‹ Prequel: Second Chances
Status: On hiatus

Only Time Will Tell

Bathroom Revelations

Casting a hurried look in her mother's direction, Janey couldn't help but wonder if Madeline was experiencing the same feeling of discomfort that she was at that moment. Standing side by side, mother and daughter appeared to be almost frozen in the headlights as four pairs of eyes looked on at them somewhat solemnly. Two of the faces Janey had expected to see, although she had anticipated their expressions to be somewhat more joyful. The other two had come as a surprise, but she had felt a strange sense of relief at seeing them there.However, there was also an undercurrent of dread that swept through her as she figured that whatever she was about to hear wasn't exactly going to be something she would relish. As they remained static in the archway of Mikki's lounge, the joke they had been sharing upon entering the house having quickly dissolved at the sight that greeted them, Janey knew someone was going to have to attempt to speak to break the ear shattering silence within the room.

"Now,call me crazy," Janey began, "but I can't help but feel as though I am about to face the Spanish Inquisition."

Glances passed between the four who sat in front of her and Madeline, each of them seeming to falter and not wanting to be the first one to speak. Crossing her arms as she leaned against the wall, Janey found that she was finding the continuing silence a little aggrivating.

"Did you want me to leave, then come back in a bit, give you guys some time to actually find your voices?" she threw at them.

Mikki was the first to crack.

"Janey, we think there's something you need to know," she stated, her voice tinged with trepidation. "Leanna went to see Val today,and whilst she was there, she overheard...."

"Val's invited Michelle to join us all on the road for Thanksgiving!" Leanna cried, obviously not able to keep the news to herself any longer. 

Janey managed to keep the smile she could feel twitching at the corner of her lips under control, wondering if she should string this out a little further, make them all sweat a little bit longer. Sensing what her daughter probably had in mind, Madeline gently nudged her daughter with her elbow, as if to warn her not to be so cruel. Standing a little straighter, Janey allowed the smile to break free. 

"I know," she admitted, her tone matter of fact and straight to the point. "Brian called me a little earlier. Valary figured she had better warn Matt what was going on. Apparently his ranting was that loud it's probably safe to say that the entire state of Pennsylvania are aware that Michelle will be there."

"You don't seem particularly bothered by this," Lacey finally piped up from her corner of the couch.

Janey smiled at her and shook her head.

"Honey, being outraged and protesting loudly isn't going to make the situation go away, Michelle will be there regardless. Sure, Brian and I both agree that it's not ideal, and that Val maybe should have thought it all through a little more carefully, but there really is no point in having a tantrum like a pair of spoilt brats over it. Brian's just decided that he'll be able to find things to do to stay out of her way for the most part, and that he'll be polite when the occassion sees fit." 

Gena played with the hem of her top as she eyed Janey briefly.

"But this does now mean you're going to be there for Thanksgiving right?" she asked, her eyes almost pleading with Janey for a positive response.

"No, it really doesn't." Janey answered.

Leana looked at her friend in horror.

"Lea, what kind of signal is that gonna send out? I can't be there because of work, but if I go trying to my hardest to get out there because I now know his ex-girlfriend is going to be there, he's gonna get to thinking that I don't trust him."

Janey took a moment to look at each of her friends, knowing that she could never ask for a better group of people to be in her life. Yet despite their concern, she needed each of them to understand. 

"We all know Brian's suceeded in making some pretty dubious choices in the past, but the bottom line is that in spite all of that, I trust my husband. I trust him to not to be tempted, I trust him to turn away should someone attempt to lure him into something. If I didn't, I would never have married him. And all I ask is that each of you do the same, and come to realise that he is not the same man he was. And if I'm wrong...then you have my full permission to detach his balls in the most painful manner possible and send them to me to give to Pinkly to play with," she added with a smirk. "However, I don't think such a need will arise."

"With Matt there I don't think there would be anything left of his balls," Gena stated, grinning.

Janey laughed, knowing Gena made a good point.

"Anyway, I do believe we have a bar over in Fullerton waiting for us.....you two are joining us right?" she asked Lacey and Gena. 

"Well..we didn't like to assume..." Lacey began.

Janey rolled her eyes.

"You both look fine,. now c'mon! Mom's here to take care of Elijah, Mikki over there has been practically chomping at the bit for almost a week now to get out of the house for an evening....and I've really missed you pair of fools this past couple of weeks. I want us to just put everything behind us and get back to how we were. Okay?"

Smiling as the pair nodded in agreement, Janey felt relieved that maybe things were halfway to getting back to normal.

Three hours later, and Leana was feeling more than a little drunk. Feeling that a trip to the bathroom was in order, she grabbed hold of Gena and dragged her off in the right direction.

"You okay Lea?" Gena enquired, loud enough to be heard over the music.

"Mmhmm, just a little wobbly is all" Leana replied, not sure if she liked the way her stomach seemed to lurch at that moment.

"C'mon, lets get you in there quick," Gena stated, not missing the way Leana suddenly paled. 

After a few minutes of waiting, the bathroom seemed to clear a little, and Gena managed to settle herself and Leana in a stall. Gently rubbing Leana's back as she positioned her head over the bowl, Gena tried her best to get comfortable in the confined space.

"How you feeling sweetie?" she asked softly, smiling as Leana responded with a simple shrug. 

The click of heels on the tiled floor were nothing to capture Gena's attention, but the voices that went with them certainly did.

"So Mich, what's this Val was telling me about you flying out with her to join the guys for Thanksgiving?"

The owner of the voice Gena couldn't quite place entered a stall a couple down from she and Leana were. Leana looked up at Gena, her face paler than before. 

"Did you know they were gonna be here?" she mouthed. Gena shook her head, she had been completely clueless as to what Val's plans for the evening were.

"Yeah, I spoke to her earlier, told her all about me and Kris and being the wonderful sister she is, she suggested I join them all," Michelle replied, sounding surprisingly upbeat for someone whose relationship had just ended.

"Isn't that going to be a little awkward, what with Brian and his wife being there?"

"Hell no! Janey's got to work, which makes it all the better!"

Leana grabbed Gena's hand, squeezing it tightly as she tried to supress the heaving sensation that was sweeping over her. The pair remained silent, as they strained to hear the conversation over the sound of a toilet being flushed.

"Everyone knows Haner can't keep it in his pants, so I'm sure with a little gentle persuasion, I can get back what's rightfully mine!" Michelle declared with a giggle.

The contents of Leana's stomach couldn't hold back any longer, the sound of her wretching bringing a swift exit from Michelle and her friend.

"Shit!" Gena hissed. Valary's actions had opened up a whole big can of worms, and they needed to end it, fast.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all so much for the comments. And to those of you who believe Brian may actually be tempted, let's just say....you know what, all will be revealed soon, you'll just have to keep reading to find out ;) xx