‹ Prequel: Second Chances
Status: On hiatus

Only Time Will Tell

Never A Perfect Time

Janey held Elijah in her arms, completely entranced by the tiny human being as he slept soundly. She didn't want to lay him down just yet, fearful that she would wake him. Instead, Janey sat back in the chair, content to hold her new favourite person for as long as she could. She closely watched every little movement his tiny face made, smiling to herself at just how damn perfect he was.

"He's cute now he's not covered in all that gross shit," Brian murmured, seating himself gently on the arm of the chair to join his wife in staring at the little miracle in her arms.

"You do realise that our kids will also be covered in gross shit when they're born and not look their best don't you?" Janey questioned softly.

"Baby, our kids are gonna be beautiful no matter what, just look at their dad for a start," Brian chuckled before turning more serious.

"I meant what I said in the hospital, about us starting a family."

Janey didn't answer straight away. She had known he was serious. She also knew that she wanted nothing more than to have a family with Brian. Janey just wasn't sure if the timing was right. She was very aware of how Brian could be, and if this was something that he had absolutely set his heart on, he wouldn't be prepared to let it drop. 

"Brian, Jason's gonna need your help with the crib, he's sitting surrounded by bits of it with no idea what he's fucking doing." 

Mikki's voice broke the silence that had fallen between the couple, Janey almost sighing with relief. 

"Why he hadn't put it together before you came home is beyond me," Brian sighed.

"Well, I think when he saw 'self assembly' on the box, he figured the damn thing would jump right out and put itself together," Mikki stated, sounding a little exasperated. 

"Figures," Brian laughed standing up. 

As he went to help Jason, he threw Janey a questioning look over his shoulder, to which she gave a weak smile. Mikki stared at Janey for a moment before speaking again.

"Did I interupt you two?" she asked. Janey shook her head, her gaze drifitng back to the little man in her arms.

"No, well yeah, kind of I guess. he's really got his heart set on us having kids, and I don't think he wants to wait to get started either," Janey told her. 

"And you have a problem with that?" Mikki questioned. "Janey, you guys would make incredible parents. Although your kids would be too damn pretty for their own good, which makes me incredibley jealous."

"Awww, this little guy's gonna be a heartbreaker. A total crackpot, but a heartbreaker nonetheless." 

Janey looked over at Mikki who was now seated on the couch.

"I just don't know if it's the right time to be thinking about it. Everything's going to start getting so hectic for the guys in the next couple of weeks, what with heading off to the UK for a few dates, promo stuff going on, then the tour over here right up til just before christmas."

Janey knew it came across as though she was just finding excuses, but she couldn't help it. 

"I gather that Brian's not quitting the band then?"

Janey shook her head once again.

"No, he and Matt are being civil to each other, and let's face it, he'd be lost without them all."

"Well if that's the case, and you feel that his career is going to be a stumbling block, then you're never gonna have kids are you?" Mikki pointed out.

"Yeah, of course....."

"No, because there'll always be a tour, there'll always be a new album, there'll always be something that Brian's doing that will make it not the right time," Mikki interupted. "You seem to forget that Jason is going to be leaving with them when they go off, I'm going to be raising Elijah alone whilst he's gone, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. And personally, I think you and Gates having a kid would be the icing on the cake to the sickeningly perfect life you guys already have. Janey, there's never a perfect time for anyone to start a family, it just happens, and when it does, believe me, it's the most incredible feeling in the world."

Janey realised then that this one argument she was never going to win. Everything that Mikki was saying was true. No one could ever pick the perfect time for bringing a new life into the world. It was something they couldn't control. And Janey knew it was something that she desperately wanted. 

"Since when did you start making sense oh wise one?" she asked Mikki with a smirk.

"Well apparently this parental dealy requires some form of growing up and being mildly responsible. It's a little scary, but I figured there's no harm in giving it a try," Mikki answered grinning. 

"So does this mean you're going to stop over analysing and actually go for it?" she questioned.

Janey smiled and nodded, gazing back down at Elijah.

"Yeah, I think I am," she murmured. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks you for all the comments. Just to let you know this will be the last update on this story until Monday as I'm away again this weekend to see a certain group of boys on the last date of their UK tour :D xx