Status: Updated! 3/17/14

Meet Me Halfway

June 2, 2011

Aubrey

I rubbed the sides of my arms, attempting to erase the goose bumps that arose from the chilly air breezing through the night. The sky was pitch black aside from the sprinkle of stars barely shining through and the moon hiding behind faint clouds. The only thing keeping me from tripping onto the asphalt were the street lights illuminating the path in front of me.

When I checked my phone it was two in the morning and I had been on the road for more than an hour. My feet were throbbing not only for walking for so long, but also because I was wearing flip-flops. As much as I hated to admit it, JR was right. I shouldn’t have gone to that guy’s party.

“Hey, you having a good time?” the guy from the beach, Troy, asked taking a seat next to me on the couch.

I smiled and nodded my head. “I am. Thanks again for picking me up,” I said taking a sip from the cold wine cooler in my hand.

“No problem. Definitely didn’t want to miss having you here,” he said pulling back a strand of my hair.

I shifted uncomfortably and took one last sip before placing the bottle down on the coffee table. “Oh here, I’ll take that and bring you another one,” he offered grabbing the empty bottle and walking towards the kitchen.

I thanked him and continued to watch the pair of teams finish up their beer pong game; all the while I nodded my head to the beat of the music. I felt myself sink into the couch and noticed another guy took the seat next to me.

He nodded his back and smiled. “Hey.”

“Sup?” I asked awkwardly.

He smirked and chuckled a little. “You’re cute. Too bad you’re here with my boy Troy.”

I turned towards him, cocking an eyebrow. “I’m not here with anyone,” I stated bluntly.

“Sorry, I just assumed.” He took something out of his pocket and lit it between his hands; I instantly knew what it was just from the smell.

He caught me staring at him as he huffed and blew out the light smoke. “I didn’t take you as the type to smoke. Do you wanna hit some of this?” he asked offering me the small joint.

In the back of my mind, I knew I shouldn’t and I knew once I felt it hit my lungs I wouldn’t stop, like the many times before. I reluctantly took it out of his hands and slowly put it to my lips. It felt good to have the taste back in my mouth; it felt good to feel at ease for once in a long time.

With the mixture of alcohol and weed going through my system I wasn’t even sure how much time had passed since I had been at the party. Every once in a while I felt myself drift in and out of sleep – everything was looking blurry – nothing seeming real.

I noticed the party starting to die down -- less and less people were in the room. Troy came back with another wine cooler for me (I lost count at some point during the evening). I felt him wrap his arm around my shoulders, pecking my neck with his dry lips, while his other hand roamed up my shirt.

“Stop,” I demanded pulling his hand away from me.

“Shhh, come on. You know you want to,” he whispered inching his hand under my shirt again.

I pushed him back with as much force as I could. “No. Stop!” I yelled.

I got up, regaining my balance, and heard him call out, “Bitch,” as I started to head towards the front door and threw him the finger.


I was stupid to think nothing bad would happen at the party. I should’ve listened to JR and stayed at home or even have gone to Kelly’s party. In the distance I could see the beach house; only the porch light on, making me hopeful that JR was still asleep and I could sneak in without being detected. It was a miracle I hadn’t passed out at the party or even as I walked the streets back to the beach house, but I finally made it home.

I slowly closed the door behind me, locked it, and quietly walked up the stairs. Just as I was about to open my bedroom door the lights in the loft turned on and I could sense someone else was in the room with me; I had been caught.

I heard him clear his throat and turned around to see him sitting in one of the recliners, his arms across his chest, and ankle prompted on his knee, foot shaking rapidly. I sighed, leaned against the wall, and slid down to the floor.

“Do I even wanna know where you were at?” he asked coolly.

I averted my eyes from his and shook my head. “Probably not.”

“Don’t tell me. You went to that guy’s party right?” I stayed silent, which he took for a yes. “I can’t believe you would just go off with someone you don’t know and go to their house. What if something had happened to you?” I shrugged my shoulders and tried my best to hold back the tears.

I heard him get up and felt him standing in front of me. I looked at him as she crouched down to my eye level. I didn’t want him near me, seeing me in this state; I felt embarrassed.

I saw him sniff the air around me, his facial expressions looking as if he was deciphering what he was smelling. “Were you smoking weed?” He looked into my eyes and that said it all.

He shook his head disappointedly. “I figured you would drink, but really? Weed? You’re not that girl Aubrey,” he said placing his hand on my shoulder.

“You don’t know who I am,” I whispered getting up. “Look, I just walked over an hour to get here, so I’m pretty exhausted. Do you mind if we just talk about this tomorrow…or never,” I suggested.

“You walked from the party to here? What the-” I gave him that look that I wasn’t up for talking anymore. He seemed to understand and stopped himself from asking more. “Okay. Okay. I won’t ask anything else, but let me see your phone.” I looked at him curiously and handed it to him.

“What are you doing?” I asked as he pressed the buttons on my phone.

“Just in case this happens again – because let’s be real, it might – you have my number and now I have yours,” he said holding up his phone and giving back mine.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. “Good night,” I heard him say as I walked to my room.

========================================---| |---================================

“Aubrey. Aubrey wake up. Aubrey!” I felt my body shake and someone’s hands grip my shoulders motion me back and forth.

I knew it was JR, so I just pushed him away and turned my back to him. It felt like I had just fallen asleep and was in no mood to be awoken at the moment, but he kept on nagging me to wake up.

“What do you want? I’m trying to sleep,” I said annoyed from his presence.

“Get up already. Read your letter we only have three hours. Hurry up.”

I heard the door close and opened my eyes, turning over to check the time. 10:17 AM. Not even eight hours of sleep; I had originally planned to sleep all day, but remembering what JR said I got up and walked over to the dresser. I picked out the letter that was meant to be open today.

TRIGO!

Huntington Beach. Surfing. Go!

Okay let me elaborate. We’ve always talked about going to Huntington Beach and taking some surfing lessons, so now I actually want you to go through with it; you’ll just have to do it without me. JR has the details so just follow him without the attitude little missy okay? Hurry though, your lessons start at 1 PM!

Xoxo Lauren


I placed the note back down and made my way to JR’s room. He opened it right away after I knocked a couple of times. He saw my confused expression and smiled, knowing I had no idea what was going on besides heading to Huntington Beach for surfing.

“So, what else do I need to know about this trip?” I asked walking into his room.

“Well, it’s an overnight trip.” That’s when I noticed the small, open suitcase on the floor that was packed with hardly any clothes. “So, you’ll need extra clothes, your swimsuit, overnight items, and your letter for tomorrow.”

“So, you driving or am I?”

========================================---| |---================================

The beach here was nothing like Long Beach’s; the waves were made for surfing and it seemed like everyone took up the sport. JR and I followed our surfing instructor along the shore, feeling the cool water rise to our ankles. I could sense a pair of eyes staring in my direction and turned to see JR smiling at me; my cheeks flushed. I returned a smile back at him.

“Excited?” he asked getting a better grip on his board.

I nodded my head and did the same. “Super excited. Lauren and I talked about doing this for so long, but…” I sighed and shrugged my shoulders. “…I don’t know why we never did. You know what though? I’m glad I’m doing this with you.” I smiled, sincerely meaning what I said.

He looked surprised, which I didn’t blame him for; it wasn’t often I handed out nice things to say to him. After taking a moment to soak in the rareness, he broke out into that gorgeous smile of his.

“Wow I uh…wasn’t expecting that. Thanks. I’m glad I’m doing this with you too.”

Our surfing instructor stopped and pointed to the sand, instructing us to lay our boards down. “All right you two let’s get to surfing.”

========================================---| |---================================

“Okay! When you see a wave you like, start paddling!” The instructor shouted from his board.

JR and I were sitting on our boards, looking behind us to catch the perfect wave. I told him to go first and I’d follow after him, not wanting to be totally embarrassed when I wiped out.

“I’m gonna take this one!” JR yelled as he started to paddle.

I watched him gracefully glide with the wave and effortlessly stand up, beginning to surf. He made it look easy, then again anything he tried he made look easy. I let a couple of waves pass after JR went and finally saw a wave that I felt I could handle. I started to paddle and when the time was right, stood up, and felt the wind blow in my face. I couldn’t believe I was actually surfing. I’m doing it Lauren. I’m doing it.

Faster than I stood up, I felt myself lose my balance, and the board slipped from under my feet. The wave was stronger than it looked and took me down underneath it, while the other waves continuously crashed over me. I felt the leash around my ankle snap from the surf board and instantly felt a surging pain to my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Looks like Aubrey is in some trouble.
I would like to thank Smiling In The Dark for the lovely comments =)
Thanks for reading and subscribing