Gasoline

But You Used Gasoline

“The world is dying to meet you.” – Noah & The Whale

“You know, there’s a new family that moved in across the street,” Jude’s mother, Fiona, told his father that evening as the family finished their dinner.

“Really?” Mark Bonham seemed interested in this news – things rarely changed in the neighborhood. It had been enough of a surprise when the Finches moved away, and when the new family moved in so shortly after that, Jude was sure the street would explode with gossip and shock.

“Yes,” Mrs. Bonham responded. “You know, I baked some cookies this afternoon. Do you think it’s too soon to take them over there?” Jude should not have been surprised. His mother, who taught third grade at the local elementary school, spent much of the summer baking the best cookies in town.

“I don’t think so,” Jude’s father responded. “Besides, everyone loves your cookies, and I’m sure they would appreciate meeting the people who live on their street. Maybe you could have Jude take them over.” Jude looked up from his empty plate, interested at the thought of seeing the girl again.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Mark, we’ll all go.” Fiona stood up from the table, carrying two dinner plates with her. Jude grabbed his plate and followed his mother to the sink. “It’s been such a long time since a new family has moved on to this street. Maybe they’ve got a third grader.”

Jude smiled at his mother, trying to remember how old the boy appeared to be. He couldn’t remember anything particularly well, except the family’s teenage daughter and her bright blond hair.

“You haven’t seen them around town, have you, Jude?”

“I saw them this morning when they got here,” he responded. “I was out painting when the moving truck pulled into the driveway.” He didn’t want to make it sound as though he’d spied on the new neighbors, even though almost everyone else in the neighborhood was guilty of that exact crime.

“Well, I really shouldn’t be so nosy,” Mrs. Bonham said as she loaded the plates into the dishwasher. “We’ll meet them in a few minutes, anyways. Mark,” she called. “Can you get the cookies? They should be on a plate in the dining room. And don’t eat any of them.” Mark carried the cookies into the kitchen, where Fiona covered them with a layer of plastic wrap. She smiled and said, “Alright, let’s go meet the neighbors.”

The Bonhams walked across the street, which echoed with the sounds of children playing, people playing music and talking on front porches. From their house, the soft sound of conversation drifted through the open windows into the suburban street. Fiona knocked on the door and the Bonhams waited anxiously to meet the new family on the street.

Inside the house, the Laughlins were clearing away their dinner plates when they heard a knock on their door. “Someone’s at the door!” screamed their son, Jack. He was thirteen years old, with flaming red hair and an extreme love for Led Zeppelin. He was louder than most people preferred children to be, but the Laughlins had grown used to Jack’s extroverted personality.

“Go answer it, honey,” his mother, Anita, said. Jack obediently ran to the door, slipping on the hardwood floor before flinging the door open. His father, Dan, was a few paces behind.

“Hi,” Mrs. Bonham said brightly. “We’re the Bonhams; we live across the street. I just thought we’d welcome you to the neighborhood.”

“Hello,” Dan replied. “I’m Dan Laughlin, and this is my son, Jack.” He paused and glanced over his shoulder. He called into the house: “Anita? Cody? The neighbors are here!”

“I brought cookies,” Mrs. Bonham offered.

“They brought cookies!” Dan yelled. A few moments later, his wife, Anita, walked down the hallway to the front door.

“Hello,” she said warmly. “I’m Anita. Thanks so much for the cookies.”

“Nice to meet you,” Fiona replied. “I’m Fiona Bonham, and this is my husband, Mark, and my son, Jude.” As his mother introduced him, Jude noticed the Laughlin’s daughter walk into view. Her hair was even more brilliant from a few feet away, and she had big gray eyes that held his attention.

“This is our daughter, Cody,” Mrs. Laughlin said. “Cody, this is Mr. and Mrs. Bonham and their son, Jude.” She looked from her daughter to the new neighbors. “Would you like to come in for some coffee?”

Mrs. Bonham glanced at her family for a split second before replying, “Sure,” with a bright smile. “Thank you very much.”

“No problem,” Mrs. Laughlin replied. Her family scattered into the house as the Bonhams walked through the front door. Mrs. Bonham and Mrs. Laughlin immediately walked into the kitchen, shortly followed by Mark and Dan. Jack, curious about the people he’d just met, followed his parents into the kitchen. Jude looked around and noticed Cody, standing in front of the window. She was half-lit by the setting sun, and her face seemed to glow.

“Sorry, I don’t know if I caught your name,” she said, turning to look at Jude. The more he looked at her face, the more he realized he wanted to draw her.

“I’m Jude,” he said.

“Nice to meet you,” she responded. “I’m Cody.” She rolled something between her fingers, which ended in short nails painted jet black. A flame flickered above her hand, and Jude realized she was playing with a lighter. “You’re not in high school, are you?”

“No,” he replied. “I’m working right now, but next year I’ll be at art school.”

Cody smiled and flicked the lighter again. “Are you any good?”

Jude took a few steps towards her, but she hardly seemed to notice. A few yards away, their parents were talking loudly, frequently interrupted by Jack. “Actually, I was wondering if I could draw you.”

This time, Cody laughed. She held the tab of the lighter so that the flame stayed – seconds passed, until finally she let the flame disappear. “Maybe later,” she said. “Not right now. Nice to meet you, Jude.” She tossed the lighter in the air; without thinking, Jude caught it. Cody had left the room, and Jude had no idea where she’d gone. He looked at the small lighter – a bright green BIC, and all the fluid gone. Cody Laughlin was a mystery, but Jude hoped she wouldn’t stay that way for long.