Status: Feeling inspired 11/6/15

Meant to Be

Twenty-Three

July 2005

Olivia grabbed her hot cup of coffee and looked around the busy Starbucks. She quickly walked back to her table and waited.

As she began sipping on her coffee she heard a familiar voice. “You know, you really shouldn’t be drinking caffeine.”

Olivia looked up and smiled seeing Brendon’s sister, Kara. “Hey, thanks for meeting me,” she said as she got up to give Kara a hug.

“No problem,” Kara replied taking a seat across from Olivia.

Olivia took another sip of her coffee and saw how intently Kara was eyeing her. “What’s wrong?” she asked her.

“Olivia, seriously, coffee isn’t the best drink of choice right now,” she said again.

Olivia raised an eyebrow and slowly put her cup back down. “Why?” she asked curiously.

“Because…” Kara began. Olivia leaned in closer, waiting for her to finish. “Look, Brendon told me that you’re pregnant,” she almost whispered.

Olivia’s eyes widened. It was no wonder his sister had been persistent that she not drink the coffee. But she really didn’t expect Brendon to tell anyone in his family about her pregnancy.

Before Olivia could respond, Kara went on, “Oh gosh, that’s probably why you asked me to meet you; so you could tell me yourself. I’m sorry,” she said, sitting back in her chair.

Olivia smiled at how quick Kara was to consider someone else’s feelings. She quickly shook her head. “No, that’s not what I wanted to tell you,” she replied.

Kara picked up her head and looked at Olivia curiously. “Then what do you want to tell me?”

Olivia licked her lips and took in a deep breath. “I-I’m leaving,” she let out.

“You’re leaving? To where?” Kara asked.

“Um…to Seattle. I’m going to go to U of W,” Olivia explained.

Kara let Olivia’s information sink in. “You’re leaving to go to college? All in the way in Seattle?” Olivia nodded her head. “But why? Who’s going to help you? How are you going to take care of a baby while you’re at college? How-”

Olivia cut her off before she could continue. “Whoa, slow down. I’m going because I want to. Because, that’s what I had planned to do after graduation. I don’t see any reason to stay here.”

“Look, I don’t know if I’m supposed to tell you this, but Brendon seemed kinda excited when he told me you were pregnant. I mean, at first he said he was scared and wasn’t sure, but that he thought about it and was looking forward to it.”

Olivia felt her heart sink, wishing Kara hadn’t said any of that to her. “I think whatever fight you two had before he left can be fixed. I think this baby can fix it. So, you have to stay. Brendon will be so disappointed and sad that you left.”

Olivia shook her head. “I’m not pregnant,” she whispered.

Kara’s mood seemed to change instantly. “You lied?” she almost yelled. “You thought telling Brendon you were pregnant would get him back? Is that what you thought?”

“No, of course not. I would never do that to someone,” Olivia replied. “I lost the baby,” she whispered.

Kara’s face softened. “What?”

Olivia sank bank into her seat, propping her arms up on the arms of the chair. “I had a miscarriage a couple of days ago. The doctor said it wasn’t anything I did, that it was common during that stage of the pregnancy.”

“Olivia, I’m so sorry. I should’ve known you wouldn’t lie about being pregnant. I’m-I’m sorry,” Kara apologized.

Olivia shrugged her shoulders and looked out the window. “Maybe it was for the best. Maybe we weren’t meant to be parents; to be connected by that baby.” Olivia turned her direction towards Kara. “I don’t know, but I just feel that I need to leave. If I stayed here, I’d just be reminded of Brendon and what could’ve been.”

Kara looked down at the table for a bit before looking back at Olivia. “Are you going to tell him?” she asked.

“I can’t. He’s living his dream. I don’t wanna ruin that experience for him with this. I just want him to be happy,” she said sadly.

“Do you want me to tell him?” Kara asked.

“Just tell him I left for college. I’m sure he could figure it out from there.” She smiled. “But if he doesn’t, you can if you want.”


--| |--


Brendon quickly knocked on the front door of his parent’s house. Per Olivia’s request, they had returned to Vegas so they could tell his parents what was going on. Brendon began to become impatient when no one immediately answered and started to bang louder, until finally the door opened.

“Hey, would you give it a rest?” Kara said, as she stood there with her hand on her hip, staring angrily at her brother.

“What the hell are you doing here? Where’re mom and dad?” Brendon asked.

“They went to Colorado to visit relatives; they should be back in a couple of days. But why are you here? Aren’t you supposed to be in California with Olivia? Where is Olivia? Did something happen to the baby?” Kara asked frantically.

Brendon couldn’t help but laugh at his sister. He grabbed her shoulders to calm her down. “Hey, chill out. She’s fine, the baby’s fine. We’re good. Something just happened over there that rattled her up a bit and she was insistent that we come back ASAP,” he explained.

“Rattled up over what?”

“Jason,” Olivia answered and she walked up to the door. “Hey Kara.”

“Hey sweetie. Now what about Jason?” she asked, as she opened the door for them to come inside.

They sat down in the living room as Olivia explained to Kara what happened to her back in California.

“Okay, first of all, how did Jason not notice you were pregnant to begin with? I mean, it’s not like you’re not showing,” Kara chuckled.

Olivia gave her a dirty look, but answered, “Honestly, I’m not sure how he didn’t notice either. I guess he was too into me and him to figure it out.”

“So…what now? Do you think he’ll really go through with getting a paternity test?” Kara asked.

Olivia let out a huge sigh. “Yeah, I think he would. He could afford to anyways.”

“It doesn’t matter, because that kid isn’t his!” Brendon said angrily as he got up from the couch.

Kara and Olivia looked up at him with shock. His eyebrows were scrunched together and his fist clenched against his sides. Olivia had never seen him this angry before. And for some reason, it made her smile.

She got up and took one of his hands in hers. “Hey, calm down. Let him do the stupid test and then you can laugh at his ass when it proves that he isn’t the father. Doesn’t that sound good?” she asked, hoping to make him feel better.

Brendon smirked a little, trying his best not to laugh, but when Olivia started to, he couldn’t help it. “Yeah, that’d be hilarious. It just makes me so angry that he’s still trying to get you back and take our baby from us.”

“Sounds like someone I know…” she said, looking right at him.

“Don’t ever compare me to that scum. I know I was persistent…very persistent, but he’s just doing it for the wrong reasons. I know we were meant to be together.”

Kara rolled her eyes at them. “Ugh…you two are so annoying with your lovey dovey-ness,” she commented.

Brendon laughed. “Already getting annoyed with Josh?”

“Maybe…” she answered back.

Brendon kissed the tip of Olivia nose and hugged her tightly. “Okay, I’m gonna go call Spencer real quick. How about we all go out to lunch in a bit?” Olivia and Kara nodded.

When Brendon went to the kitchen to make his call, Kara pulled Olivia down next to her on the couch. “So, I’ve been wanting to ask you if you’ve planned a baby shower yet.”

Olivia sadly shook her head. “My cousin was supposed to help with it, but she’s been so busy with work and planning her wedding, we never got a chance to.”

Kara smiled widely. “Perfect!” she exclaimed. “I mean, I just wanted to throw you one,” she explained.

“Really? I just kinda gave up on the idea. You really don’t have to.”

Kara waved her off. “Stop, of course I want to and I’m going to. Don’t worry about anything. I’ll even invite my parents, so you guys can tell them everything.”

“You’d do that?” Olivia asked.

“Of course, sweetie. You’re family, always have been, even when my loser brother broke up with you. Everything will be perfect.” Olivia looked unsure about that statement. “It will be, I promise. Nothing bad will happen at your baby shower,” Kara smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Long time, huh? This was kinda (okay it is) a let down. Pretty much a filler. I think there's about two more chapters left in this story, but don't quote me on that, because it may be more than that. However, I am pretty sure it's 2 more chapters. Anyways, I apologize for the long delay in updates and how cruddy this chapter was. Work and school...school and work, bleh.

Special thanks to everyone who has stuck around!