‹ Prequel: Second Chances
Status: On hiatus

Only Time Will Tell

The Hand Life Deals You.

"I'm coming home."

Janey sighed deeply, resting her head against the back of the passenger seat as her mother drove, heading towards CHOC. She should have known this would be Brian's reaction, but she wasn't going to allow it to happen. Closing her green eyes momentarily, still trying to get her own thoughts around the diagnosis Dr.Sommers had given her, Janey inhaled a little before answering.

"B, I'm not dying, there's no need for you to come home. Mom's taking me over to CHOC, I'm going to speak to McKinley about moving my vacation time up, and if he agrees, I'll be on the first available flight out to join you. It's your first show tonight, I don't want you to quit the tour because of this." 

"And if he doesn't let you take the time now?" Brian asked.

"Then he can take my job and shove it up his ass," Janey answered, managing a smile.

"You'd never quit babygirl," Brian chuckled.

"Right now, anything is possible B. I'll call you when I know what's happening....and B, don't take this out on the guys ok?"

"I won't. I love you."

"I love you too."

Janey hung up, placing her phone back in her purse, continuing to gaze out of the window at the scenery that flashed past them.

"How is he?" Madeline Sanders enquired softly, concentrating on the road in front of her.

"Confused, wanting to drop everything and come home....it's going to take a while to sink in I guess."

"And you sweetie, how you holding up?" 

Janey raised her head from the cold glass of the window, giving her mother a sad smile.

"I really don't know right now mom. It's just not something I'd comprehended," she admitted quietly.

Janey felt as though her head was spinning off in all directions. The news she had recieved from Dr.Sommers wasn't something she had expected, and Janey felt worse for not having realised just what was actually wrong with her. Dr.Sommers however, had assured her that unless it was something she had been accutely aware of, then Janey had no reason to have even suspected it. As Madeline brought the car to a halt in the parking lot, she reached over and gave her daughter's hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Want me to come in with you?"

Janey shook her head no and sighed.

"No, thanks anyway mom. I won't be long."

Madeline could do no more than watch as Janey made her way towards the building, saying a silent prayer in the hope that Janey would be strong enough to deal with the hand life had dealt her.

*******************************************************

Janey twisted her hands nervously as she sat in McKinley's office waiting for him to join her. She was unsure why the feeling was washing over her, she couldn't think of any reason why Mckinley would deny her the time off now, but given the way her luck appeared to be running today Janey knew anything was possible. Jumping slightly as the door opened, Janey turned her head a little, a weak smile gracing her lips as McKinley sat opposite her behind his desk.

"Sorry to keep you waiting Janey...now, what's up?"

Inhaling deeply, Janey's green eyes focused on the man in front of her whilst she prepared herself to speak.

"I know this is a little short notice, but I need to know if there's any chance I can bring my vacation time forward...even just a week of it would be ok. Only problem is that I would like it to be as soon as you could possibly allow."

McKinley quirked an eyebrow at Janey's request, her heart sinking a little as she felt an air of denial about him.

"That may be a little problematic right now, unless of course it's something of urgency that requires you to be off," McKinley told her. "Care to fill me in?"

Janey's gaze drifted down to her hands that shook in her lap.

"I know you're not aware of this, but Brian and I have been trying for a baby. However, the past few weeks, I've really not been feeling myself, but I'm not pregnant. I've been to my doctor this week and she ran a few tests, and I got the results today......" Janey trailed off, raising her eyes to once more meet those of the man opposite her.

"I have to have some more tests just to confirm that the diagnosis is correct, but apparently I have Premature Ovarian Failure. I called Brian and he wanted to leave the tour he's only just started, which of course I can't let him do.....but right now, I feel as though I need to be with my husband," Janey ended, her voice barely audible. 

Janey watched as the stern expression on Neil McKinley's face softened to one of complete sympathy as he sat forward in his seat, arms resting on the desk.

"Oh Janey, I'm so sorry. You had no idea before?"

Janey shook her head.

"No, Dr.Sommers seems to think that my being on the pill was keeping my hormone levels just about enough for me not to have any concerns, but the moment I stopped taking it, everything just seemed to kick in."

"You're aware that there are options for you and Brian don't you...and that there is a small percentage of women who have POF that actually manage to concieve naturally, because their monthly cycles come and go...albeit a little irregular."

Janey smiled at his words of hope.

"Dr.McKinley, I have every bit of literature on this Dr.Sommers had to offer...so I can at least be well informed on just what we can do, and what may happen."

McKinley returned Janey's smile with one of his own. 

"Go home, pack a bag, book a flight and go see that husband of yours...and we'll see you back here Monday week....how does that sound?" 

Relief rushed through Janey's very being at the words and gesture.

"That sounds great...thank you so much," she murmured, standing up. "I'll see you Monday week," she added making for the door.

"Oh and Janey....just look after yourself ok?" McKinley told her.

Janey nodded and smiled, shutting the door quietly behind her as she stepped back into the corridor. Heading back towards the entrance of the building she found her mother chatting with Rhonda.

"Well?" Madeline asked.

"I need to book a flight when we get home," Janey told her softly, wanting nothing more than to be with Brian as soon as she possibly could. Janey just prayed this was one little bump in the road they would be able to overcome together.
♠ ♠ ♠
As always thanks for the comments :)

Just a quick note, I have received a few messages and comments lately about not updating as often as I was. I just thought I should clear a couple of things up. I work, and am also a single parent, and whilst I endeavour to update as often as possible, I am not always able to do so. All I ask is for a little patience and understanding. I appreciate every one of my readers and commenters,. but I don't like to be made to feel as though I should be updating on demand.

Thanks so much for understanding

Andie xx