.” From being so bold, Sandrine warned a bright red hand print upon her face.

“Watch you’re your mouth, bitch. Who’s to say they are even mine?”

“How dare you! If you think I will stand for this, you are dead wrong.”

This time, instead of a back hand across the face, she received a curled fist to the stomach.

“You threaten to leave me, I swear, I will hunt you down.”

“Why? So you can take your kids back? You didn’t even know their names, no never mind that they were even born.”

“When were they born?”

“April 14”

“Thanks.” He threw his punch to her face, hitting her between the eyes, knocking her down. Matt kicked at her sides, hurting her, degrading her.

Sandrine was in silent tears, realizing that she had brought that upon herself. She prayed for him to stop and he did, quicker than she expected.

He grumbled, “Go to our room. I’ll be right there.”

Sandrine picked herself up off the floor and went to their room. Matt stumbled over to the twin’s room to look at his month year old children. Sandrine was afraid that in Matt’s stupor he would accidentally knock over one of the cradles. Then all hell would break loose. Lucky enough, she didn’t hear any loud crashes, only the sound of Matt’s husky voice singing Sweet child o Mine. just as Johnny predicted.

Sandrine figured Matt would sit with the children till they fell asleep, so she grabbed pen and paper to write something. A poem, to be politically correct. She was speaking the verses of her poem.

Can anyone tell me what happens
When broken glass hits water?
You are the razor I can’t put down
You are the pill I can’t stop taking
You are the drug I can’t quit.
You’re the liquor that poisons my blood
You run straight through my veins
Right to my heart
Now I know why you hate to be apart.
I’m the hand that hits too hard
I’m the lips that kiss to light
If at all
It’s my mouth that belittles your every word
It’s my hand that breaks your heart
It’s my voice that ruins your life
It’s my eyes you wake up screaming to
It’s my hair that blinds your vision
It’s my heel that is suffocating you
It’s my name that makes your stomach churn
It’s my finger that’s on your trigger.
You are my problem that won’t leave.
Why won’t you leave me alone?

As Sandrine practically asked herself that question Matt partially sober stumbled into the room.

Darling it’s because I am you.” Matt answered Sandrine’s question. He had overheard the whole poem, realizing it was about them.

Sandrine put her hand to her lips, astonished at how true of the answer Matt had given her really way. She wrote down the exact words Matt had said then whispered the last stanza.

“Can anyone tell me what happens
When broken glass hits black water?”


Sandrine returned her paper and pen to the bed stand and curled into a ball. Matt fell onto his side of the bed and snored his way to Chinatown.

That’s how it went for the next 4 years; Matt was out, only bringing Sandrine along to make her look sociable, but would degrade and belittle her after. He would pound into her head that she was nothing without him and if she ever left, he would find her, but more over he would take her children away. There she sat, being little Miss house wife, in all truth her children were the only thing that kept her going.

One day Matt did come home sober to take Scott and Angel to the park. He wanted her to stay home and cook dinner, ‘the boys were coming over.’ she stayed there, starting up the steaks and mashed potatoes, then cleaning up. A knock came at the door, she walked over and answered it. The guest was Brian.

“Hello.” She almost asked him skeptically.

“Hey Sandi. How are you?”

“I’m okay, and you?”

“I’m good.” Sandrine had moved away from the entrance allowing Brian to enter,

“It’s just, why have you stayed with Matt? He doesn’t treat you right. You deserve better.”

“And exactly who will give me this better shot, better chance at life?”

“Anyone. Anybody.”

“I suppose you think you could be that ultimate better?”

“Yeah, well, maybe. I think so, thought so.”

Sandrine put her hand upon his cheek admiringly, “Brian, what happened is done. Over. There’s nothing left. There’s nothing for me except my duty and children, including old Rhett.”

Whom had come around a corner. Sandi looked at her aged dog, then back to Brian, she leaned in and kissed him. Just as quick as it came, she leaned away, continuing with supper.

Not a while after, Matt and the twins came home, as did the rest of the band following shortly after. They all sat down for dinner, as usual it was always entertaining. After everyone finished, Sandrine went to work with the dishes, and the rest of them went outside to play tag.

She finished just as the sun was setting. She went up to Matt and her room, looking out at her babies, husband and friends all having fun. She tried to remember the last time she had fun, obviously it was a long time ago. It dawned on her, “I’m doomed. My life is nothing, just wasted space. I’m locked in a prison and can’t get out. My god, Yasmine was right.”

~So that dear reader, is the take of Sandrine Beech. She did not commit suicide, which would be all too poetic of her. Her children grew up. Matt finally became her ‘husband’ by staying home and beating her every once in a while, but life went on.

“Living the high life always comes with a deadly price.”

Jack and Jill went up the hill
to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown
and Jill came tumbling
a-fter