Don't You Ever Fear I'm Always Near

Winning X Games Medals Too Much For The Rookie?

So… um… I kind of… lost the Rally race. It was Tanner and I in the final too! He let me have it! He even bragged about it in his interviews! Thanks, Tanner! After the interviews, he came over and let me have it a little more. So, I had to invite him to dinner. I told him to come to my parents’ house since… I wasn’t the best-known cook. My mother would help.

But there’s something Kirstie doesn’t know. I may have invited… Josh. I thought it seemed fitting. Tanner’s coming… Why can’t Kirstie have a guy friend that’s cute too?

I just broke the news to my mom as we were cooking a few days later. She gave that motherly look like, Ky, why would you do that to your sister? I just ignored it and continued to will this stupid water to boil so that I could put the spaghetti noodles in it.

“Kylee! Tanner’s here,” Kirstie shouted with a huge smirk in her voice.

Even though I wanted to stay in the kitchen, I went sprinting into the living room. Oh my word, did he look good? But that didn’t stop me from going over to hug him. Whoa… did I say that right? I went to… hug him? I’ve been in the kitchen way too long.

“It’s smelling good in here,” he smiled after we parted.

“I’m working really hard for you. You better appreciate it!” I complained just as there was another knock on the door.

I looked over in Kirstie’s direction to see her giving me a confused expression. I just smiled and led Tanner into the living room to chill whilemy mom I cooked dinner. Once I was back in the kitchen, hurried footsteps came into the kitchen… I bet I know who it is!

“Who invited Josh?” she asked, most likely glaring at me. My back was facing her though so I wasn’t too sure.

“Maybe the amount of love he has for you attracted him here,” I smiled without turning around.

“Why’d you invite him? Oh my gosh, I want to do such illegal things to you right now!” she shouted.

I just smiled as I turned around and walked over to her. She may be sending me the biggest glare right now, but I still pulled her in for a hug. She’ll thank me later.

“I love you, Kirstie,” I grinned.

She just huffed her little way out of the kitchen. I giggled as I went back to helping my mom.

“Ky, you should lighten up on her,” our mother said in her motherly way.

“But I’m not doing anything she doesn’t want me to do. She wants Josh here just as much as I want Tan…” I caught myself… but I think it was a little too late.

My mom looked at me with her eyebrow raised. My face started burning with red so fast. Crap!

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that just in case I make the mistake and tell your sister,” she teased while finishing up cooking.

I sighed as I went and told everyone it was ready. I waited until everyone was in the kitchen before I moved. Well, I tried too. Tanner put his hand on my lower back to get me moving. I let out another heavy breath before following everyone.

Once we were all at the dinner table, Tanner was sat next to me while Kirstie was across and Josh was next to her. My parents sat at the ends. I was slightly uneasy all night. My mom always sent me this look whenever I smiled at Tanner a little more than normal. To make it even worse, my dad apparently had had enough dirt bike talk… he started talk about Rallying!

“I’ll tell ya, Tanner, you and Kylee are the two most entertaining drivers to watch no matter what track you’re at,” he spoke, making me groan and put my head in my hands.

“Dad, please spare the embarrassment right now,” I said with my hands still pressed against my face.

“Aw, he’s not embarrassing you. He’s just a proud father,” Tanner said while resting his arm on the back of my chair.

I spread my fingers just enough to see Kirstie smirking at me. If I was a violent personand I had food left on my plate I would throw a saucy noodle at her. How do I turn this around on Josh and Kirstie?

“Hey, Tanner, want to go for a walk around the pound?” I asked, not waiting for an answer.

“Um… sure,” he replied once I was on my way to the kitchen with both of our plates in hand.

Once I came back out, I grabbed a hoodie and started walking to the backyard with Tanner walking beside me. We crossed the bridge so that we could sit in the little gazebo that my mother so desperately needed or the house would look terrible. No one uses. I don’t really see the need, but it makes her happy.

“You’re not acting like yourself tonight,” he said once we sat down.

“I’m just stressed,” I sighed while running my hand through my hair.

“Aw, winning X Games medals too much for the rookie?” he teased.

“I’m not a rookie! That was five years ago. I can’t be the rookie my whole life,” I kind of… snapped.

“Something’s really bothering you,” he chuckled.

“I’m sorry. It’s just… I feel like everything my parents say is way too much and they try too hard and… may say things that they’re not supposed,” I rattled off, so thankful that my mom didn’t say anything.

“They’re normal parents. Chill out,” he said sweetly while slinging his arms around my shoulders. “Dinner was amazing though. Thank you,” he smiled once I looked up into his eyes.

I’ve never seen them look so gorgeous before in my life. With the fireflies out tonight, they were reflecting off of his eyes in such a dazzling way. They kind of… stunned me for a few seconds. But I quickly shook that aside. He’s a competitor… he’s a competitor.

“You’re welcome,” I smiled before resting my head on his shoulder.

After it made contact with him, I hurried to pull it off, but he brought his other arm around me. I was cold so I gave into him… and hooked my own arms around him. Why the sudden change in actions? I mean… we’ve known each other for years and have always talked a lot of smack on each other. Why has everything changed… or it seems like it. I used to hate this guy’s guts, but now… he’s like the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would have posted this last night, but right when I turned my internet off for the night, Kirstie posted... stupid timezones! lol

Kylee & Tanner *sighs* lol

comment?