Status: Alive and well. :D

Someday

What Happens?

“That was really pretty.” Aaron commented on our way home after the Christmas Eve program at church.
“Haha. No. I screwed up. I was the only second alto there, and I screwed up. It sounded horrible.” I folded my arms across my chest indignantly.
“You sounded gorgeous. I couldn’t tell the difference.” He said, trying to make me feel better.
“That’s because you aren’t a very musical person.” I stuck my tongue out at him, turning to face him a little in my seat.
“Thanks. Because four years of choir, bells, and piano mean nothing.”
“Nope.” The word was short and bounced a little as I said it. I smiled brightly at him. “Ok, so I didn’t screw up too bad, I was off a third on one of my notes, so I filled in the missing third between the first and second tenors’ fifth. Big deal. I was still off, and I know it.”
“If you were filling in the empty hole in the triad, it probably sounded better than it would have otherwise.”
“You’re only saying that. You have to make me feel better.”
“Want to. Not have to.” He smiled as he pulled up along the curb outside his house.
“Sure, whatever.” I mumbled as I climbed out of the car and started around the front of the car.
“Hey, you coming over later?” He asked as he locked the car.
“I doubt it. But I’ll see you tomorrow for sure.” I gave his hand a quick squeeze as I passed him into the middle of the road.
“Okay, but can we walk tonight? I want to spend as much time as possible with you as possible before I go back to school.”
“I know. I do too. I’ll try. I’ll text you later if I can.” I said, turning around to walk backwards to look at him for a minute. I smiled and turned back around before I tripped over the curb. I bounced up the front steps and opened the door, welcoming the warm air from inside on my bare legs.
~~~~
I looked at the clock on the wall and sighed, wondering how much longer this game of Monopoly could go on before everyone got too tired to keep playing. I rolled the dice, and moved my spaces, thinking just how boring this game really got after awhile. Just then Angel yawned, followed closely by mom, dad, Kat, and just about everyone else.
“Time for bed. We have early church in the morning. Everybody be ready by nine.” Dad said, standing up from his spot at the head of the table. We counted money and property worth to see who had won for the night. Luke had. I patted my little brother on the head and smiled at him, the threat in my eyes to cut him off at the knees if he got any taller. We put all the pieces away and everyone headed to their own rooms, except me. I grabbed my coat and gloves out of the front hall and turned on the porch light so everyone knew I was outside and not to lock the front door.
I texted Aaron and told him to meet me at the library if he still wanted to walk for awhile. I looked at the time and slowly it hit me that it was after 11. I blinked my eyes a few times and sighed, waiting for the sheer exhaustion of the day to hit me. I sat down on the library steps and yawned, pulling my hood over my ears better and leaning my head on the metal railing. I let my eyes fall shut for a second.
I jerked awake when I felt electricity jerk through my face. I looked up and saw Aaron standing above me, blocking the light from the street lamp. I stood up and pulled my coat down from where it was trying to ride up in the back, exposing my back to the cold.
“You sure you wanna be here?” He asked as our hands found each other and we fell into step together, walking toward the park.
“Yeah. We had our Christmas Monopoly game tonight.”
“Ew.” He mumbled, knowing just how tiring it can be.
“Yeah. But how’s life?” I asked, knowing a conversation would wake me up.
“Pretty good at the moment.” He laughed a bit, squeezing my hand a little. “I mean, I’m here, with you, again. I’m actually comfortable again. I’m happy again. I haven’t been since May.” His voice dropped even lower than usual, meaning I had to try to hear him.
“Hey, me too. But we aren’t talking about what happened. We’re just going to be good with what we have now and not worry about what has happened to us.” I paused for a second, waiting for a sign of agreement. “Okay?” I asked, prompting him to agree with me.
“Yeah. Okay.” He agreed as we walked into the park, the remnants of the snowball war barely visible in the darkness. We bypassed the playground and headed for the bridge to the island. We walked out to the island and sat down on one of the benches. He let go of my hand and put his arm around me, letting me snuggle gently into his side. We sat in silence for awhile, both of us drifting off.
“Hey, Aaron…” I let my sentence trail off.
“Yeah, Riah? What is it?” He leaned down to look at me.
“What are we doing?” I paused, not wanting to continue, but not willing to let him talk. “Wait. Let me finish.” I took a deep breath as he nodded. I sat up and turned to face him, sticking my left leg under me to hang off the edge of the bench. “What are we doing? This, obviously. But what happens when this gets hard again? What happens when you go back to school and I start falling for Chris again, start looking forward to spending time with him? What happens when we forget to talk to each other for a couple days? What happens when all the things said this week mean nothing in our everyday lives? What happens when this becomes a bad idea? What happens when we just stop caring for each o—“
He stopped my lips from continuing my rant with his own lips now planted firmly on mine. I sighed slightly and fell into it, every negative thought falling out of my mind, replaced only with the good things. I eventually pulled back, the feeling of good falling away just as quickly as it appeared.
“No. What happens when what I said happens?”