Status: Updated! 3/17/14

Meet Me Halfway

June 7, 2011

Aubrey

I was sore from yesterday to say the least; my whole lower body quivered every time I walked, sat, or stood in one place. I should’ve known this would happen because I did not condition to speed skate whatsoever. And now I instantly regretted it as I entered my bedroom to retrieve some photos I took from yesterday at the rink. Thankfully, the Vosteens bought a beach house with an elevator in it, which would later be of great use when Lauren was too weak to walk up and down the stairs.

I winced as I took a seat on the couch next to JR, easing my way on it. “Sore from yesterday?” JR asked noticing the discomfort on my face.

I let out a painful laugh. “No, not at all. What makes you think that?” I replied sarcastically.

He smiled. “Just from careful observation. I probably shouldn’t have let you race so many times,” he said scooting closer to me.

I felt myself tense up and my heart start racing. I thought it was so silly of me to get myself worked up over him being so close. It was the way he smelled and how much of his body heat I could feel against my skin that almost drove me to breathing heavily. But it was the thought of him loving another girl that kept me from doing so. When he told me that he loved Ashley, I didn’t know what to say or how to react. I wanted to be happy for him; a part of me still does, but it’s hard to force yourself to do something you don’t want to do or feel.

Brushing those thoughts aside, I licked my lips and gulped back the butterflies. “And I probably wouldn’t have listened to you, but I had fun. Thanks again for teaching me.”

His lips formed a perfect smile and I had the sudden urge to finish where we had left off Sunday night, but all I could do was smile back. I hated it…this. The way I started to feel when I was around him. It was probably one of the reasons why I didn’t like being around him for too long. It was just easier if I never saw him.

“It was no problem. I had tons of fun and Lauren was right, it was funnier with you there,” he laughed.

I smiled and shook my head. “No wonder she always tried to get me to go speed skating with you guys all those summers ago,” I said spreading out all the photos from yesterday.

JR immediately grabbed one of the pictures and burst out into laughter. “Oh man, we have to get this one framed.”

I got curious as to which picture he was holding and leaned over to have a look at it. “Really? This one? Who the hell took this picture anyways?”

“I think one of the kids from the club did. Oh come on Aubrey, it’s such a flattering picture of you,” he said still laughing at it.

I took it out of his hands and studied it. “What’s so flattering about me falling on my ass?” I asked looking at him for a response.

“Well, because you’re laughing and I like the way you laugh, plus it also shows off some of your smile, which I think is beautiful,” he commented shyly.

I was stunned and didn’t know what to say back. I had never been one to receive comments well, especially if they were from guys. And I didn’t understand why he was saying these things to me. To be honest I wish he’d stop, because it wasn’t helping with how I was beginning to feel towards him.

I decided to redirect our attention to other photos that did not have me in them. “Um…these are my favorite from yesterday,” I said pulling forward a few photos.

I heard a low “Wow” come from JR’s direction. I gave a boastful smile as he marveled over the pictures I had taken of him short track speed skating. It had been a very long time, over a year, since I’ve done motion captured photography. But I have to say I was pretty proud of how they turned out; I even thought they came out better than the ones from the Olympics.

“You like them?” I asked, looking at him.

“Are you kidding me? They’re incredible,” he remarked as he continued to roam his eyes over them. “And excuse me for saying this, but I even think they’re better than the ones you took in Vancouver.”

“No it’s fine. I actually agree,” I said, the two of us smiling at each other. But then something struck me. “Wait…I don’t remember showing you the photos I took up in Vancouver. How did you see them?”

He looked away, lowering his eyes towards the coffee table before us. He slowly licked his lips and bit the bottom one. Then scratched the back of his head.

“Well…Lauren showed me. She made me copies of your photos. I hope you’re not mad,” he said looking up hoping I wouldn’t start an argument.

I shook my head. “No, no. I’m not mad. So, which ones did she give you?”

He seemed surprised that I wasn’t angry, but at the same time relieved. “Um…the ones of me racing, the two medal ceremonies, the three of us after I got my medal, one with just me and Lauren, and the one of me and you.”

I thought back to all the pictures I had taken as he listed them, but last one never came to mind. “Mmm…I don’t remember the one of me and you. What were we doing?” I asked becoming curious.

“Oh, well, I still had my medal around my neck, you had it in your hands and were looking down at it,” he described.

“And you were?”

“I-I was looking down at it too.”

I nodded my head. “Well I guess I should be flattered. Lauren was the only person I showed the pictures to because I was afraid no one would like them.”

“You should proud of them and every picture you take. And I thought you wanted to go into professional photography to do this kind of stuff.”

I shrugged my shoulders. “It was. That’s why Lauren and I picked photography to study, so after we graduated we could open up our own studio, but then…you know and I, I don’t know,” I sighed.

“She wouldn’t want you giving up on your dream just because she’s no longer here to be a part of it,” he said grabbing my hands. “Look Aubrey, not everyone can take amazing pictures, but you can. You’ve proven that you obviously have what it takes. Everyone goes through struggles you just have to get through it and I’m here for you, always,” he smiled.

At some point during his pep talk I started tearing up and when he finished I couldn’t help but let the tears fall down my cheeks. Ever since Lauren’s death, I felt like I didn’t have any friends to lean on, but when those last five words left his mouth I knew I did – smiling internally. He was so heartfelt and it made me believe that I could live out my dream, even when my best friend wasn’t with me.

I removed my hands from his and pulled him into a hug. “Thanks,” I whispered in his ear.

I felt him nod his head and mumble an “Mmhmm”. Was this the reason why Lauren wanted us to come here together? Because we would need each other to get through this? I never really knew Lauren’s true intentions with some situations, but in the end it usually worked out for the best, so at this point, I was willing to trust anything she had us doing.

After we broke the hug, I got up (with a few more winces) and ran my fingers through my hair, while my other hand settled on my hip. “Well then, I’m gonna go read my letter. See what’s on the agenda for today,” I said making my way towards the elevator.

I heard him get up and follow behind me. “I hope you don’t mind if I ride with you. I’ve always wanted to take the elevator, but never did.”

I smiled and shook my head. “Nope, I don’t mind at all,” I said pressing the 2 button.

“See ya in a bit,” he called as he walked into his bedroom.

I grabbed the next letter, slowly sat down on my bed, and began reading it:

Aubrey,

I hope everything is going great at the beach house so far. I know you and JR have your “issues”, but hopefully you two are working them out and are being civil towards each other. But I’m guessing you are since you went speed skating with him yesterday. And let me just say it was hilarious watching you fall on your butt! Oh don’t worry, I’m not future seer, I just know you all too well. If you thought the fun was ending, you thought wrong my friend. I have a wonderful trip planned for you two for the next two days. As for today, you’ll make the short trip to the destination. L.A. As always, JR has the details =).

Love ya always, LV


Lauren really did know me “all too well” as she stated in her letter. She even knew me better than I knew myself. But what did she know about JR and me that we didn’t know from the beginning? I remember confessing to Lauren that I had a minor crush on JR after finally getting to know him, but I think it was more out of lust than anything; he was…still is built like a god. That thought had me wondering if maybe she knew if JR had liked me at one time too.

A low knock came from the doorway and I turned to see JR standing there. “Finish your letter?” he asked entering in a little.

“Yeah. You know I’ve lived in Long Beach all my life and I’ve only been to L.A. like twice. I’m pretty excited we’re going.”

“Me too.”

“Okay so what’s gonna happen?” I asked becoming impatient.

“Oh right. Well we’re leaving today and from what I understand, the hotel’s booked, so we just gotta check-in. We’ll be there ‘til the tenth, so pack accordingly. As for what we’ll be doing, I have no idea,” he said leaning against the wall.

“So when do you wanna leave then?” I asked getting up to grab my suitcase.

“Depends; how fast can you pack?”

“Mmm, give me thirty minutes,” I said rummaging through my closet.

“No problem.”

Before he left my room, I got up and called after him, “JR,” I said hesitating my question.

He turned around. “Yeah?”

As much as I wanted to know if he had liked me sometime in the past, I couldn’t ask him. At least not now. “Um…can I drive?” I asked not knowing what else to say.

He smiled and nodded his head. “That’s cool with me, but are you sure you’re not too sore?”

I waved him off. “No, I’m fine to drive. Don’t worry.”

He shrugged his shoulders. “All right. I’ll meet you at the car in thirty.”

========================================---| |---================================

What seemed like forever, we had finally made it to LA and to the hotel. We stood in line waiting to check-in; surprisingly there were a lot of people ahead of us. I guess people like to vacation in LA for the summer.

“I forgot how bad traffic is here,” JR said suddenly.

I laughed to myself thinking how random it was, because we didn’t say a thing to each other as we were stuck in traffic earlier.

“Yeah me too,” I responded.

After several minutes of standing in line, we were finally next to check-in. “Umm…Celski,” JR told the man behind the counter.

“Okay Mr. Celski, your check-out day in the tenth at eleven A.M. Here’s your room keys and enjoy your stay,” the man smiled handing JR two keys.

“Thanks,” JR replied.

We headed for the elevator and waited for one of them to open. I turned to my head to my right and noticed a mirror facing in our direction. I frowned at my reflection, noticing the stitches on my forehead. For a while, I had almost forgotten they were there, but I straightened my frown remembering they’d be out soon.

“JR Celski?” a girl, who was coming out of the elevator, asked.

We both turned around to face the girl. She was either an admirer or someone he knew personally. Ever since he had become an Olympian it was hard to know for sure which of the two he was to them.

“Hannah? Is that you?” he asked, getting closer to her to make sure.

“So you do remember who I am.”

He laughed and went up to hug her. “Of course, how are you?”

“I’m doing good. Just on a little vacation. You?” she asked taking a step back, giving him the look over.

“Same,” he responded and looked over his shoulder to me. “Oh, um, this is my friend Aubrey. Aubrey this is my friend from the short track club, Hannah,” he introduced us.

I smiled and gave her a small wave. “Hi,” we said in unison.

“So, are you here for the Minus The Bear concert tomorrow night? I know they’re one of you favorite bands,” she asked redirecting her attention to JR.

“Seriously? They’re playing tomorrow night?” He shook his head. “Gosh, I wish I had known. We’re not going. I honestly have no idea what’s happening tomorrow.”

“Well, lucky for you and your friend I have two extra tickets, that is if you don’t have plans. My cousin were supposed to go with me, but backed out the last minute. Just let me know,” she said.

“Yeah, definitely. You still have the same number?” he asked grabbing his phone from his pocket.

Hannah nodded her head. “Yup. Well I gotta go. I’ll talk to you later.”

“It was nice meeting you,” I yelled as she walked away, but she didn’t so much as make a sign that she heard me.

JR and I rode the elevator to our floor and when we finally got to our room, we both stood there completely silent and feeling awkward.

“Umm…are you sure this is the right room?” I asked staring at the spacious, nice looking room that only had one bed.

“Positive,” he replied, setting down his bags.

“Well,” I began.

“Look, I’ll just sleep on the floor or the couch. It’s no big deal.”

“Actually, I was thinking we could just share the bed. It’s not like we haven’t slept in the same bed before; plus this one is a lot bigger than the other one we shared.”

He turned to me with a shocked look on his face. “Really?” I nodded my head; he shrugged his shoulders. “All right, then we will share the bed.”

I wouldn’t let him know it, but I was pretty happy about that.