Status: Finished...

My Friend Jane

Three

“Get up!” I yelled at Jane’s unconscious body. I had just dragged her into my bedroom and tossed her on my bed.

She rolled her head and looked at me slowly. “What?” she mumbled.

“Did you really do that?” I shrunk back. I was…scared of her. I truly was now.

“Yes.” She uttered.

Jane sat up and her hair draped over her face. I tucked some behind her ear. “You shouldn’t be so afraid of what people think of you.” I changed the subject.

“What do you mean?” She asked.

“What I mean is that you don’t have to starve and cut yourself. If you would have just told me things could be so much better right now. No one would have judged you.” I put a hand on her shoulder.

She bit into her lip. They were chapped and her cheekbones were ready to burst free out of her skin. Her boney fingers twirled together. She was a living skeleton and it was my entire fault.

I caused this. If I had gone deeper into the subject of Blake she would be so different. She might be in jail now but she’d be better.

“I’m not stopping for you or anyone else .” She said suddenly.

“Why not?” My voice broke. “I don’t like you hurting yourself for no reason.”

“I didn’t like hurting Blake.” She scoffed.

“Why’d you do it?” I grabbed on her arm and held her down.

She wouldn’t run from me.

“He..” She didn’t move at all which surprised me. “Tried to kill me first.”

I froze. I tried to say “What?” but all that came out was a giant sob. Her brother? The one that was so nice to her and me for all these years.

“I want a shower. I feel horrible now.”

“Fine.” I said.

I walked her into the bathroom and shut the door behind me. I stood out there and tried to go through everything I had just heard her say. That couldn’t be right.