Odoroki

twenty-nine.

She didn’t realize that they’d fallen asleep until the cramping sensation in her lower back woke her up. She let out a quiet groan, shifting a little against Yuu to see if that would make it any better, and her eyes only opened when she realized all attempts were futile. She sighed, shifting once again so that her weight wasn’t all on her back, and laid a hand on her stomach, murmuring an apology to the baby that was fluttering around- protesting movement and the quiet sounds of discomfort that she made.

She could feel Yuu shifting slightly, too, and she looked up, greeting him with a warm smile, and her heart melted as he grinned and ducked forward for a short kiss. He smiled as softly as he always did when he drew back, and she nudged her forehead against his and let out a low breath of discomfort as her waking body tried to figure out what ached so much.
“You okay?” he asked softly, and he stroked at her hair, his dark brown eyes gazing concernedly into hers. She nodded, smiling a little, and rested her head on his shoulder.

“Just a little tender,” she breathed, and she pressed closer to him, seeking the warmth of his body for relief. “I guess he was pretty active last night.” She sighed, and then she pressed a kiss to his neck, smiling against his skin. “Even though I guess we were pretty active, too.” She heard him chuckle softly, and she felt his arm at her back draw her closer. And she flushed a little as faint flashes of the previous night breezed through her thoughts, and she could only kiss his shoulder again and murmur that she loved him as her stomach fluttered in response to the memories.

“Glad we moved from the couch, then?”

She breathed out a laugh- he had impeccable timing, and his sense of humor was even more so. “You’ve no idea,” she said, and she smiled as she tilted her head to look up at him, and her eyes fluttered closed as his lips met hers for another kiss. His hand found her cheek and his thumb gently stroked her skin, and if she hadn’t been thankful for the offer of living with him when he’d made it, she was now. The idea of living in New York, without him, and raising their baby that way made her insides twist in the worst way, and she was grateful that he’d made the offer before her pregnancy had reached month six. The third trimester was going to be hell on her body, and she would at least have him near to help her get through it.

“Love you,” he said softly, and he brushed affectionately at her cheek.

“Love you too.” She smiled and then she drew back. “I need to shower, though, if that’s okay.”

He smiled, chuckling. “Of course.” He kissed her forehead, and she gave him a smile as she straightened- doing her best to sit up with little complaint- and then slipped out of bed. She shivered a little as the cool air of his apartment hit her bare skin, but once she was in the shower and had turned on the water, the shiver that passed through her was something that felt completely different- there was some part of her that had been a bit disappointed when she’d had to pull away from their kiss, and that part of her was making itself known as it reminded her of all the things that Yuu was capable of making her feel.

She felt a flutter in her stomach as images flashed in her mind- images of Yuu hovering above her, images of how very lost in it all he’d become, images of him slowly unraveling as he’d made love to her- and she felt that she really could curse the hormones of pregnancy if she had the right words for it. Something about the way that he’d strived to give her everything she’d quietly asked for- and even a few things that she hadn’t- made an all-too-familiar chill run through her body, and she knew that if the two of them were going to be meeting with Takanori- or Kouyou, for that matter- then something would have to be done about what felt like a ridiculous need for intimacy.

Admittedly, their Christmas together had been the best Christmas that she could remember having, and so she wasn’t going to complain about anything, but one dose of Yuu called for another- and she wasn’t sure how he was going to be able to leave for work in the morning with her hormones like this. And she found it bothersome that she only ever understood how much she needed him- even if it wasn’t in the intimate sense- when she was alone, and it was strange to her how quickly he and the baby they were now having had become the main focus of her life.

If she hadn’t known him any better, she would have thought that he was only with her because he felt an obligation to be, but after getting to know him for months, she felt safe trusting him. When he kissed her, he did so with all the love in the world, and when the two of them were together, it was all they could do to keep to public etiquette and only hold hands. And while such an impressive desire for constant togetherness should have worried her, it didn’t. Finally, she had someone in her life that could give her what she’d dreamed about since her childhood, and she’d be hard-pressed to want to give him up now.

She allowed her eyes to close as the water rinsed soap from her body, and as she finished her shower- washing her hair, treating it with conditioner, and then rinsing it as though she was washing every worry on the planet away- she allowed it to sink in that she and Yuu were, in fact, serious, and she forced all other doubts away as she turned off the water and stepped out. The baby shifted around inside her as she dried herself off and wrapped a towel around herself- the largest one that Yuu had barely held up to the swell of her stomach- and after a moment squeezing extra water out of her hair, she returned to Yuu’s bedroom, and she stopped at the door.

His back was to her, and he held a phone to his ear, and from what little she could hear, she figured that it was Takanori he was talking to. For a moment, she hesitated, wanting to stay in the doorway and wait for him to finish with his call.

But then he gave a small sigh, and he paused, and it was then that Natasha heard a sniffle and another sigh.

Her gut wrenched terribly, and she could feel her heart ripping itself in two.

Yuu was crying.