‹ Prequel: Second Chances
Status: On hiatus

Only Time Will Tell

Get Over It

Johnny stood in the middle of Mikki and Jason's lounge, a bunch of blue and silver balloons firmly in his grip as he tried to figure out just how the hell he was supposed to get them up in the corner of the room. He knew that ordinarily a ladder of some descripition would be ideal for the job in hand, but it had transpired that Jason only possessed the one, and Zacky was currently occupying that as he hung a huge banner on the outside of the house, ready to welcome Mikki and baby Elijah home from the hospital. 

"Wanna little help there squirt?" 

Jimmy stood beside Johnny, beer in hand, surveying the same corner of the room as his friend. Johnny sighed.

"Think I need a chair," he mumbled. Jimmy placed his beer down on the coffee table.

"No need," he stated, grabbing hold of Johnny and hoisting him up in the air.

"Rev...put me the fuck down!" Johnny yelled, his legs kicking out in all directions.

"I'll fucking drop you in a minute shortshit if you don't stop kicking me in the chest! Now put the fucking pin in the wall," Jimmy mumbled as he guided Johnny in the right direction, waivering slightly.

"Jimmy!" Leana yelled just as Johnny managed to pin the balloons to the wall. 

The sound of his girlfriend's voice brought about the inevitable loss of balance, both drummer and bass player landing in an undignified heap on the floor. 

"What the hell were you doing?" Leana demanded.

"I was helping Seward out that was all," Jimmy groaned, pushing Johnny off of him, but making no attempt to get up. 

"Are you hurt sweetie?" Leana cooed, kneeling down beside him.

"Nope, just comfy," Jimmy answered, pulling her into him for a kiss.

Johnny gave them a look of disgust, mumbling something about beer and heading for the kitchen. He was hating the fact that Lacey was visiting with her parents and that he was surrounded by couples who insisted on being all over each other at the most inappropriate moments. The giggle that greeted him in the kitchen did nothing to improve his mood. 

"Oh jesus," he groaned as he came face to face with Brian pinning Janey against the work station, lips firmly attached to her neck. 

"Oh joy, it's the horny Haners!" he exclaimed, opening the door of the fridge in search of alcohol. 

Brian looked over Janey's shoulder, eyebrow raised in question.

"You ok there buddy?" he asked, pulling away from Janey who wore a look of concern. 

Johnny took a long drink from the bottle he'd just opened and shrugged. 

"Yeah...no. I just miss Lacey and seeing all of you happy couples together just makes it worse and I...."

"Oh sweetie, I'm sorry," Janey whispered as she hugged him. "Look, why don't you come back with Brian and I later and have dinner," she suggested.

"Yeah, and then we'll go out after and have a few beers, get the rest of the guys to come along, boys night out," Brian added. 

Johnny looked between the pair, trying to weigh up whether he actually wanted to be a burden on them for the evening.

"If that's ok, I don't wanna ruin any plans you may have."

"Plans?" Janey scoffed "Honey, the only plans I have are a bubble bath and an early night, you really won't be getting in the way."

Janey turned to the fridge and picked up the tray of patties and steaks.

"Why don't you boys take these to the outside fridge and get that grill going, Mikki and JB will be here real soon."

Brian winked at her as he took the tray from her hands, leaving Janey to carry on preparing the salads she'd been working on before Brian had interupted her. As she went to grab some dressing, the front door opened.

"Afternoon people!" Matt's voice resounded throughout the house as he and Val entered.

"You're cutting it fine," Janey called over her shoulder. 

"Well, figured that as we were the last ones to know about Mikki going into labor, we may as well be the last ones to arrive...again," Matt stated casually, peering over Janey's shoulder to see what she was up to.

Janey gritted her teeth, a strained smile on her face, trying to ignore the obvious dig her cousin had thrown at her. She didn't want to get into a fight with him and ruin the day.

"All of this being left in the dark is enough to make a man paranoid," he added walking away.

Janey slammed the bottle down on the counter, swinging round to confront him.

"Stop right there Sanders!" she yelled. 

Matt turned on his heel to face her, an arrogant smirk on his face.

"You and Valary were only the last ones to know about Mikki because Brian couldn't get hold of you, he actually called you first. So don't for one minute think that it was some kind of ploy to piss you off, cos believe me, I can think of much better ways to pass my time."

"Janey, I..."

"Shut it, I'm not done. This has nothing to do with Mikki, this all goes back to the wedding, and your pigheadedness won't allow you to get over the fact that you weren't there. Well, there were a lot of people that weren't there Matthew, and they've all been just fine with it. They've respected the decisions that Brian and I came to about our day, because that's exactly what it was...our day. It was about what we wanted. And until you learn to respect what we went ahead and did, don't bother talking to me if all you're gonna do is spout shit like some fucking kid." 

Janey's raised voice had drawn an audience, Brian at the front of the crowd that had gathered in the archway that led into the kitchen. 

"Baby, it's not worth it," he told her calmly. Janey ignored his words.

"I really thought we'd gotten past you being an asshole when it came to Brian and I, Matt, seems I was wrong." 

Janey grabbed her purse from the counter and barged her way past her friends. Brian grabbed her hand to stop her.

"Don't leave Janey, they'll be here any minute," he murmured, his brown eyes pleading with her to stay.

"I just need some space," she told him quietly before kissing his cheek "Tell Mikki I'm real sorry and I'll stop by after work tomorrow." 

Janey walked quickly out the front door to her car, Matt's voice stopping her momentarily as she went to unlock the driver's door.

"Janey, where are you going?"

Janey opened the door and started to get in.

"I have no idea, but when I decide, I'll make sure you're the last to know," she retorted, slamming the door shut before she sped off from the kerb, wanting to get away before the tears that stung her green eyes began to fall. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh wow guys! I don't even know where to start! 10 stars after the first chapter...that's incredible, thank you so much!! And as part of that thank you...chapter 2 :) xx