‹ Prequel: Second Chances
Status: On hiatus

Only Time Will Tell

In This Together

Sitting in the waiting room, his hand holding Janey's in his lap, Brian tried to occupy his mind with the health posters that covered the walls. His eyes wandered however, to the young woman sitting opposite them, a new born infant cradled in her arms. Brian smiled sadly to himself, as he pictured Janey being the one in such a position. Over the last few weeks, Brian's hopes that Janey was indeed pregnant faded a little bit more with each negative test she did. He had prayed that the first one he had found when he had come home was a false negative, but it was now very clear that wasn't the case.

Now he was finding that the need to be a father was becoming less, and the need to finding out what was wrong with Janey was becoming greater. So many scenarios had run through Brian's head lately that he was sure he was building it up to be something a lot worse than it actually was. Yet, until they had some answers from the doctor, Brian knew his fears wouldn't subside.

"Janey, Dr.Sommers will see you now."

Janey and Brian both looked up, and nodded at the young woman who had called her. Janey looked at Brian as he stood with her.

"We're in this together baby," he whispered. 

Dr.Sommers glanced up from her desk as the couple entered the room.

"Janey...and Brian, good to see you both. Please, take a seat," she stated, indicating to the chairs opposite her. "So, what seems to be the problem?" she asked.

Janey sat and explained what she had been experiencing the past few weeks, how they were trying for a baby, and how all of the symptoms had started not long after she had made the decision to stop taking the pill. 

"So let me see, night sweats, hot flashes, tiredness...any nausea or change in your appetite?" Dr.Sommers asked.

Brian glanced at Janey as she shook her head.

"No, nothing like that, just what I've told you," Janey answered.

"Ok, and you say that all pregnancy tests have come back negative. Hmmm, well unless there's been a dramatic drop in your protein levels and that's what may be hindering the results, I think it would be safe to assume those tests are correct. However, I want to do an ultra sound, just to make sure, and also to check for anything that may be causing the symptoms."

"Like what?" Brian asked quietly, his grip on Janey's hand tightening.

"Obstructions in the fallopian tubes, ovarian cysts...they can all have an affect on a woman's body. I just want to rule those possibilities out before I decide on any further tests. But, if it is either of those, they can be dealt with easily, and then there should be no stopping you both gracing the world with a brood of baby Haners," Dr.Sommers assured him with a smile. 

"Now Janey, if you'd just like to make yourself comfortable on the bed, I'll have the ultra sound brought through."

Janey settled herself on the bed in the corner of the room, Brian still holding her hand as he took the seat next to the bed. He raised her hand to his lips, grazing her knuckles with a gentle kiss, unable to hide the worry that was etched on his handsome face. 

"Ok, now as I'm sure you're aware, this will be a little cold," Dr.Sommers pointed out as she squeezed the ice cold gel on Janey's stomach. Brian chuckled as Janey jumped a little.

They both watched the doctor intently as she ran the device over Janey's stomach, studying the screen for any signs of what was causing Janey's problems. After a few minutes, she turned the screen round for both of them to see. 

"Now, as we had already suspected, you're not pregnant....I'm sorry," she told them with a sympathetic look. "However, as you can see her,e" she indicated to points on the screen "there doesn't appear to be any obstructions, or any abnormalities around the ovaries as far as I can tell."

"Thank god," Brian whispered. 

"What this does mean though is that I would like to run a series of blood tests to see if we can come up with any answers that way," Dr.Sommers added.

"Do you have any ideas as to what you might be looking for?" Brian asked.

"There are few things, hormone levels and such are the main things I want to look for, plus of course any underlying health issues that neither of you may be aware of. Are you ok to have have the tests done now?" she asked.

"Of course," Janey replied "the sooner we know what's wrong, the better."

Brian sat and watched as Janey took a seat, and prepared herself to have her bloods taken. He whinced as she sat calmly as the needle entered her arm, his eyes widening a little at the amount of the red liquid Dr.Sommers appeared to be extracting. Placing a cotton swab over the small wound, Dr.Sommers was finished.

"How long til we get the results?" Brian enquired.

Dr.Sommers smiled at how Brian was the one asking all the questions, it wasn't something she saw every day with couples.

"They will take a couple of days, no longer."

"Oh, it's just that I'm flying out on tour again tomorrow....I guess I just wanted peace of mind before I left," Brian admitted.

"I'm sorry Brian, if I could work miracles I'd try to get them done quicker, but a couple of days isn't that long."

Janey stood up and thanked the doctor for her time.

"Make another appointment on your way out, and I'll see you in a couple of days. And Janey...look after yourself and take things easy if need be ok?"

Janey smiled and nodded, reaching once more for Brian's hand as they left the office. After making her appointment, they walked back to the car in silence. Brian sat in the drivers seat for a moment, looking thoughtful.

"You will call me as soon as you know won't you?" he asked quietly.

"Of course I will you fool....did you really think I'd wait til I fly out in a couple of weeks time to tell you?"

"No...I just...I hate knowing that I'm not going to be with you when you find out that's all....I'm scared Janey," he whispered. "If anything happens to you...I don't know what I'm gonna do."

Janey reached over and touched his cheek.

"It's going to be fine..you'll see." she promised him, hoping she sounded as though she believed in her own words.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always, huge thanks for your comments :) xx