Love Will Bring You Back

Breakaway

Two weeks after turning eighteen Kelsey Oliver packed up her bedroom in her parent’s house. Filling the trunk, the backseat, and a small U-haul she set out on the road. Saying goodbye wasn’t as hard as she thought it would be. Sure there had tears shed, but it was only because they cared for her well being.

Christine Oliver hugged her daughter tight not knowing the next time she would see her only daughter again. “Be careful now love, don’t forget about us back here. You call as soon as you get situated okay?” she didn’t leave time for her daughter to reply before she spoke again “And If you need anything, anything at all you’re father and I will be glad to help out.” She looked back behind her towards her husband nudging her head forward giving him a queue.

Stepping forward Hank handed his daughter an envelope “Just to help you get started.” When his daughter took the envelope and said thank-you all he wanted was to pull her in close and never let go. But instead being the man that he was he hid his emotions well by giving her a nod and retreating back to his spot in the background.

After saying goodbye to her mother again Kelsey went to unlock and get in her car, but instead she threw the envelope in the passenger seat and ran back to where her father was standing and hugged him tight “I love you daddy. I just wanted to let you know that I’ll always be your little girl.” With that she lightly kissed him on the cheek and walked away, passing by her mother she grabbed her hand, gave it a small squeeze smiled and got in the car. She needed to get out of there so they wouldn’t see her cry and see how frightened she actually was.

Turning the key in the ignition and backing out of the drive way she wasn’t sure where she was headed to. All she knew was she needed to get out of this town, and become something more then a typical housewife that didn’t make her own name. She was still missing that fulfilment that life had to offer her.

Being on the road for two days wasn’t something she ever planned on. By now she was exhausted and craving for a hot meal and shower. The next town she said would be the one, what she wasn’t expecting was to come to a four way stop with three towns to choose from. Undecided Kelsey flicked her hazard lights on and pulled off to the side of the road.

Thoughts raced through her mind Am I making the right choice to make it on my own? Am I too young? Will I fail myself as well as my parents? But the answers never came. So she waited.

The sun began to set, Kelsey knew she had lost yet another day and that meant losing her hard earned money on gas. She remembered how hard she’d worked over the summer babysitting, walking dogs, cleaning houses; her mind set on leaving the town behind her. That summer she had earned $5000 it wasn’t much but it was a start towards her new life.

Startling her out of thought a song on the radio caught her attention “When you don’t know where to go, just go left. That’s where I’ll be” At first she didn’t know what to think of it, but in the end she took it as inspiration. With her left hand she flicked the hazard lights off and switched the left turning light on, looking behind her for traffic she pulled back onto the road.

With a new found confidence and a smile on her face she turned left.