Family Ties

Vincent Cross 8

Vincent Cross - Cross Brother’s house, January 17th 4:00 am
My mind was in a state of disarray. Every night I would try to sleep, and every night I wouldn’t be able too. I moved to the edge of the bed and sat there for a moment. I felt a hand on my shoulder and then I could smell her sweet scent as she moved closer to me.
“I haven’t said anything up until now but this is getting to be a problem you haven’t slept in a long time and I am worried about you.” Haley spoke softly.
“I am fine baby, its nothing to worry about.” I said.
“I know there is a lot going on and that’s why I haven’t said anything until now but if that is what the problem is then you need to figure out how to get passed it because you are not running at one hundred percent.” She said as she rubbed my shoulders. I pulled away and stood up.
“How am I not at one hundred percent? I think I would know if I wasn’t at my best.” I didn’t want to admit that I wasn’t at my best, or that all of this stuff was getting to me. I needed to be strong, for everyone.
“I know you want to put on the brave face for everyone but that doesn’t work on me I know you better than most. I know you are not at your best and there is a way I can prove it to you.” She said as she stood up and moved closer to me.
“Fine what is this test of yours.” I said still unwilling to admit that she might be right.
“How many people are in the house right now?” She asked.
“Six.” I stated.
“Nope, now use your magic and tell me how many people are in the house.” She was looking into my eyes now. I pushed with my magic and still wasn’t getting a different number.
“I still only sense six, Cray, Sabrina, Micheal, Nicole, you and myself.” I said growing a little frustrated with whatever game she was trying to play. If someone had in fact slipped into the house then this was no time to joke. She laughed a little.
“Wrong again.” She said as she put her arms around my shoulders and pulled me into a kiss. Slowly all the noise and weight in my head began to fall away. The clearer everything got the more I felt another presence in the house. It had taken a moment but it was completely clear now. She pulled away from the kiss slowly letting her lips linger on mine for a moment. When I looked into her eyes she smiled.
“How could I not have noticed, I am so sorry it took this long baby.” I picked her up into my arms and she wrapped her legs around my waist.
“It doesn’t matter now, you know.” She said tears forming in her eyes. I wiped the single tear that fell and smiled at her.
“Yes, I do know and I couldn’t be any happier.” I said kissing her forehead.
“We are having a baby.” She said tears of joy fell freely now and she laughed as she said it out loud. We sat on the bed and talked for a while we didn’t even notice the sun come up. For those few hours everything else didn’t matter.
“Who else knows?” I asked.
“No one, not even Nicole knows.” She said.
“So I guess all this stuff has everybody pretty mentally checked out, I am still so sorry I didn’t know sooner. I should have sensed it long before now.” I couldn’t believe that I hadn’t sensed something before.
“It’s fine baby, you take all of these problems and place them on your shoulders and you don’t care what it does to you as long as you can help everyone else. Its one of the things that I love about you, you’re a hero and you are always going to be, but you put too much pressure on your self you don’t need to take every problem head on all by yourself. You have a family that is here to help take some of the burden off you. The fact that you care so much about everyone here that you will go to any lengths to be strong for them and show no weakness is amazing. Your heart is so big but you cant keep that strong façade up when you are this troubled baby and that’s where you need to rely on me I am the one person in this universe that you don’t need to act strong for. You are the strongest man I know, so when it gets bad you come to me and you get it all out of your system so you can be the one that everyone needs you to be.” She smiled and caressed my cheek.
“I love you.” I said.
“I love you too.” I kissed her and held her close to me feeling all of the problems that I thought were so insurmountable before suddenly so easy to solve. I could hear people getting up and moving around the house now. I looked into Haley’s eyes one more time and kissed her again. I had my plan now and by the end of it I was confident that we would come out victorious. Everything was set out now perfectly clear to me, I knew exactly what we had to do.